• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    My gas grill is about 20 years old, and I don't know what brand or model it is.
    It's a cheapo, I know that much because it was given to me by my dad when he decided to upgrade. He always buys cheap crap and replaces it when it breaks.

I've had it for the past 15 years. I've replaced the burner units at least a dozen times, and she's still going strong.
    She's UGLY, but she gets the job done. I suppose I could repaint her, but what's the point? I ain't havin' the Queen over for tea.

A few years back, I was thinking about getting a NEW stainless steel grill, but when I was at the store I found the replacement burners my grill uses on CLOSEOUT for $1.00 each. I bought them all, and now I'm set for the next decade or so.

I can do anything those "fancy" grills can do. Perfectly sear a steak, smoke some ribs, etc., because I know exactly how this grill is going to behave.
    Charcoal might taste a little bit better if whoever's using it knows what they are doing, but charcoal is a pain in the ass. With a gas grill, I can grill out every night and I don't have to spend my time cleaning.

:twocents::twocents: <-- Yep, that's $.04, due to inflation.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    That looks pretty nice.

Would anyone like to weigh in on the pros and cons of one of these versus a Weber 22.5" kettle?

This thread is making me hungry!

I have some experience with a kettle grill too. I like the offset firebox because the kettle grill only has so much area. Trying to slow cook meat (or other food) requires putting the coals on one side of the kettle, or as low (far away) as possible for the indirect heat. The kettle limits the amount of charcoal, which decreases the length of time the coals will remain hot. You have to replenish the charcoal more often with the kettle.

With the offset firebox, I also don't have to manipulate the cook surface lid, the grill grates, or the meat unless I wish to. I can add coals or wood as I desire, and the food stays nice and cozy in the larger part.

These were done recently.

Brisket Before:

image | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brisket After:

Pork Shoulder Before:

Pork Shoulder After:

Pulled:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Here's a fellow Roadfooder doing some St. Louis ribs on his Weber Kettle. It's more than doable. It's good eats!

Smoked Pork ribs on my charcoal grill

Alright, I guess I found a new forum to frequent. Farewell, friends!

:D

That looks delicious. I think you've talked me into it. I'll be watching for a good deal on a 22.5" weber kettle.

Yesterday I had my first success with charcoal on my little portable grill (also a weber). I picked up the weber chimney and used that on my side burner to light the charcoal, and was able to avoid that lighter fluid/match-light flavor in the food. That chimney makes life so much easier with charcoal.

I really need to read up on how to control the heat and such.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    MrJarrell-
    I've been a Modrator on Roadfood.com for almost a decade. There are some fine folks and great photos and information on that site. I saw those ribs earlier and thought they looked familiar... Nice job and Costco Meat has always been good on the grill. Yesterday we had a Brisket with our ribs and sometime back we did two 'Racks of Lamb" which turned out great also !

2190.jpg

2191.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Alright, I've got a few more questions.

How important is the ash catcher system that comes on the bottom of the higher end weber grills?

Also, how important is the lid thermometer? Can one be added easily enough if you drill through the lid?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hey, Mayor Al! Nice to see you at INGO, too! I've been over at RF for years now and enjoyed seeing your posts many a time! Especially liked the hog hunt! Don't post a lot there, but I do so enjoy seeing all the trip reports and have hit up many places that other RF'ers have recommended. That's some nice looking lamb, there! Something I'm partial to.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

How important is the ash catcher system that comes on the bottom of the higher end weber grills?

Also, how important is the lid thermometer? Can one be added easily enough if you drill through the lid?
    Can't speak to the ash catcher system, Steve. Mine doesn't have it. I just scoop them out or push them through the vents into the ash pan and then empty it. Maybe someone else that uses one can answer that. As for the lid thermometer, I just use a long probed meat thermometer and stick it through the top vent and let it rest that way. I also use a digital therm with a probe to insert into larger pieces of meat. Most of the time, tho I just cook to the clock, especially when grilling. Smoking and barbecuing is when I pay attention to the temp. If you wanted to drill through and put a thermometer in the lid, it's certainly doable, but the lid vent method has worked well for me for years.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Mine has the catch can. My first Weber did not, I used an old aluminum pot and just set it on the tray under the grill which actually works better than the catch can on the more expensive models in my opinion.

If you drill thru the porcelain it will expose the metal, you know what happens down the road from there.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Shop Weber One-Touch Porcelain-Enameled Charcoal Grill at Lowes.com

This is the answer. Once you go to charcoal you will never be able to eat food from a gas grill again. It's "only" $100, has an ash pan. No thermometer necessary, and this particular grill doesn't come with one. I got a feel for it after cooking one round of burgers. I'm sure you could drill a whole fairly easy, or you could just stick a thermometer through one of the vent wholes while cooking. Don't spend the money on an overpriced Weber propane grill, and don't spend the money on BGE. My $100 Weber makes the best damn food I've ever had off a grill.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    looks like new. Must be stolen for that price. Does it have the propane tank for lighting charcoal.

He told me the history. Nice guy, pretty sure it wasn't stolen. He said he had 6 emails within hours but I was the first to call him back so I got it. I couldn't believe the price.

No propane tank, I'm not familiar with that part. He replaced the fiberglass table top with cedar planks. It's in great shape. The grate is rusty, I might replace that. It included the two half-circle charcoal holders (not sure what they're called).

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    He told me the history. Nice guy, pretty sure it wasn't stolen. He said he had 6 emails within hours but I was the first to call him back so I got it. I couldn't believe the price.

No propane tank, I'm not familiar with that part. He replaced the fiberglass table top with cedar planks. It's in great shape. The grate is rusty, I might replace that. It included the two half-circle charcoal holders (not sure what they're called).
    You can get grates, as well as lots of other cool accessories, at your local Lowe's. I like the top grates that have the flip up sides. Makes adding more charcoal, chips or chunks a lot easier. I usually replace my top grate every 2 years on average. They just don't hold up for me.

Top Bottom