• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Alright, guys, I'm trying to join the ranks of the expert grill-masters here on INGO. I could use a little advice.

First of all, I've got a Brinkmann 5-burner grill. It's on its 4th season and the burners and flame spreaders are just about done for. I know, I know, it's junk and I should buy a BGE or a Weber and be done with it. It's just not in the financial cards right now, unfortunately.

So...have any of you had any luck buying some nice parts and upgrading / refurbishing a cheapo grill? Would some nice burners or better grates be a good investment, or should I just buy some cheap stuff from eBay and hold out a few more years until I can get something nice?

Second question: I'm considering getting into smoking. What kind do you guys like? Propane / electric / charcoal? How important is a thermostat control?

And feel free to throw in any other tips, tricks or recipes that you enjoy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Alright, guys, I'm trying to join the ranks of the expert grill-masters here on INGO. I could use a little advice.

First of all, I've got a Brinkmann 5-burner grill. It's on its 4th season and the burners and flame spreaders are just about done for. I know, I know, it's junk and I should buy a BGE or a Weber and be done with it. It's just not in the financial cards right now, unfortunately.

So...have any of you had any luck buying some nice parts and upgrading / refurbishing a cheapo grill? Would some nice burners or better grates be a good investment, or should I just buy some cheap stuff from eBay and hold out a few more years until I can get something nice?

Second question: I'm considering getting into smoking. What kind do you guys like? Propane / electric / charcoal? How important is a thermostat control?

And feel free to throw in any other tips, tricks or recipes that you enjoy.

I understand what you're talking about with the Weber costing a lot of money and not being in the cards. Knowing what I know now, I'd get the dirt cheapest thing you can to get you buy until you can afford the weber. Here is a thread/poll I started that may be some good reading for you https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/286420-are_weber_grills_worth_the_money.html. I wrote that seriously hoping people would talk me out of even thinking about buying a weber and because of the overwhelming support for the weber I ended up buying one. It's one of those things where once you go Weber there's just no going back. Last night I had three sets of neighbors over and had 9 kids total running around my place. Everyone ate off the Weber and was impressed with my grilling skills. The funny this is that I completely suck at grilling. Worse than I suck with a shotgun, but because a Weber grill does such a nice job of cooking evenly I looked like a grill master. That's my motivational story for you to save up and buy the Weber.

As far as a smoker goes, I think they're a pain in the hind end. My in laws bought me one and all it ever did was sit beside the house and rust. I did use it a handful of times, and it didn't do anything that special. Looking at the design of the smoke I took a small stainless steel bowl of water and started putting that on my grill along with other foods man oh man I got pretty close to the same effect of having smoked food. With a stainless bowl of water on the grill it would steam and we never had dry chicken again from that point on. It's not quite a smoker, but a $5 stainless bowl full of water will get you close enough that you might not think spending money on a smoker is worth it.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Nothing to add on the grill topic, but I did just get a smoker. I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker (the one with the digital controls). I've only used it a few times so far but the food's turned out great.

Low, consistent temperature is the key for smoking. And by low I mean in the 200-200 degree range. I like the one I bought because it's about as close to "set it and forget it" as you can get. I maintains the temp very well and all I have to do is check on it every 3-4 hours to see if I need to add more wood chips.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I understand what you're talking about with the Weber costing a lot of money and not being in the cards. Knowing what I know now, I'd get the dirt cheapest thing you can to get you buy until you can afford the weber. Here is a thread/poll I started that may be some good reading for you https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/286420-are_weber_grills_worth_the_money.html. I wrote that seriously hoping people would talk me out of even thinking about buying a weber and because of the overwhelming support for the weber I ended up buying one. It's one of those things where once you go Weber there's just no going back. Last night I had three sets of neighbors over and had 9 kids total running around my place. Everyone ate off the Weber and was impressed with my grilling skills. The funny this is that I completely suck at grilling. Worse than I suck with a shotgun, but because a Weber grill does such a nice job of cooking evenly I looked like a grill master. That's my motivational story for you to save up and buy the Weber.

Darn you. Darn you and your Weber :):

Thanks for the advice!

Nothing to add on the grill topic, but I did just get a smoker. I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker (the one with the digital controls). I've only used it a few times so far but the food's turned out great.

Low, consistent temperature is the key for smoking. And by low I mean in the 200-200 degree range. I like the one I bought because it's about as close to "set it and forget it" as you can get. I maintains the temp very well and all I have to do is check on it every 3-4 hours to see if I need to add more wood chips.

What have you smoked on it so far?

That sounds pretty nice, and low-maintenance.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    When it comes to grilling I am 100% charcoal man, I have a fan on my grill that will maintain my temp for grilling ribs, you can pick up a charcoal grill for cheap, I am actually gonna build my own grill once I get my new house.

But for cheap you can pick up the original weber and and have fun learning how to play with the coals, learn about the hot spots and warm spots, learn different technics for different meats and different outcomes. its been pretty fun for me over the last few years doing that.

As far as smoking goes unless you want to spend years learning how to maintain temps in a smoker just get a electric.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Ok. New question: Which child should I sell so that I can purchase a BGE?

While that's certainly an option, selling a child is a bit drastic. There's a thriving market in human organs and tissue, and I'd wager that you could pick one up for a kidney and maybe a chunk of liver. Or maybe one of the testicles that your wife keeps in her purse, anyway.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Go with a Weber kettle charcoal grill. While not as nice as a BGE they are still extremely versatile, reasonably priced and will allow you to not only learn the ins and outs of charcoal but you can smoke on it, bake on it & grill on it as well. Buy a chimney coal starter while you're at the store and you'll be all set.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Go with a Weber kettle charcoal grill. While not as nice as a BGE they are still extremely versatile, reasonably priced and will allow you to not only learn the ins and outs of charcoal but you can smoke on it, bake on it & grill on it as well. Buy a chimney coal starter while you're at the store and you'll be all set.

I've always stuck with gas because my wife complained about the taste of charcoal-grilled food. That said, I've wondered lately if she didn't like it because I had no idea what I was doing and I made the food taste like lighter fluid (is that possible?). I couldn't taste the difference, but I'm anosmic and I suspect my sense of taste doesn't work quite right. Maybe I'll try out charcoal (lit with a chimney) and do a blind taste-test and see if she still dislikes it.

Have you smoked in a kettle grill? How was it? Could you keep the temps low enough, and how much maintenance did it need over the hours of smoking?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Have you smoked in a kettle grill? How was it? Could you keep the temps low enough, and how much maintenance did it need over the hours of smoking?

Here's how I did it yrs. ago. Put enough charcoal in to keep the wood chips smoking. Smoking should only take 40 mins. Then add the rest of the coals, and finish off the cook. Worked for me, and I have a local reputation. :yesway:

I have to admit I only use gas now, except on my "Big O", and that's a totally different cooker. :yesway:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I just bought a propane grill for this year. My wife doesn't do well with charcoal and since I work 3-11s she wanted a gas grill so that she can use it when I'm not home.
    I think one of the big things you need to distinguish is do you really want to SMOKE or do you want to BBQ? BBQ uses smoke for flavor and cooking, but it also uses heat to add "Bark" to the meat. To me, they are two very seperate things. With a weber kettle grill, you can get both. By using hard wood and natural lump charcoal, I can get some dang good "BBQ" ribs, pork butt and even brisket. I first wanted a smoker but when I realized that I like to BBQ more than smoke, I opted for the weber. You can get them for around or under $100 and I have found some at yard sales for a good price.
    Just my :twocents:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Here's how I did it yrs. ago. Put enough charcoal in to keep the wood chips smoking. Smoking should only take 40 mins. Then add the rest of the coals, and finish off the cook. Worked for me, and I have a local reputation. :yesway:

I have to admit I only use gas now, except on my "Big O", and that's a totally different cooker. :yesway:

40 minutes?

I thought the point of smoking was a long, slow cook. Gosh this is complicated :):

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've always stuck with gas because my wife complained about the taste of charcoal-grilled food. That said, I've wondered lately if she didn't like it because I had no idea what I was doing and I made the food taste like lighter fluid (is that possible?). I couldn't taste the difference, but I'm anosmic and I suspect my sense of taste doesn't work quite right. Maybe I'll try out charcoal (lit with a chimney) and do a blind taste-test and see if she still dislikes it.

I smoke using a Weber kettle. It works great. Shoot, a number of people have done it at competitions and won. The key to charcoal grilling and smoking is using good charcoal. I use Royal Oak lump hardwood and have used other lump hardwood charcoals, too. Avoid briquets like Kingsford (although they do make a competition version that is supposedly almost as good as lump). Also, use a charcoal chimney and newspaper. Fuel always leaves a nasty aftertaste.

Smoking in a Weber kettle takes a bit of getting used to a tweaking, but once you're in your comfort zone it goes along just fine. I do spare ribs and shoulders and have always had pretty good luck with them. Doesn't use a lot of charcoal, at low temps. Sometimes I just use wood chunks and get a great tasting result. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't smoke in a good grill. You can. Just takes some practice. I'd also suggest getting a copy of the Weber Big Book Of Grilling. Lots of advice and recipes and how to's.

Maintenance is easy. Sweep out the ashes. Use a drip pan with fatty stuff and you won't have to worry about cleanup.

Also helps to have a nice variety of wood chips on hand. Mesquite is great for steaks and beef. Oak for just about anything. Maple and cherry for birds. And hickory for pork and chicken, too. Chunks will go slower and last longer, but they definitely have a place.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Fuel always leaves a nasty aftertaste.

Ahah! I bet this is what the wife didn't like! I didn't know that.

Smoking in a Weber kettle takes a bit of getting used to a tweaking, but once you're in your comfort zone it goes along just fine. I do spare ribs and shoulders and have always had pretty good luck with them. Doesn't use a lot of charcoal, at low temps. Sometimes I just use wood chunks and get a great tasting result. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't smoke in a good grill. You can. Just takes some practice. I'd also suggest getting a copy of the Weber Big Book Of Grilling. Lots of advice and recipes and how to's.

Ok, a few more questions for you. How long did it take you to do spare ribs in the kettle? And during that time, how often do you have to add charcoal? Were the vents enough to keep the temps where you wanted them, and did you have to monitor the temps with a thermometer?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ahah! I bet this is what the wife didn't like! I didn't know that.

Ok, a few more questions for you. How long did it take you to do spare ribs in the kettle? And during that time, how often do you have to add charcoal? Were the vents enough to keep the temps where you wanted them, and did you have to monitor the temps with a thermometer?
    I always monitor the kettle temp with a thermometer. I just drop a meat therm down a vent hole and go with what it's reading. Usually, (in bigger pieces of meat) I'll stick a digital probe in the meat to insure it gets to where I want it. Baby backs: I usually do BB's for about 3 or 4 hours at a slightly higher than normal temp. They don't take long at all. Charcoal change is usually 3 times or thereabouts. Spareribs: I let them go for all day, up to 8 hours. Sometimes I wrap them in foil, but usually I don't. Dry rub them and into the rack they go. Might add new coals about every 1.5-2 hours. Chips or chunks early on for smoke and later just coals for heat. Usually the vents are just perfect for maintaining heat at the level you need and want. I have a big Brinkman that I have barely used for smoking. The Weber does most of the work for me.

Top Bottom