• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am not trying to insult you, nor anyone else in this thread by any means so please do not take it that way.

But, extra weight on the body is there for ONE reason and ONLY one reason. The intake was/is more than the ouput. To loose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. PERIOD no majic nothing and everything else is just to enhance THAT principle.

To keep it off, you must CONTINUE to burn more calories than you consume. PERIOD. once the weight is off, if you then intake more than you burn, then your body will store it and you will put weight back on.

Pills, diets, surgury, all if it is to just enhance that one principle and try to make it so you dont have to work quite so hard at it but no matter what thats what has to happen.

I used to agree with you 100%. Then my thyroid took a **** on me.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm going to go off topic from the OP's original question, but hey I'm the OP! Genetics really seems to play a part in obesity amongst other factors. Here is an article:Column: Genetics drives obesity; so don't judge - USATODAY.com

Also true.

FTO Gene:
    International Journal of Obesity - Abstract of article: The FTO gene and measured food intake in children

Conclusions: We showed that children with two copies of the lower-risk FTO alleles ate less than those with one or two higher-risk alleles. We conclude that the T allele is protective against overeating by promoting responsiveness to internal signals of satiety.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    If it were that simple, people on non-calorie-restrictive diets like the Atkins diet would rarely lose weight. I'm not advocating any specific diet, just pointing out that it isn't actually as simple as calories in (your mouth), calories out.

That said, it is also true that religiously eating fewer calories than you burn will cause you to lose weight over the time period that you eat less.

It is as simple as calories in, calories out. Figuring out the amount of calories you require to maintain your current bodyweight is what is a rough estimate, based on activity leves, muscle mass, fat mass, overall weight, and height.

People on non-restrictive diets like Atkins lose weight because they eat less calories over a period of time. The low-carb/ketosis style diets allow more satiety for a lesser amount of calories. Atkins followers eat less food than they would on a traditional diet.

A 300lb fellow isn't maintaining his weight on 3000 calories a day.

It's delicious food and a lack of willpower that attributes to weight gain.

None of this applies if you don't have normal body functions, however, that's an incredibly small percentage of the population.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Not true.

Insufficient nutrients can ultimately cause your metabolism to slow, which can lead to weight gain. Even if you are ultimately cutting calories.

What you eat matters. There are tons of other variables involved, as well.

My dad went on Atkins, increased his caloric intake hugely and lost weight.

I'm not saying that calories don't matter at all. Overeating is of course an issue. But pretending that there's nothing more to it is just silly.

If your metabolism slows due to poor nutrition, and you begin gaining weight, you're no longer eating at a caloric deficit. If you lower your calories, you'll resume weight loss. If you're gaining weight, you're not cutting calories.

People have gone to "extremes" to prove this. Look at the guy who ate nothing but fast food, the guy who ate nothing but Twinkies, the guy who ate nothing but oils and meats. The thing they all had in common was they ate at a caloric deficit and lost weight.

Nutrition is for body composition and health. Skinny/lean is not a sign of health, however, being obese is never a sign of health.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If your metabolism slows due to poor nutrition, and you begin gaining weight, you're no longer eating at a caloric deficit. If you lower your calories, you'll resume weight loss. If you're gaining weight, you're not cutting calories.

People have gone to "extremes" to prove this. Look at the guy who ate nothing but fast food, the guy who ate nothing but Twinkies, the guy who ate nothing but oils and meats. The thing they all had in common was they ate at a caloric deficit and lost weight.

Nutrition is for body composition and health. Skinny/lean is not a sign of health, however, being obese is never a sign of health.

Oh, I see what you're saying. If your metabolism slows then you just eat even less than you were already eating to account for slower metabolism.

This is of absolutely no use in the real world with real people who are trying to live their lives and lose weight. Continuously cutting calories until your body shuts down is not the answer.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    How about getting a different strain of gut bacteria that's less efficient @ getting all the energy from food. When the SHTF is when you need all that efficiency. Be lazy, eat what you like and stay skinny. The American dream...

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Oh, I see what you're saying. If your metabolism slows then you just eat even less than you were already eating to account for slower metabolism.

This is of absolutely no use in the real world with real people who are trying to live their lives and lose weight. Continuously cutting calories until your body shuts down is not the answer.

Don't believe that your caloric maintenance is going to drop to some crazy 1200 calories per day, or something.

If you're fat, you're eating quite a bit! A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to inhale 4000+ calories each day. Many people graze and gorge and can't even remember what or how much of what they put in their bodies. Eating less and less until you reach a healthy bodyfat might mean your maintenance is closer to 2500, something easy to stick to and not have to worry about.

I was trying to make a point about nutrition, but I absolutely don't recommend someone eats a terrible diet lacking proper micronutrients. That's silly and potentially harmful.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thyroid-haters unite!

Ugh. I went from 175lbs, lifting weights 5 days a week and running 6 miles three or four times a week to barely having the energy to get out of bed. It was like a slammed into a wall. It took my Dr 2 years to figure out what was going on, by then I was at 205. He kept telling me to go back to working out, I kept telling him I didn't have the energy to. He finally came up with the answer.

The problem I have now is that the medication to correct it also can trigger atrial fibrilation which I have as a pre-existing condition. The Dr will only prescribe me enough to barely get me into the low range of normal. If I mimic the diet of a rabbit and work out every day I might be lucky to lose a lb a week. It's frustrating.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I used to take thyroid medicine and didn't feel like it helped at all. My doctor said it didn't help him either so he quit taking it. Thyroid problems run in my family and many of my family members are overweight. The most obese ones were the most manipulative and lazy people you'd ever meet. They can blame it on medical issues all they want but it's only a small factor in their cases.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    How about getting a different strain of gut bacteria that's less efficient @ getting all the energy from food. When the SHTF is when you need all that efficiency. Be lazy, eat what you like and stay skinny. The American dream...
    I've been there with the after effects of antibiotics. It is not somewhere you want to go. Probiotics got me back on track.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was watching an episode of "The Price is Right" a while ago. The studio audience was made up of twins of all ages. One thing I found interesting is that the body types of the twins were identical. Tell me genetics have nothing to do with obesity.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Tell me genetics have nothing to do with obesity.

No more than laziness. My mother was 4' 10" tall and weighed over 300# several years of her life. She had thyroid problems amongst other things. But she was also the most sedentary person I ever knew. She'd call me from clear across the house to change the tv channel before she got a tv with a remote. Instead of getting out of bed and walking the 10', she'd yell at me to do it. If there was anyone around that she could get to do something for her, she would. She'd even say that she wished that I could get up and go to the bathroom for her. Her diet wasn't terrible but she pieced on a lot of junk.

Have you ever watched The Biggest Loser? The underlying mental status of these people is they never finish anything. When anything gets tough, they quit. It's a mindset problem.

I worked almost 3000 hours last year and when I got off work, I did nothing. I'm not as busy this year and when I get home, I generally do nothing. It's hard getting out of that rut. I'm 5' 8" and around 200-210#. I'm overweight and out of shape. I trucked all over Disney World for 10 days and constantly had to wait on my wife and daughter to keep up. Everyone around me walked at a snail's pace. I saw countless obese people riding scooters. I didn't think it was physically possible to run a mile until I got into high school. After spending 3 years in the Infantry, I learned pretty well what my body can do. There's a huge difference between thinking what you can handle and what you can really handle. When I get tired, I keep trucking on because I know I'm far from reaching my limits. Riding a scooter while obese only worsens the problem.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No more than laziness. My mother was 4' 10" tall and weighed over 300# several years of her life. She had thyroid problems amongst other things. But she was also the most sedentary person I ever knew. She'd call me from clear across the house to change the tv channel before she got a tv with a remote. Instead of getting out of bed and walking the 10', she'd yell at me to do it. If there was anyone around that she could get to do something for her, she would. She'd even say that she wished that I could get up and go to the bathroom for her. Her diet wasn't terrible but she pieced on a lot of junk.

Have you ever watched The Biggest Loser? The underlying mental status of these people is they never finish anything. When anything gets tough, they quit. It's a mindset problem.

I worked almost 3000 hours last year and when I got off work, I did nothing. I'm not as busy this year and when I get home, I generally do nothing. It's hard getting out of that rut. I'm 5' 8" and around 200-210#. I'm overweight and out of shape. I trucked all over Disney World for 10 days and constantly had to wait on my wife and daughter to keep up. Everyone around me walked at a snail's pace. I saw countless obese people riding scooters. I didn't think it was physically possible to run a mile until I got into high school. After spending 3 years in the Infantry, I learned pretty well what my body can do. There's a huge difference between thinking what you can handle and what you can really handle. When I get tired, I keep trucking on because I know I'm far from reaching my limits. Riding a scooter while obese only worsens the problem.
    You don't know what underlying medical problems those obese people riding scooters might have, like foot neuropathy, other foot or knee problems, heart problems, etc. You seem to have a lot of built up resentment from your childhood experience.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You don't know what underlying medical problems those obese people riding scooters might have, like foot neuropathy, other foot or knee problems, heart problems, etc. You seem to have a lot of built up resentment from your childhood experience.

Grow up with a morbidly obese parent and see how fun it is. Camping or other fun and active things? Ha!

I don't think anybody absolutely denies that medical conditions and genetics play a part in obesity. But to say that is the reason you're obese and you can't do anything about it is bull****. Obesity is largely a new epidemic over the last several decades. Has there been a genetic mutation that just now exploded in the last few decades? If its genetics, why does it effect the US much worse than other countries? How many morbidly obese people will you find in Africa vs African American populations? How many obese women would you find in American nightclub vs the streets of Budapest? I've walked those streets, I know. How Many obese Amish do you see?

As far as medical conditions, did these not exist 100 years ago? The average American leads a much more sedentary life than the rest of the world. 100 years ago, Americans were grinding out a living. Today, we drive around the Walmart parking lot until a close spot opens up. It's too much to walk an extra 100' to the door.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Grow up with a morbidly obese parent and see how fun it is. Camping or other fun and active things? Ha!

I don't think anybody absolutely denies that medical conditions and genetics play a part in obesity. But to say that is the reason you're obese and you can't do anything about it is bull****. Obesity is largely a new epidemic over the last several decades. Has there been a genetic mutation that just now exploded in the last few decades? If its genetics, why does it effect the US much worse than other countries? How many morbidly obese people will you find in Africa vs African American populations? How many obese women would you find in American nightclub vs the streets of Budapest? I've walked those streets, I know. How Many obese Amish do you see?

As far as medical conditions, did these not exist 100 years ago? The average American leads a much more sedentary life than the rest of the world. 100 years ago, Americans were grinding out a living. Today, we drive around the Walmart parking lot until a close spot opens up. It's too much to walk an extra 100' to the door.

I don't think anyone here is simplifying weight loss to the extreme idea that the only contributing factors are medical problems.

I was arguing against the idea that calories in and calories out are the only thing that matters in weight loss. Which I think is absurd. Of course overeating and a sedentary lifestyle are going to make you overweight.

But doing nothing but cutting calories and getting out more is not the answer for many people. They will end up making themselves miserable and unhealthy and ultimately gaining weight.

You have to combine proper nutrition with fewer calories and a good exercise plan. Even a simple steady exercise plan doesn't work for many people, they have to change it up daily in order to keep losing weight. This is how things work in the real world.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    My parents are obese. I used to weigh about #350. At least that is what I weighted January 1st 2011. By November 2011 I lost 125.5 pounds. I dropped the weight with only diet, exercise, and nutritional pills(1 multivitamin, 1 magnesium pill, 1 zinc pill every day).

My doctor blamed genetics and my thyroid. I called BS. I just woke up 3 hours earlier 5 days a week, went to the gym 5 days a week Monday-Friday and did a 2hour or 2.5hour workout, followed by 20 minutes in a sauna at about 175 degrees.

Don't give me that BS that more goes into it than had work and watching what you eat. That is only making excuses. Yes watching what you eat sucks, it really does, the first 10 days of a diet should make you feel like you are starving all the time. That shrinks your stomach and gets your body burning its fat reserves.

Anyone who blames family history/genetics has already thrown there hands in the air and given a vow to stay overweight.

I have been there, combating that attitude is the hardest thing to do, the second hardest is cutting your diet to about 1000-1200 calories a day for 7 months. And most people don't think they could do that, but you can, I know because I did it.

And i'm not gonna say it is not hard work, because it is hard, and it sucks. Sometimes I just wanted to go and buy a pizza and eat the whole thing and drink a coke, but you can't. You must completely eliminate high fructose corn syrup from your diet, it will kill you and your metabolism. There will be times in the beginning that you will feel so hungry you will stare at a box of cookies in your local grocery store for 5 straight minutes, and not even realize it, till a store worker comes up to you and asks if you are feeling all right. And of course you will not be feeling alright, because you are literally starving yourself to burn the fat you have.

All these excuses I have read on this thread are disgusting. When did America get filled with this attitude? Doctors have been wrong for years, remember when animal fats and sugars were bad? Then they found out that they actually were not so bad, and real sugar was better than high fructose corn syrup.

Anyone who says I don't know what I'm talking about, let me say this, I've been there. I could write a book about my weightloss experience. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My parents are obese. I used to weigh about #350. At least that is what I weighted January 1st 2011. By November 2011 I lost 125.5 pounds. I dropped the weight with only diet, exercise, and nutritional pills(1 multivitamin, 1 magnesium pill, 1 zinc pill every day).

My doctor blamed genetics and my thyroid. I called BS. I just woke up 3 hours earlier 5 days a week, went to the gym 5 days a week Monday-Friday and did a 2hour or 2.5hour workout, followed by 20 minutes in a sauna at about 175 degrees.

Don't give me that BS that more goes into it than had work and watching what you eat. That is only making excuses. Yes watching what you eat sucks, it really does, the first 10 days of a diet should make you feel like you are starving all the time. That shrinks your stomach and gets your body burning its fat reserves.

Anyone who blames family history/genetics has already thrown there hands in the air and given a vow to stay overweight.

I have been there, combating that attitude is the hardest thing to do, the second hardest is cutting your diet to about 1000-1200 calories a day for 7 months. And most people don't think they could do that, but you can, I know because I did it.

And i'm not gonna say it is not hard work, because it is hard, and it sucks. Sometimes I just wanted to go and buy a pizza and eat the whole thing and drink a coke, but you can't. You must completely eliminate high fructose corn syrup from your diet, it will kill you and your metabolism. There will be times in the beginning that you will feel so hungry you will stare at a box of cookies in your local grocery store for 5 straight minutes, and not even realize it, till a store worker comes up to you and asks if you are feeling all right. And of course you will not be feeling alright, because you are literally starving yourself to burn the fat you have.

All these excuses I have read on this thread are disgusting. When did America get filled with this attitude? Doctors have been wrong for years, remember when animal fats and sugars were bad? Then they found out that they actually were not so bad, and real sugar was better than high fructose corn syrup.

Anyone who says I don't know what I'm talking about, let me say this, I've been there. I could write a book about my weightloss experience. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

So because your situation differed from mine, mine must be a simple case of waking up one day and deciding to be lazy and make excuses? I decided I was tired of benching 300lbs, running 6 miles at a time and weighing 175lbs (I'm 5'9") and just decided I wanted to be lazy and gain 30lbs?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    There will be times in the beginning that you will feel so hungry you will stare at a box of cookies in your local grocery store for 5 straight minutes, and not even realize it, till a store worker comes up to you and asks if you are feeling all right. And of course you will not be feeling alright, because you are literally starving yourself to burn the fat you have.

Sure, you can starve yourself and be a miserable crazy person. That's one option.

Or you can forget the 'diet' idea altogether and change your lifestyle. Study up and find out what nutrients your body needs the most. Make sure your calories focus on those areas. Follow a scientifically proven exercise plan. Try different things until you find what helps you lose the fastest.

Nobody said it would be easy and nobody here is making excuses. We are discussing real life variables that factor in to weight loss, and the life style changes that have to accompany it.

Your advice is the equivalent of:

Hey, you want to be able to defend yourself? Doesn't matter what gun you buy. HiPoints are cheap, go get one of those. Bullets in, bullets out. You don't need training. Don't read up on firearms or tactics. Just go start shooting at #*$&. Stop making excuses about how maybe your form is wrong or your grip is incorrect. You're just being lazy and not shooting often enough. Carry that &*$& Mexican style, holsters don't matter. They're just another excuse.

Top Bottom