• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Brew some coffee and get comfy. Got a feature length Squid rant for you fine gentlemen.
    :coffee::popcorn:
    I have come to the belief that the 7.65x53 Mauser cartridge is absolutely genius and far ahead of its time. It was the best first generation smokeless cartridge. Yet has become mostly forgotten about and that's an injustice in my eyes. So I will attempt today to shed some light and perhaps restore some old glory to this engineering marvel.
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    To prove my point I have to set a baseline and touch on the competition 7.65x53 had in its time of being a first generation smokeless cartridge.

Don your helmets and strap on your reflective belts, some favorite cartridge feelings are going to get hurt.
    ----------------------------------------

Our baseline is the 308 Winchester. Its development in the 1950s shows an apex of engineering. It takes all the lessons learned from the 1890s through WWII and and deposited them into possibly the most versatile cartridge of all time. Capable of filling many roles and doing a lot of things quite well, and being efficient while doing them too. From battle rifles to belt fed machine guns to sniper rifles to hunting rifles
    -It is not too weak, not too powerful
    -it is not too long, or short
    -it doesn't have a rim
    -it doesn't have excessive taper
    -it has little wasted space
    Now that I've managed to anger the .30-06 AND 6.5 Creedmoor crowds.... I can continue my thesis.

When the French developed the first smokeless cartridge in 1886, the rest of the world quickly began development of their own. Thing is...nobody knew what was going to work or what it should even look like. Nobody could have known how technology would change. They could not have predicted the evolution of bolt action, to autoloaders, to machine guns, aircraft and dogfighting. This led to most of the first generation smokeless cartridges being left behind to pursue more optimal cartridges for the changing tasks. Keep this in mind as we continue.
    —————————————————
    IMG_4224.jpeg
    First up in 1886, the granddaddy of them all, France gave us the 8x50R Lebel. As much as I agree to respect elders...... This round is a complete turd. Its got strange bulges and curves like when we try on old high school clothes. Suboptimal bore diameter. A neck and shoulder arrangement so long it might fit in better with those ring neck ladies in Africa. Huge rim, lots of taper. Thank you for your service but I think even the French are glad its gone.
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    Same said above goes to the 8x50R Mannlicher. You are misshapen and gross and we don't miss you or your vaguely homosexual name.
    IMG_4226.jpeg
    Next up in 1888 the Germans gave us an early form of the 7.92x57 Mauser called the Patrone 88. Gotta give credit, they got a lot right on this one. Its Rimless! No excessive taper! Very little wasted space with that shoulder / neck arrangement. Problems being that the bore diameter would become sub optimal and the cartridge was just too long and overpowered for the battle rifle generation that came after WWII. Yes, guy with G43 rifle, we know it can be done but you cannot argue that a shorter and lesser powered round would have been a better idea for a rifle people carry.
    IMG_4227.jpeg
    In 1889 a bunch of gents in fuzzy hats gave us the 303 British. They got the bore diameter right, stepping down to a proper 30 cal. They even got the power level right due to the Lee Enfields handicapping rear locking lugs…….. but that taper….. and rim causing heartaches for box magazines will keep this decent cartridge from the title of best first generation smokeless cartridge.
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    Apparently keeping trend with shrinking the bore…. Italy gave us the 6.5 Carcano in 1890. Got the length and rim, and shape right but missed the mark with the diameter, and power levels. It’s smaller diameter and energy would prove sub optimal for machine gun use when a guy wants to stuff incindiary goodness into the back of the bullet.
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    1890 also gave us the early 7.5x55 Swiss called the GP90. A nearly perfect creation. You’re probably wondering why this didn’t take the number one spot. As much as I want this round to take the cake…. Technically it misses the mark for being underpowered. It’s initial offering was very weak due to it going inside of an inferior rear locking rifle. Still, the case design is impressive. It wasn’t until 1911 that the cartridge (and rifle) was updated to a round that is awfully similar to 308. But that would make it a second generation so we march forward.
    IMG_4234.jpeg
    1892 gave us the .30-40 Krag, or .30 Army. Swing and a miss, where to begin….. huge rim, tons of wasted space, a neck that is long enough to emulate a beer bottle… and again underpowered due to being mated with a weak action. This round and rifle proved to be so much a turd that the United States literally ripped off the Mauser rifle to catch up. I don’t blame them, because it eventually gave us the .30-06. Which gave birth to our dear .308. I hold no malice and choose to just ignore how badly the ordnance department missed the mark.
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    In 1890 after a vodka fueled spell of inspiration, Russia gave us the 7.62x54R. Let’s be honest here…. This grotesque cartridge should not have been in service as long as it has. It’s persistence is likely due to the Russians remarkable ability to put up with sub optimal crap…. literally forever. They got the diameter right but that’s about it. Slightly awkward and powerful for good auto loading rifles. And again… a rim large enough to enjoy thanksgiving on. Despite my disdain for its shape, it’s track record speaks for itself. And continues to serve honorably as machine gun and sniper rifle cartridge. Bravo, but still not the best first generational smokeless round.

Now that I’ve lost the teenage mosin crowd we can get to the featured cartridge of the thread.
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    We now return to the humble 7.65x53. Paul Mauser blessed the Belgians with this creation seemingly out of thin air in 1889! This guy… despite not knowing the future … got it perfect right out the gate, genius! It is the perfect form factor to fill all the roles we asked of full power rifle cartridges even today 130 years later. It did in 1889 what we had to come back to in the 50s with the 308. Look at how similar it is to the 308.
    -It’s rimless, even uses 308 rim size
    -30 caliber
    -no excessive taper
    -not excessively long
    -little wasted space, size efficient
    -same power levels as 308
    Just look at that handsome neck and shoulder arrangement! It’s so beautiful it makes me want to cry.:tantrum:

In all seriousness I think it’s fall from popularity has nothing to do with its perfection but rather due to much larger political and economic reasons. After WWI, it seemed all eyes were on .30-06, and 8mm Mauser for the future of rifle cartridges. Belgium, Argentina, Chile, everyone else who had the 7.65 rifles just didn’t have the same level of pull and interest that Germany and the United States had.
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    By about now there is some weirdo wearing his Spanish helmet and glow belt with a rolling block 7x57 Mauser wondering why I forgot him. …..It doesn’t count because Paul made 7x57 3 years AFTER the 7.65 and it’s longer, too much neck / taper, and it’s the wrong diameter (despite me liking 7mm more than 7.62). You may leave now sir, good day.

Before you speak up ….guy with 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser…..yes we know how great your rifle is, yes we know you have basically a hipster 6.5 creedmoor…… yes we all want one. Again it misses the mark for being too small bore for the machine gun roles needed later on.

I’m sure there’s others I missed. But that’s about all the time and energy I’ve got to stir the pot today. Looking forward to reading people defending their calibers and protesting MY opinion down below

:buddies:

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Completely skipped over the real best first gen smokeless cartridge.
    Ladies and gentlemen... from 1892... I give you Paul Mauser's 7x57mm.
    IMG_4242.png
    I think YOU skipped over it …;)

As far as cartridge design goes, yes 7x57 misses the mark several places, Neck too long, overall length too long. Could have been more efficient.

Honestly 7mm should have been a better standard diameter than 7.62mm but that ship seems to have sailed. Militaries got stuck on 7.62

Ignoring that, it’s actual performance is pretty darn awesome. In the civilian world the 7x57 enjoyed a very impressive hunting career, especially in Africa usually called the 275 Rigby. It’s military career should have been bigger than it was. Long live 7x57.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    View attachment 292408
    I think YOU skipped over it …;)

As far as cartridge design goes, yes 7x57 misses the mark several places, Neck too long, overall length too long. Could have been more efficient.

Honestly 7mm should have been a better standard diameter than 7.62mm but that ship seems to have sailed. Militaries got stuck on 7.62

Ignoring that, it’s actual performance is pretty darn awesome. In the civilian world the 7x57 enjoyed a very impressive hunting career, especially in Africa usually called the 275 Rigby. It’s military career should have been bigger than it was. Long live 7x57.
    Yeah, I must have missed it, but who said anything about rolling block... lol.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of a Remington 700 Classic.

7x57.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are multiple categories where there are several cartridges that are all pretty close in practical application. Remember the .222 Remington magnum? Sometimes the one with some advantage is abandoned over the one that is most widely recognized and is commonly easy to obtain. Practical working availability may not measure with a micrometer, chronograph or pressure gauge, but it is a big factor in real life.

Remember when Winchester came out with all those WSM (Winchester Short Magnums)? The ads would compare them to a Winchester 300 Magnum. Then they came out with WSSM (super short) and compare them to a Winchester 300 Magnum.
    The WInchester 300 Magnum still stands.

I really liked the 6.5mm Swedish. I built a rifle in 6.5mm American to get the performance with an American short action bolt gun. Then Remington came out with the .260 REM. Big green totally mismanaged the whole promotion and never even shipped the rifles that were prepaid. Hundreds of men ordered the 40XB target rifle in .260 Remington when they advertised them as available, and never received there rifles. Remington factory ammo was very spotty and only available with hunting bullets. Now the 6.5mm Creedmore is available as factory stocked ammo and rifles, and has gained a pretty strong following. I would postulate that if Remington had allowed the .260 REM to prosper, there would have been not enough demand for the 6.5 Creedmore to see the popularity it has today.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Outstanding post, very informative....My dad had a Rolling block in 7x57, and man did I want that, but he traded it away, before I could get to Texas to get it...
    I still find it interesting that if you look at all the major military cartridges from around the turn of the century...excluding France...8mm Mauser, .303 Brit, 30-06, 7.62x54, are all ballistically similar, I guess at the time the requirements were all pretty close for those countries militaries

Top Bottom