• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Perhaps we need a "Gratuitous Oven-Roasting/Baking" thread!

Yes, for the women folk!

Hey! I have a grill! I'm pretty sure I was the one who put these on our Traeger!

rosemary-tri-tip-063-e1405309848623.jpg

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I hard boiled some eggs, rolled out sausage until it was about 1/8" think wrapped it around an egg making sure to cover whole egg and then wrapped some bacon around that. Set in fridge for a couple hours then put on the smoker @ 225° for around 4 hours.

That sounds about delicious!

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I just got a chargriller with a side box, this is only the third week ive had it. So far, ive grilled NY strips and pork spare ribs the first weekend.

This past weekend, I picked up 10lbs of boston butt. Made a great mop for it too. Its probably similar to what everyone uses, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar and cayenne pepper. Smoked it for 12 hours at 200ish with a mix of hickory and apple wood, pouring the mop over it every hour. Man it was DELICIOUS! Sorry I don't have photos.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    S
    20140714_234422.jpg

I finally smoked this pork loin last night.

Took about 4 hours at 225 degrees, apple wood chunks for smoke. I smoked it until it hit 145 internal and pulled it off, wrapped it in foil and in a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.

It turned out quite delicious. I carved it into pork chop size chunks and they were more tender and juicy than any pork chop I've ever grilled. There was also a good sized chunk that had more of a pulled pork consistency, it was near the bone. Also delicious.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Made my first brisket this past Sunday.

Started with a 6 lb flat on Saturday night. Put some olive oil one it, and then rubbed it with a basic dalmation style rub. Wrapped with foil and in the fridge overnight.

The next morning I got up, pulled the brisket to let it warm up, and started the smoker at 7AM. Brisket when into a 225 degree smoker w/ hickory and some mesquite at 8 AM. It was in there for about 5 hours when I noticed I had hit a stall at 174. I had a deadline (ie hungry family expecting something for dinner) so after almost 2 hours at 174, I bumped the temp up to 250, and it came out of the stall and climbed up again. I wanted to try for a crispy bark so I bumped the temp up to 300 for the last 1/2 hour or so.

The results were pretty good. Cut easily, fairly crispy bark, and fairly juicy. My only complaint was the bark was just a bit to salty for me. It was pretty good though. In fact, there was basically none left once dinner was over so I would call it a success.

brisket1.jpg

brisket2.jpg

brisket3.jpg

I've got a few things I want to try for next time.

1) No bumping temp. Its done when its done.
    2) Maybe a brine over night, no rub overnight.
    3) Injection w/ low sodium beef broth.
    4) rub right before being put on.
    5) maybe less salt in rub? or more brown sugar?
    6) start with a full brisket, or at least the point/flat end.

yeah, just a few things ;)

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Made my first brisket this past Sunday.

Started with a 6 lb flat on Saturday night. Put some olive oil one it, and then rubbed it with a basic dalmation style rub. Wrapped with foil and in the fridge overnight.

The next morning I got up, pulled the brisket to let it warm up, and started the smoker at 7AM. Brisket when into a 225 degree smoker w/ hickory and some mesquite at 8 AM. It was in there for about 5 hours when I noticed I had hit a stall at 174. I had a deadline (ie hungry family expecting something for dinner) so after almost 2 hours at 174, I bumped the temp up to 250, and it came out of the stall and climbed up again. I wanted to try for a crispy bark so I bumped the temp up to 300 for the last 1/2 hour or so.

The results were pretty good. Cut easily, fairly crispy bark, and fairly juicy. My only complaint was the bark was just a bit to salty for me. It was pretty good though. In fact, there was basically none left once dinner was over so I would call it a success.

brisket1.jpg

brisket2.jpg

brisket3.jpg

I've got a few things I want to try for next time.

1) No bumping temp. Its done when its done.
    2) Maybe a brine over night, no rub overnight.
    3) Injection w/ low sodium beef broth.
    4) rub right before being put on.
    5) maybe less salt in rub? or more brown sugar?
    6) start with a full brisket, or at least the point/flat end.

yeah, just a few things ;)
    Not a bad first try. I've probably done over 100 packers and have it down pretty well. My rub is the Aaron Franklin extremely simple 50/50 (by weight) salt and pepper although his pepper is a special grind and blend, regular restaurant style black pepper works pretty good. I've tried several different rubs and such and always go back to 50/50 salt and pepper and throw a dash of garlic powder. Remember to watch the sweet with brisket or beef in general, too much and it's meh IMO. I've injected and personally I don't think it has enhanced flavor or juiciness at all. A full packer is easier to cook than just a flat and you will get to make burnt ends with the point ;) I very rarely put on the rub and let it sit overnight, I simply don't have the room to let a 12+ lb packer sit in the fridge overnight. Also give pecan wood a try, not sure what you used but it's my go to for brisket.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Not a bad first try. I've probably done over 100 packers and have it down pretty well. My rub is the Aaron Franklin extremely simple 50/50 (by weight) salt and pepper although his pepper is a special grind and blend, regular restaurant style black pepper works pretty good. I've tried several different rubs and such and always go back to 50/50 salt and pepper and throw a dash of garlic powder. Remember to watch the sweet with brisket or beef in general, too much and it's meh IMO. I've injected and personally I don't think it has enhanced flavor or juiciness at all. A full packer is easier to cook than just a flat and you will get to make burnt ends with the point ;) I very rarely put on the rub and let it sit overnight, I simply don't have the room to let a 12+ lb packer sit in the fridge overnight. Also give pecan wood a try, not sure what you used but it's my go to for brisket.

awesome, great info, Thanks!! Do you ever brine your brisket?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    awesome, great info, Thanks!! Do you ever brine your brisket?
    No, never have. Never have actually brined any beef although I have soaked a few corned beef flats in fresh water to make pastrami :): Using an egg I have never noticed anything I have brined to be any juicier or more flavorful. I smoke turkey breasts (on the rib cage) all the time and spatchcock chickens and they all come out just as good without brining.

Top Bottom