• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    MAN I forgot how much 2 a.m. SUX! But that's where the good pig starts!! Just firing up the smoker in preparation for 17 pounds of pork butt. We decided to give moodys a try so we bought the pig there, it's a little pricey but it's local sourced, antibiotics and hormone free. Good looking meat too, sorry no pics at this time. for some reason I'm not receiving the pics I emailed myself several hours ago.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Is that a good source for meat? We've been wanting to check it out.

Well we finally finished up and just tried our handiwork, at this time we are going to bypass Moodys for the butt because we are still in the learning phase of smoking meat. Due to several issues we were happy with one and disappointed with the other one. At twice the price of Moodys vs Kroger we'll continue getting it at Kroger, we've had good luck with theirs in both flavor and prep. Of course now we have to eat our mistakes, so pass the Stink Eye!

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I have 1-1/2 hogs at Archers being processed. Whole live weight was 280 and the half is coming out of 289#. Also picking up a 1/4 of beef as halves not available until fall. It's gonna be a good time grilling/smoking it.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Agreed. They did have some duck breast in there which was good but it's tough to compare that to other places since you don't typically find it at the grocery.
    ha yeah the duck is a bit of a one off. Really on the west side you can't go wrong with Valu Mart or Market down in Mooresville.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    ha yeah the duck is a bit of a one off. Really on the west side you can't go wrong with Valu Mart or Market down in Mooresville.

We've been pretty happy with Valu Market meat, their bacon is excellent! I was just out to clean up the smoker from our effort the other day and I've never had as much fat drippings render off of any other meat, I was really shocked by that because the meat appeared to be fairly lean, almost to the point of being too lean. We did trim off 2 lbs of fat from each butt at $4.99/lb so if we buy there again we are going to request it be trimmed prior to purchasing.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Late-night cookin'... 2:00am

Eye-of-round roast smoking hot and fast(ish) on the kettle.

409842393.jpg

409842731.jpg

409842734.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Probably nothing earth shattering to report but I thought I'd share. Grilled some pork loin chops up for dinner last night and the wife had purchased a roast to drop in the slow cooker today. Once the chops were finished I heated the BGE up to around 600* and seared the roast for about two minutes per side, just enough to crust them up a bit. Into the slow cooker they went this morning and when I walked in the door from work this afternoon I was greeted with the most heavenly of smells I've encountered recently. Try it, you won't regret it.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    20140801_203408_HDR-1_zpsskerhwi0.jpg

Had some friends over for dinner last night. Converted my weber smokey mountain to a charcoal grill and they turned out fantastic.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    2014-08-02 23.08.54.jpg Smoked these two pork shoulders this past weekend, 15lbs! Injected every hour with a solution of my own creation! Rubbed with kosher salt and cayenne peppper! Smoked for 12 hours, pulled at 185, rested for an hour before pulling.

Last edited:

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Does any here have any preference to certain types of charcoal? I'm finding that i really like a 70/30 mixture of kingsford competition/lump for the first basket load and straight lump charcoal for the last basket.

Top Bottom