Grandpa wants a new revolver .38/357..Best option?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I have both. I like the 642 better. Replaced the Trigger spring with a Wilson Combat S&W J frame Custom Tune Spring Kit. $8.95. Easy to replace the spring. Much improved trigger. Full disclosure: I'm a S&W revolver junkie.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I have both. I like the 642 better. Replaced the Trigger spring with a Wilson Combat S&W J frame Custom Tune Spring Kit. $8.95. Easy to replace the spring. Much improved trigger. Full disclosure: I'm a S&W revolver junkie.
    I bought a 642 but hesitate to recommend it due to the trigger pull. I 'm also very curious on the subject and am following closely. Perhaps I should take a look at the Wilson spring kit. At that price, what's to lose?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Or just buy a 340. The 340 is basically the 360 without the hammer. I am a big fan of my 360J in .38+P...it's my working-out and dress-clothes gun. It's lightweight, accurate, and disappears in a pocket. Personally, I like the exposed hammer, but if the OP is looking for hammerless, the 340 is the way to go.
    Great point...I didn't even think of the Smith & Wesson 340!
    The 340 really is just about the 'perfect' pocket carry .38 revolver!
    Same revolver...same light carry weight...snag-free enclosed hammer!
    Has the same frame and pinned-in front sight...which can be replaced!
    What's not to like about it and it meets the OP's stated requirement!

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The S&W 360, 340 and Kimber are somewhat higher than the $500 Gramps wants to spend.

I've got a .38 LCR and S&W 642 I would be willing to let Gramps shoot if you are anywhere near Liberty, IN., providing you can find some ammo.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    IMHO, the best thing for Grandpa to do is go to a range and rent both pistols. Then Play with them UNLOADED and see which one fits hand hand better. Then see how each one fits his pocket, points for him, and so on. Then go burn a few rounds thru each one. He is going to carry it 100% of the time and fire it maybe 5%. Fitting his hand is far more important than a "gritty " trigger pull. I would doubt that he will notice much of a difference between the 2 pistols. In the end though, both the 6452 and LCR are great pistols and will serve him well.

Top Bottom