• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vermilionbird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    Oct 17, 2020
    South Bend
    I've had a big shift toward revolvers in the last few months and decided to finally make the plunge to get something I've been eyeing for a long, long time - a S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP. I was able to get one off Gunbroker last week - one that the original owner bought, cosmolined, and never fired. It's sat in its original box for likely twenty years now and I'm excited to finally let it sing in all its big bore, no lock goodness. That cylinder will never be this clean again! I've got a summer comfort on the way from Barranti Leather and I'll be excited to put it through its paces. Hope y'all enjoy the pics!

W3hstiE.jpg

8HBu8cd.jpg

9E3mrRY.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    VERY, VERY NICE! I was after a 625 mountain gun in .45 Colt for a long time, but couldn't find one that I could stomach the price of. I finally ended up with a 2 3/4" Model 69 in .44 Mag, and have been very happy with it...but still drool over the .45 mountain guns every time I see one. I have a thing for the .45.

I do a lot of backpacking, and have this idea that a lightweight scandium-framed 5-shot .45 Colt with a steel cylinder (don't want the hassle of caring for titanium) cut for moon clips (so you could shoot .45 ACP out of it, too) and a 3" barrel would be the ultimate trail gun. Lightweight, compact, manageable recoil while still delivering a solid punch with deep penetration, and the ability to double as a CCW piece with fast .45 ACP moon-clip reloads when I'm travelling to and from the trail (I only want to take one gun, as I don't like the idea of leaving a gun locked in my unattended car at a remote trailhead for days).

Unfortunately, nobody makes that, so a 625 in .45 Colt is about as close as I can hope to get. Maybe someday I'll come across one for a price that I can't refuse, but until then I still enjoy viewing those belonging to others. Congrats on a great score, I hope you get years of solid use out of it!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Very nice score! I too have wanted a 45 mountain gun for a long time. I wanted a colt vs an acp version. I found a good deal (here) on a 625-8 in .45 acp. It’s a heavy barreled 4” gun with a great action and well, the dreaded lock. It shot very well but wasn’t quite what I wanted. I wasn’t really looking for a mountain gun anymore, but one popped up and I held out for awhile but finally succumbed to its siren call, so now I have a 45 colt mountain gun. Got to shoot it this last weekend and it shot very well! Need to work on the grips some to make it more comfortable but I am looking forward to shooting it a good bit! I am thinking of sending it out to TK Cutsom and having them cut it for moon clips so I can shoot acp in it as well as .45 colt.

By the way, if you have any interest in a .45 colt ballistic twin load for your acp gun, I have a good on e that came from John Taffin! 347F0B7B-4F2E-4509-A517-8254B4354615.jpeg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    When I thought I’d never find a mountain gun I could afford/justify I built myself an old school mountain gun! Found a 6-1/2” second model hand ejector that had been reblued and the chambers cut for .45 colt (originally a .455 Webley). I cut it down to 4” and remounted teh front sight. Put a Tyler t grip on it and a set of 50’s era Magna diamond stocks on it. It shoots pretty well, but still wasn’t quite what I wanted! 42904C72-4050-424A-BF02-C83A8833A436.jpeg

Top Bottom