• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    After multiple thefts at our remote cabin, I am wanting to install a gps tracker on my new CFMOTO side by side. I am looking for recommendations for a tracker. Preferably it would be one that attaches to the 12 volt vehicle electrical system, have a reasonable monthly subscription rate (about $10 per month or lower), work with AT&T, has frequent updates and history. The option of setting boundary alerts would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Thanks.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Like my motorcycles I would buy one that has its own battery that gets recharged when the vehicle is started. Small to easy to hide and
    still works when the battery gets unhooked.
    One can find a hot feed many places.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    A ipad with Cellular is $10 on my Verizon plan ... and I can use Apples Find My Device to locate it

Mounting it like a GPS would make it seem more like a Tool and not a Tracker

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I know someone who supplied 12v "bait" batteries, an empty automotive 12v case with a smaller battery inside + a gps tracker. Fully functional & would start vehicle, it worked like a charm on those who were stealing batteries.

Battery disappeared, they contacted the police with gps info, bad guy went to jail.

Worked so well that batteries stopped disappearing after a while from what I heard.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So you think he should spend $500 on an ipad and hide it in his side by side to use as a tracking device in case the vehicle gets stolen?
    It sure how they work but an apple tracker might be an option. Some folks I know that rent RV’s use them. They are required by the insurance company. Get the features of find my phone without the expensive phone or pad…

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It sure how they work but an apple tracker might be an option. Some folks I know that rent RV’s use them. They are required by the insurance company. Get the features of find my phone without the expensive phone or pad…
    Im pretty sure that depends on nearby iDevices to see and phone home. Not great if whoever steals it parks it in the woods without randos walking/driving by. Its great for stuff that gets lost/stolen in the city where lots of nearby iDevices can see it. But if nobody else gets around the tracker, it wont get found. (e.g. they take it to their farm in the boonies and just drive it around there)
    But it would be ironic if the thief's iphone tattled on him. LOL

EDIT: The takeaway is that the tracker should be self contained to be 100% reliable. It will cost more but it shouldnt rely on 3rd party devices to be found. It will cost more, (subscription or cell plan) but worth it.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Im pretty sure that depends on nearby iDevices to see and phone home. Not great if whoever steals it parks it in the woods without randos walking/driving by. Its great for stuff that gets lost/stolen in the city where lots of nearby iDevices can see it. But if nobody else gets around the tracker, it wont get found. (e.g. they take it to their farm in the boonies and just drive it around there)
    But it would be ironic if the thief's iphone tattled on him. LOL
    And an iPhone will tattle on the tracker also. I used a trailer and received a notification I was being tracked by an unknown device. That is how I found out they track that way.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Thanks for your reply's. I researched the Apple air pods ( I think that's what they are called). The negatives, requires a nearby bluetooth connection, alerts the nearby bluetooth user they are being tracked, outweigh the positives. I don't want to let the thieves know they are being tracked, I want to apprehend and prosecute! The remote location would also create a situation that would make a nearby connection hit or miss. I have seen some that have alerts if a preset boundary is crossed, I think these might be the best for our needs. Most have higher upfront costs and monthly subscription rates. The monthly subscription varies from $10 to $25 per month depending on what options you choose. There are dozens of trackers on Amazon among other venders. I am still researching. Thanks

Top Bottom