• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The same argument some ffl's use against private gun transactions.
    I'm not agreeing, just stating the underlying "facts" about this particular type of business. Private FFLs not wanting competition is a whole world different than not giving "Uncle Sugar" his dues. ATFe still allows private FFLs, the Health Department doesn't allow private kitchens to distribute food if they know about it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Exactly. How many places handle, process, package, etc food and drugs. How many FDA inspectors are there? It's numerically impossible to inspect everything.

I have my own anectodatal evidence as well. I have engineering friends that work at Lilly and Pfizer. They write their own reports that they submit to the FDA. There is an FDA rep on site, but he doesn't actually do anything. They could completely fabricate their reports and as long as it told a good story, the FDA would buy off on it. They don't of course, I'm just saying they could.

I worked in a restaurant for 5 years as a short order cook. Guess how many times we had any kind of FDA inspection?

Same with the FAA. The FAA rep doesn't actually inspect anything. The only thing he does is make sure all the different documents match and tell the same story. He doesn't know if what he's reading is technically correct or not. I could say that it's acceptable to have a 5 inch hole in a part, and as long as my report doesn't say the hole is bigger than 5 inches, he gives it the old government stamp of approval. Forget that the part won't work at all with a giant hole in it.

lolz... I just remembered. We were doing a blade release test for an engine. The FAA rep is standing there to observe the test. This thing completely failed in a spectacular fashion, I mean fire, parts flying everywhere, just complete carnage. She looks over and says, "So, did it pass?" lolz... Yeah, sure sweety, it's totally good to go!

In my experience, government inspectors are a gigantic waste of time and resources.

What were they submitting? As someone who has taken drugs/products to market at Lilly, Monsanto, Medivative, - qualified equipment in Sweden, Italy, and Germany, your claim that the FDA will "buy of on it" is laugh out loud funny. Also, at least in manufacturing, there isn't an FDA official on site. There could be some onsite at corporate center, but they wouldn't be involved with production. When they do come their access is limited strictly to the scope of the project and those able to interact with an FDA officials is very, very limited. A short on site visual followed by a day in a conference room is standard procedure.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I've worked at Lilly and Mr88GT works in defense-related. You are absolutely correct.

What did you do there? Did you interact with the FDA? Can you give some examples where the FDA would "buy of on" anything you gave them?

These are rather serious claims of malfeasance you are leveling.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Mr. ATOMonkey. Your FAA may have been a farce but when I was flying for a living I had to go to the South Bend FSDO every 6 months for an ATP checkride. Those inspectors were very thorough and wanted a good check ride every time. Even after years of rides I always had to do a complete oral exam and airwork. Only one time did I have an inspector that let the ride go pretty easy. At engine start he said "Go do the air work" and then when we were airborne he promptly went to sleep for the whole ride.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I can tell you with complete certainty that this is false. I used to work in a meat processing room... We had an FDA employee that watched, and regularly inspected our equipment and source materials (aka, the unprocessed meat). He had his own little office with a big window into the room. I don't know about any other meat rooms, but mine was inspected daily.

FDA or USDA? I used to work at a meat processing plant, we had no FDA employees there, we did have USDA inspectors there while the product was being processed though. They did do inspections, but from my understanding not very thorough ones unless their was a problem.

ETA They also did medical use products, pancreases/thyroid/etc for insulin and such. No FDA inspectors on site for that either.

USDA inspectors are not required, they are optional. A company can have them or not, most large and medium sized companies do though. They are also required to pay for them to be there. It is mainly to get the USDA inspected stamp of "approval". I do know of a small company or two that aren't USDA approved that I visit. They have good meat.

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I can tell you with complete certainty that this is false. I used to work in a meat processing room... We had an FDA employee that watched, and regularly inspected our equipment and source materials (aka, the unprocessed meat). He had his own little office with a big window into the room. I don't know about any other meat rooms, but mine was inspected daily.

FDA, not USDA?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am so thankful that big Gubmint has saved us from the scourge of rampant lemonade stands and cake and cupcake sales. Maybe I could get a job as a Federal cupcake inspector. Sounds like it would be right in my wheelhouse.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    FDA or USDA? I used to work at a meat processing plant, we had no FDA employees there, we did have USDA inspectors there while the product was being processed though. They did do inspections, but from my understanding not very thorough ones unless their was a problem.

ETA They also did medical use products, pancreases/thyroid/etc for insulin and such. No FDA inspectors on site for that either.

USDA inspectors are not required, they are optional. A company can have them or not, most large and medium sized companies do though. They are also required to pay for them to be there. It is mainly to get the USDA inspected stamp of "approval". I do know of a small company or two that aren't USDA approved that I visit. They have good meat.
    USDA is required if you ship out of state! If you are totally in state, then it is optional in most cases.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Come on guys we all know this happened cause she was not paying her taxes. You can do what ever you want in this country as long as uncle Sam gets his cut.
    I wonder how long till they arrest this little Capone for tax evasion?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If Illinois can win, anywhere can win.

There is no reason to hit people with batons. There is reason to associate and petition our government for redress of grievances (and there are a load of grievances).

Top Bottom