Gov. Daniels: All the horrific crimes of the last century were committed by atheists

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Reba Boyd Wooden said:
    Newly elected Austrailian prime minister Julia Gillard, Australia's first female prime minister, is not a religious person. President Barack Obama is the first U.S. president to acknowledge nonreligious Americans in his Inaugural Address. However, Gov. Mitch Daniels, who is being considered by some as a candidate for president in 2012, in an interview with WANE.com in December, said, "And atheism leads to brutality. All the horrific crimes of the last century were committed by atheists -- Stalin and Hitler and Mao and so forth -- because it flows very naturally from an idea that there is no judgment and there is nothing other than the brief time we spend on this Earth."
    This statement categorizes the 16 percent of Hoosiers who are not religious as atheists and makes false statements about them. Had he made a statement of this type about Muslims, Jews, gays or other minority groups, they would be calling for his resignation.

Comments about 'atheists' put off nonreligious voters | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

I had a very mixed ticket in 2008. I voted for one Republican: Mitch Daniels. No more.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Hitler in Mein Kampf said:
    The folkish-minded man, in particular, has the sacred duty, each in his own denomination, of making people stop just talking superficially of God's will, and actually fulfill God's will, and not let God's word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, the divine will.

Hitler was a Catholic, as were most of the 20th century's Fascists. Stalin and Mao were Communists. What does that have to do with Atheist Hoosiers?

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I think he pushed the envelope by saying "all the horrific crimes," as that just blankets much to many incidents.

I bet they will label this as him "mispeaking." Since politicians don't lie anymore in this new age of government.

I actually like Mitch for more reasons than I hate him, so I can't say this one thing will push me to vote elsewhere just yet. He has done more good in my opinion thus far. (and I hated him originally being elected too.)

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    I think he pushed the envelope by saying "all the horrific crimes," as that just blankets much to many incidents.

I bet they will label this as him "mispeaking." Since politicians don't lie anymore in this new age of government.

I actually like Mitch for more reasons than I hate him, so I can't say this one thing will push me to vote elsewhere just yet. He has done more good in my opinion thus far. (and I hated him originally being elected too.)

I suppose we'll see what the "clarification" later on looks like.

I fail to see the link between the crimes and the atheism as much as I do between the Holocaust and Christianity.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Hitler was a Catholic, as were most of the 20th century's Fascists. Stalin and Mao were Communists. What does that have to do with Atheist Hoosiers?

Hitler was brought up Catholic, but abandoned the teachings for atheism long before he ever became a World known name. Communists after Marx were certainly atheist. They made laws just for the state of atheism in Communist countries in the 40's.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The man will NEVER get my vote for the simple fact of him messing with the time. This is just yet another reason to dislike him as far as I am concerned.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    The man will NEVER get my vote for the simple fact of him messing with the time. This is just yet another reason to dislike him as far as I am concerned.

I hear you on the time issue. I hate this so much. But to me, economics and other fiscal policy makes me more happy about his term that upset. He has brought us out of a pretty large deficit. Which will help out in later years.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

What someone is born and what someone lives are two different things. Did Hitler practice the faith that he was born into or is he simply described as Catholic because when he was born his parents practiced that faith and he fell away from it but is still labeled as a member despite no actual practice or ties to the faith?

Ditto the Italian Fascists?

Henry VIII was born Catholic but founded the Church of England (Anglican Church) so would it be fair to describe him as Catholic? How about Martin Luther?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Soooo... you're against the property tax caps and balanced budget spending too??

I'm just tying to get a feel for your position on the man.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN

I used to work first shift. Had to wake up early and go to bed early. During the summer, I hated the fact that it was still light out at 10PM. Now that I'm not working...it's awesome!:rockwoot:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Soooo... you're against the property tax caps and balanced budget spending too??

I'm just tying to get a feel for your position on the man.

Oh yeah, my property taxes went up 500% this year. That's done me a lot of good :rolleyes: Thank you Indiana government of all three branches. Oh, wait, one small parcel actually went down, from about $20/year to $18 a year. That helped out the extra $1200 I have to come up with this year.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Hitler was not a Catholic. He hated God. He used religion when it served his purpose.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Hitler was brought up Catholic, but abandoned the teachings for atheism long before he ever became a World known name. Communists after Marx were certainly atheist. They made laws just for the state of atheism in Communist countries in the 40's.

Got a citation? All I've managed to pull up is that he was Catholic. He accused the Jews of Deicide. He governed using explicitly religious and Christian rhetoric. You can't think no evil has been done in the name of Christianity, right?

Thomas Jefferson said:
    Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live.

Jefferson even wrote his own Bible, deleting all the bits that implied Jesus was divine. He was left with a short book which he found to be good moral teachings.

Thomas Paine said:
    As to the book called the bible, it is blasphemy to call it the Word of God. It is a book of lies and contradictions and a history of bad times and bad men.

The founders were quite mixed on matters of religion, varying from atheism to deism to protestantism.

What someone is born and what someone lives are two different things. Did Hitler practice the faith that he was born into or is he simply described as Catholic because when he was born his parents practiced that faith and he fell away from it but is still labeled as a member despite no actual practice or ties to the faith?

Ditto the Italian Fascists?

Henry VIII was born Catholic but founded the Church of England (Anglican Church) so would it be fair to describe him as Catholic? How about Martin Luther?

I sincerely hope that you and the various Fascist leaders have different theology. But theirs is Christian theology as much as yours is. Much evil has been done in the name of God.

There's no sense in grouping all Christians together and tarring them with the same brush. The same goes for atheists is all I'm saying.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Hitler was not a Catholic. He hated God. He used religion when it served his purpose.

Do you have a source? Did he ever repudiate God? Goebells did, certainly, but Hitler?

It would be hard for me to imagine someone both believing in God, at least in the way Christians do, and hating him. This seems contradictory to me. How could one hate an omnibenevolent being?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

This is a well known fact. Atheists use the lie that Hitler was Catholic to spread their hatred of Christianity. Being atheists, lying may not even be immoral to them, since they create their own morals.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    This is a well known fact. Atheists use the lie that Hitler was Catholic to spread their hatred of Christianity. Being atheists, lying may not even be immoral to them, since they create their own morals.

It's not known to me. Do you have a citation?

Thomas Paine said:
    Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.

EDIT: I actually think Paine has got it backwards.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Oh yeah, my property taxes went up 500% this year. That's done me a lot of good :rolleyes: Thank you Indiana government of all three branches. Oh, wait, one small parcel actually went down, from about $20/year to $18 a year. That helped out the extra $1200 I have to come up with this year.

Is your assessment fair market value?

There is also a limit on how much your taxes can increase each year. I'm trying to find it online, but having a little trouble finding it.

Either way, if you think your property tax is incorrect, you should appeal it.

EDIT:
    Limits property tax bill increases to no more than 2 percent annually for seniors who make less than $30,000 annually (single) or less than $40,000 (joint), if the assessed value of their homes is $160,000 or less.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm a fan of Mitch Daniels, at least as far as politicians go...:rolleyes: I'm glad the property tax caps went through, because although the taxes on my rental props pretty much doubled last year, that is much preferable to the local taxing unit being able to double them EVERY year, which is where we were headed. His statement on atheism was unhelpful, but I suspect there are a number of people who, if they believed there were no possible consequences to their actions, would lie, cheat or kill without restraint, if it would profit them. I suppose if you are religious you fear God more than the civil authorities because your punishment is eternal and if you are atheist you fear the civil authorities more than God because your lifespan is limited. Probably another thread starter here somewhere.

Top Bottom