Got frustrated. Didn't pay attention. Now I need your help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    A while back I was trying to sight in a cheap scope on a marlin 795. After many wasted bullets I decided to check with laser bore sight. Also cheap and in outdoors lighting essentially worthless. Did this a few times and forgot to remove it. Took to shots and know I essentially have a squib fire like situation with plastic crap stuck in front of the rounds. To try and pound it out it looks like I need to remove the barrel from the receiver which I have no idea how to do. Does anyone have ideas that I can do myself.? And if I absolutely need a gunsmith what will it cost me? The barrel appears to be unaffected when looking at it externally, but I'm curious to know if I am just SOL on the barrel even if I can remove the obstruction. If that is the case, I can't seem to find anything on just replacing the barrel, so any ideas there are also welcome.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It looks like the 795 barrels are just pinned in place. If you can get the barrel off you can probably get out the obstruction with a brass or aluminum rod and a rubber mallet.

EDIT: apparently it's very difficult to remove or install a barrel without damaging the receiver.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The most important thing is you are ok and did not end up with a face full of receiver! Have you tried heat? If it is plastic it might melt enough to loosen. Push the stuck piece back towards the way it came in. In other word drive it from the muzzle end. Try a small brass or aluminum rod slightly smaller then the bore. Best of luck. Be safe!

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    How close is it to the end of the barrel? Might be better to drive it back down the barrel, put some kroil around it first, once it starts moving it should go okay, let me know if you want any help

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Yes. Two shots. Pretty ridiculous. By far one of the dumbest things I have ever done. As for 30calmachinegunner's offer, I would love to but my wife and I are in Cincinnati until spring of next year for her to finish grad school and I'm not sure when we will visit next. I have thought about keeping it around for parts as I have another 795. I started doing appleseed with one that I put tech sights on and thought it would be fun to have a scoped one. Picked it up cheap on here a couple of years ago. Maybe a$100, so not a huge lose to keep it for parts, but it would be great to have it function. Everything is logged at the front of the barrel and I've read it is very hard to push back down the barrel. With where it is I know if the barrel was off the receive a brass rod and a small mallet would do the trick.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Also, to cut and recrown it seems like with the rifling it would be important where exactly the cut is relative to the length of the barrel. If I took this route would I have any concern for the exact length?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Also, to cut and recrown it seems like with the rifling it would be important where exactly the cut is relative to the length of the barrel. If I took this route would I have any concern for the exact length?

Orientation of rifling to the muzzle doesn't matter. As long as you have a good crown or at least an even surface, the bullet doesn't give a hoot if it's right-side-up, upside-down, on-the-side, etc.

Your only concern in barrel length is either to:
    1) Maintain 16" of barrel length or greater, or
    2) Maintain 16" of barrel length or greater with a permanently attached muzzle device

Last edited:
    Top Bottom