So I'm a moron and now there are things stuck in my M44 barrel ....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Soooooooo .........let the flaming begin ...

I recently purchased a Mosin M44 , outside is nice numbers matching serial starts with serial " *TXXX" .....i thought the funny 6 pointed star and T was different and I am always good for "different" . Anyway , externals looked great but the rifling looked like a sewer pipe. But I am a sucker for mosins.

I took her home and began with bore cleaner over and over and over some more ...... still awful,

(mistake #1) I started putting full size swatches down the barrel trying to speed up the process. After a few one gets lodged in the barrel approx 8" from the muzzle tip. I broke both of my cleaning rods trying to get it out and looked for something to force it out

(mistake #2). I found a round metal rod (12", diameter about 1/2 of the bore size) and proceeded to pound it in muzzle end, it broke off about 1" inside the muzzle.

(mistake #3) I was concerned about damaging threads and put a carbon fiber arrow shaft in the breech end and plunged it in. I put a 3' steel rod inside the arrow shaft and began pounding away trying to free the whole mess....... well that didn't happen

now i have a M44 with a arrow shaft/3ft steel rod sticking out the breech and a swatch and broken rod in the muzzle end. I am unable to remove any of it at this time , i figure tomorrow i will put some vise-grips on the 3ft rod and use a mallet to hammer the opposite direction (away from the rifle). I imagine the arrow shaft is very stuck now as well along with the other rod and swatch.

The reason I'm posting this is for all of you new and old to take a step back and don't make the bad worse (and more worse). I take some satisfaction is that my mistake is only a $150 mistake , it could have been more. I understand what i SHOULD HAVE DONE, such as an air compressor etc. I guess I could have claimed that a family member did this or something else but I am going to learn from my mistake as I hope others do as well.

sooooo, Im thinking of lightly heating the barrel till the patch turns to cinders ? does that even make sense ? any suggestions ?

and yes I know , I'm a moron

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    These should not be used for cleaning barrels. I think I found your problem.

(mistake #1) I started putting full size swatches down the barrel trying to speed up the process. After a few one gets lodged in the barrel approx 8" from the muzzle tip. I broke both of my cleaning rods trying to get it out and looked for something to force it out

Swatch_watches.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Vise grips to pull the arrow shaft. Clamp the arrow shaft in a vise and pull the barrel.

If you can get to the stuck patch, try using a muzzle-loader patch puller "worm". This should loosen things up a bit, instead of compacting it further.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Vise grips to pull the arrow shaft. Clamp the arrow shaft in a vise and pull the barrel.

If you can get to the stuck patch, try using a muzzle-loader patch puller "worm". This should loosen things up a bit, instead of compacting it further.

had to look up a "worm" , that would have been nice to have originally , i will get one now just to have one , appreciate the help

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am assuming you were pushing the patch with a jag, and the jag is still in there. Muratic acid (like you put in a swimming pool) should eat at the patch enough to loosen the tension holding the jag. Muratic acid will eat aluminum really fast, so that should help loosed the cobble there. If you get some movement there, you may be able to get the other junk loose. As soon as you get stuff loose, flush a lot of hot water through the barrel and get some oil in there, or rust will be in your barrel really fast. Good Luck

PS, I would not be afraid to use a piece of 1/4 mild steel rod like you get at the hardware store to ram in the opposite direction that you jammed the patch in. The barrel steel will be harder than the cheap cold rolled in the 1/4" inch rod.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    I am assuming you were pushing the patch with a jag, and the jag is still in there. Muratic acid (like you put in a swimming pool) should eat at the patch enough to loosen the tension holding the jag. Muratic acid will eat aluminum really fast, so that should help loosed the cobble there. If you get some movement there, you may be able to get the other junk loose. As soon as you get stuff loose, flush a lot of hot water through the barrel and get some oil in there, or rust will be in your barrel really fast. Good Luck

PS, I would not be afraid to use a piece of 1/4 mild steel rod like you get at the hardware store to ram in the opposite direction that you jammed the patch in. The barrel steel will be harder than the cheap cold rolled in the 1/4" inch rod.

appreciate the note about the muratic acid , might give that a try

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    This is so totally something I would do. I know it's the wrong thing to do, but have you tried hitting something with a medium sized sledge hammer? I always end up hitting things with medium sized sledge hammers (unless I skip that step straight to the biggest hammer I can find).

Top Bottom