• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    That's a good topic, not something I'd normally respond to about myself, but I feel like it today. I suppose I'm in the self-actualization phase of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

I like to help out when I can, many need that and most don't want advice. My Mother was in the hospital with Leukemia 10 years ago, and I told her I'd volunteer when she'd asked about what I'd like to do later in life.

We've spent a lot of time the last few months helping out my in-laws, when they asked and their life has turned around dramatically for the better.

I helped my daughter acquire a new vehicle recently after she had a minor fender bender in a 10 yr old paid for car she intended to drive much longer. Quite the feat with the current vehicle market supply chain issue.

I'm always happy and proud to see or hear about good deeds. Probably more common than people think, but not often told as the last post stated. Its refreshing in an age of click bait dark energy news cycles and current governmental overreach.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    That's a good topic, not something I'd normally respond to about myself, but I feel like it today. I suppose I'm in the self-actualization phase of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

I like to help out when I can, many need that and most don't want advice. My Mother was in the hospital with Leukemia 10 years ago, and I told her I'd volunteer when she'd asked about what I'd like to do later in life.

We've spent a lot of time the last few months helping out my in-laws, when they asked and their life has turned around dramatically for the better.

I helped my daughter acquire a new vehicle recently after she had a minor fender bender in a 10 yr old paid for car she intended to drive much longer. Quite the feat with the current vehicle market supply chain issue.

I'm always happy and proud to see or hear about good deeds. Probably more common than people think, but not often told as the last post stated. Its refreshing in an age of click bait dark energy news cycles and current governmental overreach.
    Glad you shared, I am in a similar situation with helping family on both sides of the marriage. I know I can use some positive instead of the constant negativity.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    My neighbor and I were talking about stuff like this yesterday.
    THIS is the country we know.
    But this isn't what's "news".
    Yes and we see it everyday. Something as small as holding a door for handicapped person to giving up a prime parking shot to an elderly driver. I was raised to think that way and so were my boys.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So the wifey and me were high school sweethearts. Our 30 year class reunion is coming up next month and there's a FaceBook group set up for it. Yesterday morning, someone shared a post from another local FaceBook group. This kid was cleaning out an old truck he bought and found a class of '91 ring from our high school with the wife's first name on it. It just so happens I lost her class ring about 30 years ago. For you youngsters, we all used to have these things called class rings. When you were "goin steady" with a girl, you'd swap class rings. There were only 3 girls that shared her first name in our class, so odds are pretty good it was hers.

I sent the kid a message and told him that I was pretty sure it was hers, but I couldn't even begin to remember what it looked like. But what I do remember is every vehicle I've ever owned in amazing detail.

I thought back to around the time I lost it and asked if the truck was a white, '89 S-10 Baja edition. Nope.

Ok, was it a red/white 1972 Chevy Custom Camper? Nope.

Damn. Those were the two trucks I had back then. He then, said it's a Ford. Heresy! I have NEVER owned a Ford. That'd be like owning a red tractor. I bristled at the mere accusation.

Then it hit me, is the Ford in question red? Yep.

Is it an '86 F-250 with a 302, 4 speed manual, and the most ridiculously small(13 gallon :rolleyes: ) gas tank ever put in a truck? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

It was the shop truck from the place I served my tool maker's apprenticeship. Before you got to touch a machine, you swept floors and drove truck. I was in and out of that truck a dozen times a day for the first six months I worked there.

I must have put the ring in my pocket when I was handling something that would damage it and had it fall out and get wedged between the seat back and seat bottom. And there it sat for 30 years until this kid folded the seatback forward and out it fell.

So last night the wife and me met the kid and got her ring back. He was a super nice. We offered him cash, beer, to take him out to dinner at the place of his choosing. He said, no thanks. I don't want anything. He was just happy for it to be back with its owner.

The only thing he did accept was my help in his effort to get the truck titled. His old boss bought the truck in 2013 from my old boss, the truck's original owner. His old boss lost the title before ever taking it to the BMV and just used the truck on his property. So in the eyes of the BMV, my old boss could file for a lost title and sign it over to the kid so he can get the old girl back on the road.

Not sure why an '86 Ford is worth the effort, but it's the least I can do.:D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So the wifey and me were high school sweethearts. Our 30 year class reunion is coming up next month and there's a FaceBook group set up for it. Yesterday morning, someone shared a post from another local FaceBook group. This kid was cleaning out an old truck he bought and found a class of '91 ring from our high school with the wife's first name on it. It just so happens I lost her class ring about 30 years ago. For you youngsters, we all used to have these things called class rings. When you were "goin steady" with a girl, you'd swap class rings. There were only 3 girls that shared her first name in our class, so odds are pretty good it was hers.

I sent the kid a message and told him that I was pretty sure it was hers, but I couldn't even begin to remember what it looked like. But what I do remember is every vehicle I've ever owned in amazing detail.

I thought back to around the time I lost it and asked if the truck was a white, '89 S-10 Baja edition. Nope.

Ok, was it a red/white 1972 Chevy Custom Camper? Nope.

Damn. Those were the two trucks I had back then. He then, said it's a Ford. Heresy! I have NEVER owned a Ford. That'd be like owning a red tractor. I bristled at the mere accusation.

Then it hit me, is the Ford in question red? Yep.

Is it an '86 F-250 with a 302, 4 speed manual, and the most ridiculously small(13 gallon :rolleyes: ) gas tank ever put in a truck? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

It was the shop truck from the place I served my tool maker's apprenticeship. Before you got to touch a machine, you swept floors and drove truck. I was in and out of that truck a dozen times a day for the first six months I worked there.

I must have put the ring in my pocket when I was handling something that would damage it and had it fall out and get wedged between the seat back and seat bottom. And there it sat for 30 years until this kid folded the seatback forward and out it fell.

So last night the wife and me met the kid and got her ring back. He was a super nice. We offered him cash, beer, to take him out to dinner at the place of his choosing. He said, no thanks. I don't want anything. He was just happy for it to be back with its owner.

The only thing he did accept was my help in his effort to get the truck titled. His old boss bought the truck in 2013 from my old boss, the truck's original owner. His old boss lost the title before ever taking it to the BMV and just used the truck on his property. So in the eyes of the BMV, my old boss could file for a lost title and sign it over to the kid so he can get the old girl back on the road.

Not sure why an '86 Ford is worth the effort, but it's the least I can do.:D
    Great story! Would go great in the Yesterday thread too :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Dottie is from Chandler, Indiana​

Alabama lifeguards CARRY 95-year-old woman to her beach chair every day for a week after spotting her daughter struggling to push her wheelchair through the sand​

Top Bottom