• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A lathe and a mill (I have a South bend lathe and a Bridgeport J head mill) , however a good quality drill press with a an "X-Y table" is a great investment.
    Buy a few good center drills and screw machine leanth drills.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I`m not a terribly handy guy, but I want to be able to do things like remove scope mounts, etc., for myself from my rifles and shotguns. What are the decent, and reasonably priced gunsmithing tool sets available that would allow me to do things like that? Any recommendations at all on brands, or types, or even specific tool sets?
    The following items are a MUST have on the gun bench for me. Lots of other things to consider, but this is meat and taters:

Punch Set

Driver w/ bits

Hex head torque driver

360 vise

A few other considerations
    (Harbor Freight is your friend!)
    - long q-tips
    - dental picks (I like the angled ones)
    - T-handle hex wrenches

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    gregr,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I really like the idea of helping folks find good tool ideas. I'll look back often.

Does anyone have a good method for organizing all of their tools? i have three card board boes and that is not ideal!

Thanks!
    I used an old wooden "Kennedy" machinist box I got from my Granddad when he passed. I think it is mid 1930's and is in really good shape for being used all those years and I continue to use it. It holds all the 1911 specific tools and bits. The AR tools are in the bottom drawer. Vernier calipers micrometers India stones Swedish files and so much more.
    I also have a much newer Kennedy machinist box made of metal from the mid 70's far as I can tell that I got from a dear friend dads' estate when he passed. It holds all the rest of the bits like the multi tip screw sticks and spare parts as in spring/pin kits for 1911's and AR's. They are both full.
    Well, there "Were" full but as I am in a struggle health wise, I have distributed all those tools out to Ingo people that will carry the torch for me.
    Buy good tools. Get specific gun smith screw drivers as they will be different than anything you have in the screw stick drawer of your toolbox. Get quality files and stones. They cost more but also serve you very well and longer than cheap crap.

Find you niche/limit as to what you are attempting to do and go to Brownells and just start shopping.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have had a Chapman gun screwdriver set for years.

Love to have one of these, but haven't sprung for it yet.

One of the guys I work with allowed me to borrow his Fix-It-Sticks. I can tell you, they are VERY well made.
    When my current set meets it's demise, Fix-It-Sticks will be 1st on the list.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Jeweler's screw drivers. Maybe even two sets. I cannot tell you how invaluable the smallest flat-head has been at removing carbon fouling from under extractors as well as tight corners in/around bolt faces and what not. But it takes judicious application of the screwdriver as to not mar the surfaces.

A micro screwdriver set that contains all the specialty bits - especially Torx.

Some kind of torque wrench. I wish now that I had a FAT wrench and not the uni-directional small beam-style that I have now.

Pick set, both metal and polymer.

Toothbrush.

Tooth-brush-sized steel, bronze, and plastic bristles.

GOOD LIGHTING that's adjustable as to brightness, focus, and location if you can. One of my Christmas presents this year was a large lighted magnifying lamp. Like they used to use to search for head lice in schools.
    Get some "dental picks" from Harbor Freight for scraping carbon in areas that are hard to reach (EG: around extractors).
    They are very inexpensive and hold up quite well. A set of picks is one of the few things I spend money on at HF.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Get some "dental picks" from Harbor Freight for scraping carbon in areas that are hard to reach (EG: around extractors).
    They are very inexpensive and hold up quite well. A set of picks is one of the few things I spend money on at HF.
    I've got both metal dental picks and a set of plastic ones. I honestly rarely ever use the metal ones. I find they have too fine of a point on them - which may lead to too much pressure on certain areas - which may lead to metal damage. Steel dental picks are hard, yo.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I've got both metal dental picks and a set of plastic ones. I honestly rarely ever use the metal ones. I find they have too fine of a point on them - which may lead to too much pressure on certain areas - which may lead to metal damage. Steel dental picks are hard, yo.
    They are great for getting crap out of the screw heads and the lettering on a gun. I have about 4 sets in various stages of wear for either sharp or blunt applications...

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You make a good point. Steel on aluminum (EG: AR lower) will definitely scar.

You do need a bit of finesse, but they can be very helpful.
    Some have more flatted ends that are excellent for scraping carbon out of silencers, etc.

Hard to go wrong at $4.99 a set: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html?_br_psugg_q=pick+set
    Not all sets show online and the inventory changes so check the brick and mortar...they often have a couple of different sets in the store.

Top Bottom