• cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    YouTube:

IG:

Here’s a pretty funny video you might have seen. This video also shows some very important lessons I’d like to just highlight for others that I reflected on, after laughing of course.

1. Any situation can become life threatening at any moment
    - One moment you’re taking your brownies to a church bake sale, the next moment your wife is being attacked by a bobcat... I find it impressive this man ran toward his screaming wife and physically engages the threat, in this case a bobcat. Right or wrong to do, it would have been totally unacceptable to point his gun at the bobcat that was also on his wife. A great lesson just right there; Be a man, use your hands, defend our women.

2. Not every threat deserves lethal force as a first resort
    - Since the threat was physically engaged with his wife, I find it acceptable to accelerate to lethal options pretty early. However, I find it worth noting; if this bobcat were not physically engaging anyone and just appeared threatening, remember there are other options. You most of the time have the option, and OBLIGATION as an armed citizen, to de-escalate as much as possible. You can always walk away... If my wife is being attacked, I’m not going anywhere. This is all situationally dependent but still worth reflecting on.

3. Once committed to using your firearm, be mindful of where the threat is, and more importantly, is not.
    - In this very intense moment, the victim’s husband did not immediately draw his firearm. In fact, I had to watch this video several times before I was able to see the pistol he did eventually draw. After he draws his pistol, I am impressed with is muzzle discipline and awareness of collateral. This kind of discipline does not come automatic! Adrenaline does not enhance skills you do not possess, it actually degrades many functions, for the better in some cases. My point here, if you expect this to come naturally, you must expect to train with your firearm. It was obvious to me, this man is well trained in firearms, and so should all of us.

I am a special forces combat Veteran. I find inspiration in this video to train often to keep the skills I already have sharp. Training once, or even 1000 times, in the past is great! But you have to keep your skills sharp. Think of it as a professional certification you get, most of those certs require a renewal at some point, for good reason.

Anyways, food for thought. I have been told that I have a knack for ruining the funny moments with life lessons... I’m not sure why...

Last edited:

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Yeah, saw that video. I hate cats.

After a recent dog incident, I'm making sure to carry my Wave-opener knife more often outside the house. I would have to think if wife keeps her throat protected, a bobcat is not a immediate lethal threat. And if it clamps on, that's keeping the brain stem more still for me to stab.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yeah, saw that video. I hate cats.

After a recent dog incident, I'm making sure to carry my Wave-opener knife more often outside the house. I would have to think if wife keeps her throat protected, a bobcat is not a immediate lethal threat. And if it clamps on, that's keeping the brain stem more still for me to stab.

Stabbing your wife's brainstem seems extreme, though it would end her suffering.

Top Bottom