• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    I realize this is very much a case-by-case question, but any thoughts on a good age to start taking your children to a range? My oldest is 7. We've had general safety conversations about what to do if you find a gun, etc, but I'm considering picking her up her first gun and taking her somewhere to learn how to use it.

Also, any recommendations on good places to take her that would be "kid friendly". I'm fine with an outdoor range once the weather gets better. We are in the Fishers area. Thanks.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Seven should be old enough, but as you recognize yourself, it depends on the maturity of the child. I took my oldest two boys shooting together; my oldest was five, my second was three. They both handled it fine and kept asking for more.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As another poster has said: It all depends on YOUR child.

There are plenty of 30 year old "kids" that shouldn't be going to the range...

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There's no magic "age" as has been pointed out above. I've had guns negligently pointed in my direction by ADULTS! As a dad of 5, I test/observe my kids with less-than-lethal devices like BB guns and airsoft guns to gauge when they're ready for the range. It's worked well and gives them the chance to develop good gun handling habits, without the potential deadly consequences, before graduating to "dad's guns." It's also a good motivator for them to pay attention, because they know if they do well with their BB/airsoft guns, they get more responsibility.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I think it depends on the kid, obviously.

Having worked for the BSA, I can tell you I trust most of the kids who go through Rifle Shooting there then I trust some of the yahoos I encounter at ranges or dealers.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My four have been to the Indiana Gun Club several times, they hit the button when we call for clays. They watch the adults handle the guns safe. And then we set up and shoot the clays that are on the ground with the BB guns. Great times. Otherwise it's BB guns in the garage and basement. We also practice safe handling, checking for an open action, empty gun, every single time we go in the safe to clean or work on a gun.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    There's no magic "age" as has been pointed out above. I've had guns negligently pointed in my direction by ADULTS! As a dad of 5, I test/observe my kids with less-than-lethal devices like BB guns and airsoft guns to gauge when they're ready for the range. It's worked well and gives them the chance to develop good gun handling habits, without the potential deadly consequences, before graduating to "dad's guns." It's also a good motivator for them to pay attention, because they know if they do well with their BB/airsoft guns, they get more responsibility.

I am not a father, but if I had a child/children, I think I would do the exact same as posted above. Airsoft guns are about as real as they come without being real. Once my child has shown me they can operate and fire a airsoft gun safely, it would be time to show him/her the real thing.

I read in a post a while ago, and I thought this was an excellent way of seeing if your child is ready.

The poster said something along the lines of, "After discussing what to do when you find a gun, I left a unloaded pistol on the entertainment center, just to see what he/she would do with it when it was discovered."

I am just saying what I recall from memory as I cannot seem to find that post. :dunno:

Blade

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I was actually thinking about taking my little brother to the range to teach him about gun safety and what a real gun feels like when fired.

But back on topic.. IMO maturity and age doesn't mean ****.
    If your child is old enough to understand what a gun is.
    You should be able to take them to the range.
    BUT.. you also must supervise them.
    Now depending on how old and mature the are should determine how much supervision they actually need.

:twocents:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    depends on the kid, blah blah blah...

My brother-in-law just started going to the Hamilton Co. Fish & Game up in Noblesville and really likes it. It costs $175 for a family membership, you must be a member of the NRA, and must attend 3 meetings to get your membership. I haven't been yet, but judging on his comments I would definitely recommend checking it out.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Look, tell your kids the 4 safety rulez of shooting. When they can tell you those rulez on command you're halfway there. Give them a play gun or BB gun to handle. When they can demonstrate good safety practices with it, you're good to go to the range!

I have a 10yo who is just getting to that point, a 7yo with no interest and a 3 and 4 yo who both are already showing good safety habits when daddy cleans his guns! :D

JL7072

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    My 4 & 6 year old boys shot a little today. They have had a bb gun with instructions on safety for over a year now. They have also shot a 22 rifle, and today was a 9mm & 22 handgun. I talk them through each step the entire time, close enough (and ready) to grab the gun should it point in an unsafe direction. They have trouble limp wristing, so jambs were frequent.

We practice safe handling in the house a couple times a week (when they get curious & want to see the guns). They know not to pick up a gun unless I'm there, they also can check to see if a round is in the chamber & know how to remove the magazine.

They are not be allowed to handle a loaded gun without constant instruction and me being within an arms length away. I know their attention span! Good dad & kid time together :)

Top Bottom