Going to Madison Indiana tomorrow looking for things to do.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I've been planning to go to Madison for a few weeks now. Just a quick get away for my wife and I. (Wink wink.) I'd planned on visiting a few of the historic home tours, but I just noticed something when I was reading more details. Several of the tours don't start until mid April.
    So now I'm looking for more things to do so we're not just "wandering around." Here is/was my plan in general.
    Get up Saturday morning. (Wait for my wife to get up and get ready.) Drive down and be there late morning. Maybe walk down the main street area and kind of take in look for things to do after lunch.
    Break for lunch at some downtown diner. Then perhaps go into one or two shops. I'd wanted to then tour a couple of the old homes but the only one I've found open year round is Lanier Home. (Which we'll do.) After that dinner and back to the hotel to swim for a bit before bedtime.
    Wake up on Sunday and either take a walk down by the river hit up a coffee shop. Then back home.
    Anybody know of any neat historic architectural tours to take that are actually open right now? Or other things to do?
    Couple of extra notes. Hotel is already booked so coming down later is not an option. Not really a drinker so not interested in bar scenes.
    Thanks in advance for any quick help you all might have.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I suggest you ask the desk person at the hotel about any current tours. They should have the skinny on those opportunities. Staying at the Clifty Inn or someplace else? Drive through the campus of Hanover College and take in the view from the overlook there. You'll know when you're there as you can see the river bend in two directions, a rare sight. May I recommend Hinkles for your diner experience. It's in the 300 block of Main Street I believe. Eat sitting side-by-side at the short order counter and watch hamburger mastery happen right in front of you. Madison Coffee & Tea is just a little further east at the corner of West & Main. The Historic Broadway Hotel & Tavern is on Broadway Street just south of Main. It's a fine place with a nice outdoor garden patio if it's warm enough. There's plenty of small shops up and down Main Street. Other locally-operated culinary ideas are Key West Shrimp House on Ferry Street down by the new Madison-Milton Bridge and at the other end of town is the Red Pepper Deli and Red Pepperoni Pizza, located across the street from one another at the corner of Cragmont and Main. For dessert, regardless of where you eat, try the Red Peppermint on Main Street about halfway between Hinkles and the Broadway. There's plenty of places to just walk downtown and take in the architecture or stroll the riverfront and watch a towboat slurp by from one of the many benches. The river has been up recently so it may be a little sloppy but who cares? It's Madison! Forgot to plug Hong-Kong Kitchen at the corner of Main & West.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    thanks for advice so far. I thought about staying at Clifty Inn, but I really wanted a pool. (Need to get some more practice in.) Definitely going to look into that look out view from Hanover. Love those kind of views.
    Anybody got a feel for the The Downtowner restaurant? The Hinkle sounds interesting, but I'm not so much a White Castle fan. Let me rephrase that I'm I a fan of it, but it's not a fan of me in return.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Just hiked Clifty today and had the place to ourselves. If you go, all trails crossing the creek are basically a no go unless you don't mind knee deep ice cold water and bare feet. Wife fell in, so that presented some interesting speed hiking while it was snowing. Red Pepperoni pizza for lunch. It's on the west end of town.

Dirty Steve

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If you like history check out Red Dog Arms on Main st. The owner, Michael, custom makes muzzle loaders and has some neat civil war stuff. Beware, he is a Confederate sympathizer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay is there some rich guy named Red in Madison? Red Pepperoni Pizza, Red Peppermint, Red Pepper Deli, Red Dog Arms... I'm sensing a theme here. :dunno:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...So now I'm looking for more things to do so we're not just "wandering around."...
    There's a reason the ad campaign said "Wander Indiana", and you're trying to ruin it! :laugh:

I just 'wander' to the local pub, 'wander' back home. Then the next morning I 'wander' what happened. :lmfao:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Okay is there some rich guy named Red in Madison? Red Pepperoni Pizza, Red Peppermint, Red Pepper Deli, Red Dog Arms... I'm sensing a theme here. :dunno:

I'd guess its due to the local school colors and sports teams, but I could be wrong.

1391109588Madison_M.jpg

ad_nophoto.gif

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A lot of states had their counties marked on their license plates back then and thought there was a Wander County in Indiana.

Top Bottom