• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I currently live in Indy and im going to school down here. Im going home for Thanksgiving (Wabash area) and i want to take my AR and my G19 with me to shoot some over the holiday. But over the weekend i will be traveling to Illinois for another family Thanksgiving. I dont want to leave my guns in Wabash because itd be out of my way coming back to Indy. I plan on coming straight back from Illinois. My step dad will probably want to shoot my guns if possible. I need to know how to do this legally. If possible. I will be in Illinois for 2 days.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would assume and that is a bad idea but break down your weapons have them in locked cases with the ammo locked elsewhere. I have a daughter who lives there, (Illinois), and generally break their draconion firearm laws but it's your choice. You could call the local sheriff's dept in Illinois for advice? (bad idea imho)

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    As long as they aren't loaded, cased, and inaccessible you are fine and it all depends where you go as too what inaccessible means. Illinois does allow hunting and while Chicago is a black mark on the whole state, the whole state is not like Chicago ;)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Check with Melensdad. He's up on this stuff. He helped me a lot when I was making a trip to IL, but I was just going in and back out again.

I was instructed to lock mine in a hard case unloaded--WITH THE AMMO--and put it in the very back of the car since I don't have a trunk.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    yeah you can shoot there as long as you have landowner permission and it's safe to do so. In your case with the jeep just make sure it's in the back. If you have a hard case lock it but I've never been hassled if I had a shotgun or rifle in the cab of the truck with me and the weather was crap.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    So.......

Lock up both guns in their hard cases. Put them in the back of the Jeep.
    Lock up the ammo and put in the back seat away from the guns.

And i am able to shoot on the property with my guns? He does have a 200 yard range and has shot his own rifles on it before.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Drive around Illinois. Really. You would not believe the kind of cops they have there. They get to decide what is "inaccessible to the driver" and what kind of case. I have had friends severely hassled and detained when driving an SUV or a Jeep that has no "trunk". If you get stopped for speeding and they decide to search your vehicle you will wish you had not brought any firearms. I lived there for 12 years and I will NEVER go back there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Illinois' transport laws aren't nearly as draconian as most Hoosiers think...

Yes, there are a few locations (Chicago and a few other cities up that way) that highly restrict even the mere possession of firearms.

But IL doesn't even require IL residents to take such extreme measures to transport their own firearms.

Illinois law only requires that they be unloaded and in an enclosed case.

Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

Don't make it unnecessarily hard on yourselves!

-J-

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    If your going by on Route 52 stop out at our farm, we usually have a good shoot on Thanksgiving. Also, you can buy ammo here w/o the stinking Illinois FOID all you have to do is show your DL. Have a great time and remember if you stay South of I80 you'll be around like minded people.

Also, the ILL supreme court ruled that consoles in cars are considered cases. That's where mine rides.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Illinois' transport laws aren't nearly as draconian as most Hoosiers think...

Yes, there are a few locations (Chicago and a few other cities up that way) that highly restrict even the mere possession of firearms.

But IL doesn't even require IL residents to take such extreme measures to transport their own firearms.

Illinois law only requires that they be unloaded and in an enclosed case.

Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

Don't make it unnecessarily hard on yourselves!

-J-

Great!! Thanks. I dont plan on being around Chicago at all. Ill be in Buckley a small town with a bunch of old farmers basically.

If your going by on Route 52 stop out at our farm, we usually have a good shoot on Thanksgiving. Also, you can buy ammo here w/o the stinking Illinois FOID all you have to do is show your DL. Have a great time and remember if you stay South of I80 you'll be around like minded people.

Also, the ILL supreme court ruled that consoles in cars are considered cases. That's where mine rides.

I would stop by if i knew where that was at lol

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thats the other thing...i dont have a trunk. I drive a Jeep. And is it alright to shoot in Illinois? My family has a good sized farm

Gun UNLOADED in case. Ammo in case. Cases sealed (zipped rifle case/pistol case). Magazine can be loaded but not inserted in the gun. Toss them in the back seat or area behind the back seat. Drive to Illinois. Their transport laws are actually very reasonable and easy to comply with.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Wow Buckley. My favorite Aunt lived there in the senior duplexes until she passed away. Our farm is near Martinton. Near US 52 and ILL Rte. 1.

You won't have an ounce of trouble over that direction. Have a great Thanksgiving!

R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I have a good friend who is a retired Indiana State Trooper and his advise to me has always been "DON'T". If stopped by the wrong person you may lose more than your guns.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Agreed.

And, until 1 July 2011, they were actually much BETTER than Indiana's transport laws.

-J-
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

If any state had horrible transport laws for handguns it was Indiana. July 1, 2011 fixed that problem. We now have laws on our books that are roughly equivalent to the Illinois laws for transporting firearms. I'm not sure why it took us so long to get to the sane Illinois laws as it did, but its done now. Both Hoosiers and Suckers can travel through Illinois with firearms under sane laws.

Top Bottom