• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Before you say it, I am not currently living in Indiana and I am living someplace where I can have an Auto knife.

A while back I fell in love with a Benchmade Infidel 3300 Infidel® OTF | Benchmade. This was my first interaction with an out the front Dual action knife.

With the talk of them becoming legal in Indiana, Brad (from Bard's Knives) proposed a Microtech. Now some of theirs are out of my price-rang. I would love to have a HALO but its more than I am willing to pay right now. But its so beautiful!

My criteria for this knife right now is an automatic out the front, dual action, good blade steel.

What would INGO recommend for me?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Before you say it, I am not currently living in Indiana and I am living someplace where I can have an Auto knife.

A while back I fell in love with a Benchmade Infidel 3300 Infidel® OTF | Benchmade. This was my first interaction with an out the front Dual action knife.

With the talk of them becoming legal in Indiana, Brad (from Bard's Knives) proposed a Microtech. Now some of theirs are out of my price-rang. I would love to have a HALO but its more than I am willing to pay right now. But its so beautiful!

My criteria for this knife right now is an automatic out the front, dual action, good blade steel.

What would INGO recommend for me?

In general, OTF knives are finicky due to their design, they are very susceptible to dirt, pocket lent, and other foreign material getting inside which can cause a failure to fire. OTF knives are cool and have that coolness factor about them, but if you are wanting something that you are going to be carrying on a regular bases with reliability, stay with and OTS (out the side) design. As far as OTS brands, I would go with a Protech or Benchmade. Both are USA manufactured and have life time warranties.:twocents:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    If your goin OTF from what I've seen a single action out the front is a lot more stout and less prone to failure, I had a cheap one that was single action and it never failed, but I'm sure brad could tell ya more on that then myself

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If your goin OTF from what I've seen a single action out the front is a lot more stout and less prone to failure, I had a cheap one that was single action and it never failed, but I'm sure brad could tell ya more on that then myself

You are correct in the fact that a single action OTF is more reliable than a double action OTF but still not as reliable as a OTS (out the side). You can still have issues with dirt and foreign matter getting into the knife through the blade opening that can cause a failure to fire. With a single action OTF, you have to manually reset (retract) the blade after you fire it.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I'm leaning toward the OTF Dual action for the pure novelty of it.

Right now I am very drawn to the Microtech Ultratech

Price isn't cheap but there are worse ones!!

Brad, any experience with this one? If for whatever reason I get talked out of an OTF I will probably pick up an Emerson Wave....ya I know completely the other direction, but hey.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't know much about OTF knives, but isn't there a constant risk of triggering the blade and ripping a hole in your pants (or your leg) any time you bump into a table or something? At least with a side folder, it's not going to pierce anything if it fires while it's in your pocket.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I don't know much about OTF knives, but isn't there a constant risk of triggering the blade and ripping a hole in your pants (or your leg) any time you bump into a table or something? At least with a side folder, it's not going to pierce anything if it fires while it's in your pocket.

Isn't that part of the excitement? Knowing at any moment you could accidental pierce you leg with a cold piece of sharp steel!!

From what I have read, the dual action knives take a positive movement on the trigger that will not a low the knife to fire without intentionally pushing the lever forward.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm leaning toward the OTF Dual action for the pure novelty of it.

Right now I am very drawn to the Microtech Ultratech

Price isn't cheap but there are worse ones!!

Brad, any experience with this one? If for whatever reason I get talked out of an OTF I will probably pick up an Emerson Wave....ya I know completely the other direction, but hey.

I have literally owned hundreds of the Ultratech models, it is probably the most popular Microtech model due to the price and size (not big, but not too small and is very pocket friendly).

A good quality OTF like Microtech or Benchmade will take a lot of thumb pressure to fire and retract the blade. It's highly unlikely during carry that you could even get it to fire when it is in your pocket.

Now, with the cheap OTF knives that you see for under $100.00 (mostly the China made junk), I would be very concerned/worried about carrying one in my pocket. The pressure it takes to move the activation button is minimal and IMO there is a chance that you could fire the blade while it's in your pocket. These cheap OTF knives are endorsed by Planned Parenthood. :D

Last edited:

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010

My Benchmade Infidel that I had wouldn't even go through a piece of paper if it was held in front of it. I doubt it would go though somebody's leg.

That's not a knock on the knife though. I just wanted to throw that out there.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If you want an Auto you have to decide if you want an overpriced toy or a weapon. automatic folders never seemed to make much sense as I am faster with a spyderco or microtech with thumb stud than most are with an auto. when emerson released the Wave and spyderco bought license to it the automatic folders really became obsolete in my opinion.

What Bradknives said," In general, OTF knives are finicky due to their design, they are very susceptible to dirt, pocket lent, and other foreign material getting inside which can cause a failure to fire. OTF knives are cool and have that coolness factor about them, but if you are wanting something that you are going to be carrying on a regular bases with reliability, stay with and OTS (out the side) design. As far as OTS brands, I would go with a Protech or Benchmade. Both are USA manufactured and have life time warranties" is a bit of a misnomer. all pocket knives are susceptible to dirt and lint, OTS folders just make it easier to inspect. and occasional blast of G96 or CLP in an OTF auto will mitigate this.

Microtech makes the best looking Automatic knives IMHO. if you watn a toy get a DA/SA, if you want a weapon get a HALO or other OTF from microtech.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    My Benchmade Infidel that I had wouldn't even go through a piece of paper if it was held in front of it. I doubt it would go though somebody's leg.

I get this all of the time at shows in states were autos are legal. There is a misconception that OTF autos will penetrate objects (paper, woods, humans...etc.) as the blade is firing out of the handle. This is not the case with modern designed OTF autos. The current designs have a internal release safety mechanism incorporated into them that if the blade hits anything while deploying the blade releases from the firing mechanism. If this happens you will have to manually reset the blade by pulling it out all of the way until it resets.

BTW: Once the blade has been deployed, the lock up is very strong, at least for the Microtech models. I have seen videos of the owner of Microtech punching holes through a 55 gallon steel drum with several of his models by hammering the back of the knife with a 2x4 until the knife goes through the drum then he was able to retract the blade and re-fire the blade...no apparent damage was done to the knife.

I'm somewhat surprised that the Benchmade Infidel won't go through paper because paper doesn't have enough resistance to trigger the blade safety release system.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If you want an Auto you have to decide if you want an overpriced toy or a weapon. automatic folders never seemed to make much sense as I am faster with a spyderco or microtech with thumb stud than most are with an auto. when emerson released the Wave and spyderco bought license to it the automatic folders really became obsolete in my opinion.

What Bradknives said," In general, OTF knives are finicky due to their design, they are very susceptible to dirt, pocket lent, and other foreign material getting inside which can cause a failure to fire. OTF knives are cool and have that coolness factor about them, but if you are wanting something that you are going to be carrying on a regular bases with reliability, stay with and OTS (out the side) design. As far as OTS brands, I would go with a Protech or Benchmade. Both are USA manufactured and have life time warranties" is a bit of a misnomer. all pocket knives are susceptible to dirt and lint, OTS folders just make it easier to inspect. and occasional blast of G96 or CLP in an OTF auto will mitigate this.

Microtech makes the best looking Automatic knives IMHO. if you watn a toy get a DA/SA, if you want a weapon get a HALO or other OTF from microtech.

With all due respect, I will have to disagree with your statement. Just "blasting" an OTF with G96 or CLP occasionally will due more harm than good. There is nothing wrong with cleaning an OTF knife, but you will want to make sure that it is completely dry before you reassemble it. One or two very small drops of Rem oil at the base of the blade is all you need. Matter of fact most OTF knives run better dry (like some guns) than they do with lubrication.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I get this all of the time at shows in states were autos are legal. There is a misconception that OTF autos will penetrate objects (paper, woods, humans...etc.) as the blade is firing out of the handle. This is not the case with modern designed OTF autos. The current designs have a internal release safety mechanism incorporated into them that if the blade hits anything while deploying the blade releases from the firing mechanism. If this happens you will have to manually reset the blade by pulling it out all of the way until it resets.

That's interesting! I had no idea. As I said, I know next to nothing about autos.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I tried on myself with my OTF auto knife.
    I can put it right against my bare hand and shoot the blade open.No blood.You barely feel it on your skin.
    Against your leg if you are wearing jeans you dont even feel it.

WARNING:

Dont try this on your model, you may have a more powerful spring.

I just bought one auto knife because I was curious about them and thought it was cool.But other than that I like my manual folders better.
    I can even open my manual folders faster than my OTF knife.
    If I hold my OTF in my left hand and a manual folder on my right hand (Spyderco Tenacious for example), they open both at the same time.You just hear one single "clic" when they both open.
    With a manual folder with a wave feature you can even open it faster than any auto knife, since it opens as it leaves your pocket.
    It takes longer to take your auto out of your pocket, and then only push the button to open it.
    Also manual folders have better and stronger locks in my opinion.
    They are also chearper and legal in Indiana.

So I really dont see any reason why someone would carry an automatic.
    If you get good with your manual folder you can open it as quick or even quicker than any auto, and if you train you can do that with both hands.
    I leave my automatic at home.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    automatic folders never seemed to make much sense as I am faster with a spyderco or microtech with thumb stud than most are with an auto. when emerson released the Wave and spyderco bought license to it the automatic folders really became obsolete in my opinion.

I agree.

I would spend the money on a good Spyderco or Emerson rather than on any kind of automatic knife.

:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well just placed an order for....wait for it.....A Microtech Ultratech with Black double edge 1/2 serrated blade!!!!! Here's a link to the knife I bought.

While I was at it....I couldn't help but to pick up another knife I had wanted. I decided on an Emerson Mini CQC 15 with satin straight edge!! Here is a link to this one!

You're welcome for the Microtech link, by the way... hehe

-J-

Top Bottom