• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Dinty's in the camp fire with a hole in the top of the can was a common evening meal. Lonehoosiers meals look fabulous.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Dinty's in the camp fire with a hole in the top of the can was a common evening meal. Lonehoosiers meals look fabulous.
    Here's some deep dish pizza, smoke sausage potatos and onion along with cornbread.

856AC065-2D8E-4329-9C58-85305E52A465_zpsyvxjbeid.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you are new to Dutch Ovens, read a book, or look them up.

I walked up on people before that had their Dutch oven in the fire, and another group that that covered the oven with coals. It doesn't take that much.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Oh man, this thread brought back some good memories of Boy Scout camping, complete with peach cobbler made in a Dutch Oven and smearing the outside of pots with liquid soap to make cleaning the black off easier. Of course, if you can arrange for a sheepherder stove, then the soap ain't necessary.

Good times.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If you are new to Dutch Ovens, read a book, or look them up.

I walked up on people before that had their Dutch oven in the fire, and another group that that covered the oven with coals. It doesn't take that much.

I have cooked many of meals use campfire coals instead of charcoal. It takes a hole lot of campfire coals to cook a pot roast for 45 to 60 minutes. Also there are a lot of homemade biscuits recipes that you need the oven to 500 degrees, so your only option is direct heat.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have cooked many of meals use campfire coals instead of charcoal. It takes a hole lot of campfire coals to cook a pot roast for 45 to 60 minutes. Also there are a lot of homemade biscuits recipes that you need the oven to 500 degrees, so your only option is direct heat.

The people I saw were noobs. And when we pulled the cover off their oven, the food was burnt to a crisp.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This mostly goes against anything I believe about food and nutrition nowadays, but i once let my daughter, as a teen, talk me into buying Spaghetti-Os to cook over a fire, and on the stove in a houseboat on Dale Hollow. We did doctor it up with cheese. :rolleyes: I may have actually enjoyed it, don't tell...

I use canned pastas like that as a base. Yes, adding proper seasonings and cheese can actually make them palatable.

I keep them in my drawer at work so I'm not spending $7-8/day for a hot lunch.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I like to stop at GFS on our way out of town when camping and pick up a precooked Prime Rib, then when we get to our destination pan fry it for lunch, convection/microwave (you did say class C right?) it for dinner and serve it straight from the fridge for breakfast. An avg Prime Rib will supply us all weekend, unless another campsite gets winds of what we're serving........

Surprised no one has suggested lathering baked potatoes in bacon grease before wrapping them in foil and tossing in the coals.

Top Bottom