• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    I don't know the airport parking lot laws in NC but I found this interesting. I put the emphasis on a few points of interest:

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - Police say an Ohio man has been charged after authorities spotted him with a gun in a North Carolina airport parking lot as Air Force One was departing.
    Airport police Capt. Kevan Smith says at about 2 p.m. Sunday, officers saw 23-year-old Joseph McVey get out of a car in the public lot and he was wearing a handgun.
    Security was heightened because President Barack Obama was departing after vacationing in the state. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane.
    Smith says McVey's car had strobe lights like a police car might, but the suspect is not in law enforcement.
    McVey is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor. Smith says the investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun and why his car was equipped with strobe lights is continuing.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I want to be charged with that. It sounds awesome.

Going armed in terror of the public. LOL

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Here's the NC restrictions on carrying. I don't see anything about airport parking lots.

A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun:
    • on public or private school property.
    • In any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission.
    • In any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
    • In the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, or the Western Residence of the Governor, or the grounds of any of these building.
    • In any building or portion of a building used for court purposes.
    • In a place prohibited by federal law.
    • In a law enforcement or correctional facility.
    • In a building housing only state, federal or government offices.
    • In any financial institution;.
    • In any premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    • In any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions. It is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any “dangerous weapon” in any area under a declared state of emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    that list doesn't say anything about open carry, which from what I gathered, mcvey was... also no mention of airport PL...

as for whether he was carrying to the terror of the public: did he cause a panic in anyone other than the officer(s) who arrested him? he was nowhere near Potus, and there's not really any risk that he could have brought down AF1 with a handgun, unless he was at the end of the runway facing the plane.

I don't want to be the first to call martial law, but its kinda looking like we may be headed that way not too far off in the future.

*as for police impersonation, there are many reasons why he could have had those lights on his car. as long as they are not red and blue, there is no way that charge will stick.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep i agree with the impersonation thing. he could be security or anything.

plus your right he FOR SURE was no threat to AF1 because (if POTUS was aboard) if he would have even raised a gun he would be maggot food. courtessy of a sniper :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here is a pic of the young guy (23 years old)
    capt.72c519a2998c47b1a6da901d79ccf973-72c519a2998c47b1a6da901d79ccf973-0.jpg

Looks like harry potter.

Also from Yahoo news...
    McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president and he had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, though he did not work in law enforcement, authorities said.

and
    His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash, Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window, four large antennas on the trunk lid, and under the steering wheel was a working siren box.
    When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean.

well guys, in an UBER SECRET NINJA INSIDE MOVE I managed to get a copy of McVeys "Rifle Scope Formulas LIST" here it is:

snookums, please pick up the following items from the store on the way home. - LOVE MOMMY

1 can, mushrooms
    1 box baking powder
    1 gallon Milk
    1 dozen eggs
    1 bag sugar

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    If that's really him in the picture, they must be really skiddish over there in NC. :P Terror of the public? Haha, comeon...

Maybe if it was Vinnie Jones pulling up in an H1 with Dual OC'd Desert Eagle .50's and an AK47 strapped across his chest, screaming obscenities in his UK accent, I could understand. But this guy with a single pistol strapped to his hip?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Also from Yahoo news...
    McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president and he had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights (not illegal), though he did not work in law enforcement, authorities said.

and
    His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash (not illegal, a friend of mine has them on his plow truck), Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window (not illegal), four large antennas on the trunk lid (AM/FM, CB, HAM, and scanner, maybe?), and under the steering wheel was a working siren box (not illegal, unless you use it to impersonate a LEO).
    When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece (not illegal), Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder (so? I have ballistics info at home, too). Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean. (Maybe they should ask their SWAT guys)

Unless there is more to the story, this guess got arrested for not being very smart. Sure, asking to see the POTUS while you are armed isn't the best idea, but illegal? Come on! Just tell the guy to send a letter instead, and send him on his way.

Top Bottom