• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but I definitely believe there is a political component to it.

I was reading the thread about how the Hoosier GOP was going to take another in the rear by letting Dems direct the AG selection process and I decided to write my rep, the Honorable Mr. Goodrich.

As I searched my gmail inbox for a note from him, so I could copy this email address, the following modal window popped up, which I have NEVER BEEN PRESENTED WITH IN MY 22+ YEARS OF USING GMAIL!!! (I got lucky and was able to get an account through a guy who worked for Google at the time)
    gmail-popup.jpg

I immediately clicked on every damn email subscription I had to try to replicate it, including some commie email lists (Miguel sometimes has to do "research"...:D)

Anyone ever seen this before? Maybe they were just unfortunate to include me in an A/B test to see how I'd react. And I am reacting, well, poorly.

Are people who subscribe to any leftist email lists getting this? I'm betting not.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Some interesting observations:

1. Note the domain in the unsubscribe solicitation...not Google.
    2. Happened the first time I used the opera-developer browser. It's been uninstalled.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but I definitely believe there is a political component to it.

I was reading the thread about how the Hoosier GOP was going to take another in the rear by letting Dems direct the AG selection process and I decided to write my rep, the Honorable Mr. Goodrich.

As I searched my gmail inbox for a note from him, so I could copy this email address, the following modal window popped up, which I have NEVER BEEN PRESENTED WITH IN MY 22+ YEARS OF USING GMAIL!!! (I got lucky and was able to get an account through a guy who worked for Google at the time)
    View attachment 336123

I immediately clicked on every damn email subscription I had to try to replicate it, including some commie email lists (Miguel sometimes has to do "research"...:D)

Anyone ever seen this before? Maybe they were just unfortunate to include me in an A/B test to see how I'd react. And I am reacting, well, poorly.

Are people who subscribe to any leftist email lists getting this? I'm betting not.
    Yes, I've seen that pop-up before. Like most everything else google-related, in relies on an algorithm, in this case an algorithm that tries to predict if the email you're viewing is unwanted/spam, and if the algorithm predicts that it is, you can have this pop-up.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if this algorithm in intentionally skewed towards prodding people to unsubscribe from conservative-leaning email lists. There are plenty of other documented examples out there of google intentionally skewing their algorithms for political reasons, and I've also noticed it myself a couple of different times.

1. Note the domain in the unsubscribe solicitation...not Google.
    That is unrelated. The domain you are seeing there is the email list service that was used to send the original email to you. Gmail is showing you this to say that if you click "Unsubscribe" that is the domain they'll send the unsubscribe email to for you.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    That is unrelated. The domain you are seeing there is the email list service that was used to send the original email to you. Gmail is showing you this to say that if you click "Unsubscribe" that is the domain they'll send the unsubscribe email to for you.
    Very thoughtful reply, thank you.

I understand the domain issues, but my thought was why would Google, of all people, use a non-Google domain for this type of mail relay. Very interesting...

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Very thoughtful reply, thank you.

I understand the domain issues, but my thought was why would Google, of all people, use a non-Google domain for this type of mail relay. Very interesting...
    Google is not using the non-Google domain, the person sending the email out is.

So basically, Goodrich (or whoever sent that email on his behalf) is using an email service that relays through the domain lists.n-email7.net (or whatever it was.) Thus, if Gmail is to unsubscribe you, it sends an email to leave...@lists.n-email7.net from your gmail account. The lists.n-email7.net domain is the domain used by the software running Goodrich's email list, and is not a domain used by Google.

Hopefully that makes sense...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Google is not using the non-Google domain, the person sending the email out is.

So basically, Goodrich (or whoever sent that email on his behalf) is using an email service that relays through the domain lists.n-email7.net (or whatever it was.) Thus, if Gmail is to unsubscribe you, it sends an email to leave...@lists.n-email7.net from your gmail account. The lists.n-email7.net domain is the domain used by the software running Goodrich's email list, and is not a domain used by Google.

Hopefully that makes sense...
    Perfectly!

You're a fine human being. :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Google mail is a hated but employer based requirement. If I could free my personal devices of Google service completely I would.

Google search I use but wish I could find a better one outside of bing which seems rather gimmicky itself.

I use brave, brave never touches Google google never touches brave. Chrome touches Google. Chrome gets restricted and cookies flushed.

My only true need from google's family of products is YouTube. I have an addiction.

Top Bottom