• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Any thoughts on these? Looking for a full size HD gun. I'm worried about the issues the Gen 4 had been reported. Some say the M&P trigger is not the best. Looking for recommendations from people that actually have shot them. I have a CCW and I'm not interested in something compact because I want capacity. Thanks,
    Doc

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think you're going to have to shoot both to make a decision. They are both outstanding designs. Mechanical issues with either gun don't appear to be particularly widespread. I slightly prefer the M&P for ergonomics and run my mine with Apex parts in them, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry or recommend Glock. The G19, in particular, is a very nice blend of compact size and capacity. You could also go a similar route with an M&P9c + XGrip extension and FS mag.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    They are both proven firearms...
    I carry a G19 3rd Gen-
    My wife carries the M&P Shield-

To each their own, everyone is different...so its hard to say what will work best for you, however both firearms have been out for quite some time (Not pertaining to the Shield) and both the Glock and M&P hold there own.

Just because I like something and it works for me doesnt mean you will feel the same. Get what works for you and train with that particular firearm.

Carry it and stay safe!!

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I have shot the 17. I have the Shield. I love the trigger on the Shield. The 17 was real easy to shoot. I could never get the 19 to shoot. The range for some reason wouldn't let me rent it. I'm somewhat in favor of buying US goods but I guess Glock has a factory in Georgia. Glock users compare 17 vs 19. I really want to stay in the 9mm zip code because of cost and I like to shoot as much as possible.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you already have and like the shield, the M&P makes sense. Grip angle on the Glock is a little different. If you do go glock either the 17 or 34 are good guns.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    For OC or CC I think the 19 (my opinion) works!
    The 17 would be great to OC but for my personal taste was to big. I did like the 26, but being a sub compact I couldnt shoot it as well as the 19. Plus for some reason it would sort of "pinch" my finger where the mag and magwell met. I did not use extensions which might have been part of the problem, but I just didnt care for it as much as the 19.

Again this is my personal experience with the Glocks, since you have the Shield why not just carry that? I have shot my wife's Shield and I must say it shoots great! Love the way the slim grip frame feels in my hand. However, I do enjoy the extended mag on the Shield more than the flush (7rnd) one.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I carry the Shield. I just looking to add a higher capacity for the home. I just like to collect and shoot different types of guns or just collect.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I think either one would work, since you own the Shield why not stick to the M&P line...once you buy them all...buy all the Glocks!! :D
    You can never have enough!!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would like to try an M&P one of these days. Everything I read about former Glock owners going to M&P involve aftermarket triggers to get a good as Glock trigger. I'd probably have to go that route as well. The Shield is apparently the first of the line to get an audible and tactile reset, more like the Glock. My understanding is that will eventually roll out to all the M&Ps. I don't think I would consider one until then.

I really like the idea of a single punch letting me service my pistols. To me, the Glock simplicity and vast array of aftermarket stuff for them still give it an edge. That opinion might change after some range time with an M&P.

Last edited:

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've owned both and they are equals in my opinion. The things I like about the M&P are it's point-ability, sights, and the way it feels in my hand. But I like the trigger on the Glock.

I choose the Glock but that's primarily becuse I have been training with the platform for over 20 years (Dang that makes me feel old) and I am just more proficient with it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've been a Glock guy for a long time. Sold them all and am currently carrying and shooting the M&P Shield and M&P9 full size.

Why did I sell the Glocks? Because I'm not a collector and want to give my full attention to the M&Ps.

The Shield is still bone stock and will probably stay that way, I really like it.

It's bigger brother has been treated to the Apex parts and I'm satisfied with it so far.

I'd highly recommend either.

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    That's like asking if first shift or second shift work is better, it's what works for you. You gotta feel(if possible shoot) them both and see what feels best to you. They are both outstanding and proven firearms.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Is it mainly an ergonomic difference that took you to M&P over Glock, or other reasons?

I actually prefer the way the Glock fills my hand. I think the M&P looks better but I mostly just wanted to give it a try. Even with Apex parts, I don't like the hinged trigger, even though it's much better after the upgrade.

I do like the M&P mags a little more, their shape makes reload a little easier.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I really like the idea of a single punch letting me service my pistols. To me, the Glock simplicity and vast array of aftermarket stuff for them still give it an edge. That opinion might change after some range time with an M&P.

I do prefer the internals of the Glock, I don't like beating on the M&P with a punch and hammer. Seemed weird after just basically pushing pins out with the Glock tool.

Top Bottom