• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mjr.Malfunction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    GOSHEN
    Is anyone concerned that they might be in a confrontation, or possibly firefight, with some Punk ass carrying a Glock 19 full auto? I sell guns for a living and I see a lot of younger guys (21 to 23) coming in looking for a Glock 17 or 19. Glock switches are remarkably easy to get and relatively cheap. Several companies make drum Mags that hold fifty rounds for Glocks. Add a Glock Switch and , well I'm sure you can see the possibilies.

Biggest problem I can see is that a full auto pistol is nearly uncontrollable without a lot of traing. Something most younger owners with little to no experience are not likely to have.
    I don't want to sound like a FUDD but some things should not be so easy for the general public to have. I have no issue with owning a full auto weapon. IF you have the skills and traing to use it correctly but I don't feel that a 21 year old with no real handgun experience and no training with that sort of weapon being able to walk around with a full auto Glock.

For those of you who are Prolly gonna Flame me for this post. Yes they are illegal and getting caught with one would get you in prison but when did that ever stop anyone from doing something stupid.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Is anyone concerned that they might be in a confrontation, or possibly firefight, with some Punk ass carrying a Glock 19 full auto? I sell guns for a living and I see a lot of younger guys (21 to 23) coming in looking for a Glock 17 or 19. Glock switches are remarkably easy to get and relatively cheap. Several companies make drum Mags that hold fifty rounds for Glocks. Add a Glock Switch and , well I'm sure you can see the possibilies.

Biggest problem I can see is that a full auto pistol is nearly uncontrollable without a lot of traing. Something most younger owners with little to no experience are not likely to have.
    I don't want to sound like a FUDD but some things should not be so easy for the general public to have. I have no issue with owning a full auto weapon. IF you have the skills and traing to use it correctly but I don't feel that a 21 year old with no real handgun experience and no training with that sort of weapon being able to walk around with a full auto Glock.

For those of you who are Prolly gonna Flame me for this post. Yes they are illegal and getting caught with one would get you in prison but when did that ever stop anyone from doing something stupid.

While I appreciate the sentiment for community safety, I think you're in the wrong here.

The plain and simple truth is that many of these devices can be made at a kitchen table (picking up a used copy of an old gunsmithing book can prove that people can do gunsmithing in apartments, garages, whatever).
    It's pretty simple to make an AR fully automatic. The only thing really stopping you is really the gov and practice with some basic tools...

Any amount of government sanctioned training places an undue burden on the civilian:

Criminals commit crimes. Violent a-holes are violent a-holes. The purpose of our system is to punish people for violating the rights of others, not to babysit and put covers on every switch. Individuals are responsible for their actions. We need to stop forgetting under the guise of safety.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I mean, maybe I have a bit of fudd in me, but I do see your point.

In principle, I'm actually kind of okay with banning or at least regulating to some degree full-auto weapons, mostly because they seem (IMHO) to give a disproportionate advantage to those who hold no respect for innocent lives (or are deliberately looking to take as many innocent lives as possible.)

HOWEVER, in practice it just seems silly. There's no way you're going to ban something that can be made easily with a legal firearm plus a single simple part, that can often be made by somebody in their basement, with the right tools (or even 3d-printed, depending on the weapon.) So why deprive law-abiding citizens of them?

If you have any brilliant ideas for keeping full auto glocks out of criminal hands, though, I'm all ears. I've seen two videos that I can think of in the past year of officers getting shot (one of them killed) with full auto glocks.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    The plain and simple truth is that many of these devices can be made at a kitchen table (picking up a used copy of an old gunsmithing book can prove that people can do gunsmithing in apartments, garages, whatever).
    It's pretty simple to make an AR fully automatic. The only thing really stopping you is really the gov and practice with some basic tools...
    Exactly!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not worried that it's a likely issue to be concerned about because evil is evil regardless of the gun, make and model. The people who that particular product would appeal to who would use it for evil probably got all their gun information from movies and think they'll be an 80's movie shooting from the hip and never miss a shot.

The way I look at it may seem counter intuitive, but hear me out. If I were to get attacked by some psychotic evil person, the best case scenario for me on defense is that 1.) they don't know how to use their weapon, 2.) they miss the shots they take, 3.) They somehow take their own weapon out of the fight either through something breaking, jamming, magazine failure, out of ammo or whatever.

I don't think any knit whit out there will a full auto glock is going to place well aimed shots. I think back to the colorado movie theatre criminal and he had some cheapo drum mag and all kinds of tapco crap mounted all over the gun. He got rounds off, but the gun went down, and people got away.

Reality is, I'm more worried about an angry hill billy with his grand dads 30-06 that he's shot deer with at 300 yards, than I am some young dumb punk with a full auto pistol that'll likely jam up or miss every shot. A long time ago I said "getting shot at is one thing, getting shot is another." I'm thankful to have never been shot and given the choice, I'll always take being shot "at" rather than "hit". So, in a way, if I'm going to be attacked I kinda hope it's an idiot with every little cheap imitation bell and whistle on the gun that'll likely look like it's never been trained with. I'd be terrified of some old pissed off hill billy veteran who knows how to make shots count. Does that make sense?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

Not concerned.

Full auto anything should not be taxed or unlawful. Regardless of a giggle switch or not, it is just an inanimate tool.

You did raise a salient point however; and that is that ALL Citizens (as members of the militia [at least males]) should be receiving instruction in arms, both safety and marksmanship. Requiring such training as a component of citizenship is one of the few potential cases where the Department of Education could make themselves useful.

Mjr.Malfunction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    GOSHEN
    While I appreciate the sentiment for community safety, I think you're in the wrong here.

Any amount of government sanctioned training places an undue burden on the civilian:

Criminals commit crimes. Violent a-holes are violent a-holes. The purpose of our system is to punish people for violating the rights of others, not to babysit and put covers on every switch. Individuals are responsible for their actions. We need to stop forgetting under the guise of safety.

I think you misunderstood my post. The main point was are you concerned that you may have to go up against one? Not to tell me what I already know. The secondary point is also part of your reply. Yes anyone who really wants can make a full auto weapon, if they have the wherewithal to learn and a few tools. But a Glock switch is easy to obtain and takes little yo no knowledge to install and use.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I think you misunderstood my post. The main point was are you concerned that you may have to go up against one? Not to tell me what I already know. The secondary point is also part of your reply. Yes anyone who really wants can make a full auto weapon, if they have the wherewithal to learn and a few tools. But a Glock switch is easy to obtain and takes little yo no knowledge to install and use.
    Short answer, not really. The probability of it occurring is far less than other hazards (e.g. yesterday some idiot in a fancy car decided to roll through a stop sign into an intersection while both I and a car coming from the opp. direction were about to enter the intersection).

I don't really understand your contention with my post. In the original post, you seemed give the main point, what I thought what a rhetorical question followed with a belief, then followed with your reasoning. My post pointed out why I believing your reasoning is flawed. If your reasoning is (imo, deeply) flawed, why entertain the result of that thinking? Especially when that resultant belief contradicts the 2nd Amendment and puts an undue burden on civilians. If someone uses a Glock giggle switch then causes damage, hold that person responsible. The purpose of laws are to protect our rights. When someone violates the rights of another, that violator is punished.

Mjr.Malfunction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    GOSHEN
    Short answer, not really. The probability of it occurring is far less than other hazards (e.g. yesterday some idiot in a fancy car decided to roll through a stop sign into an intersection while both I and a car coming from the opp. direction were about to enter the intersection).

I don't really understand your contention with my post. In the original post, you seemed give the main point, what I thought what a rhetorical question followed with a belief, then followed with your reasoning. My post pointed out why I believing your reasoning is flawed. If your reasoning is (imo, deeply) flawed, why entertain the result of that thinking? Especially when that resultant belief contradicts the 2nd Amendment and puts an undue burden on civilians. If someone uses a Glock giggle switch then causes damage, hold that person responsible. The purpose of laws are to protect our rights. When someone violates the rights of another, that violator is punished.
    I respect your right to believe as you do. I just don't happen to agree.

Mjr.Malfunction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    GOSHEN
    Not concerned.

Full auto anything should not be taxed or unlawful. Regardless of a giggle switch or not, it is just an inanimate tool.

You did raise a salient point however; and that is that ALL Citizens (as members of the militia [at least males]) should be receiving instruction in arms, both safety and marksmanship. Requiring such training as a component of citizenship is one of the few potential cases where the Department of Education could make themselves useful.
    They used to teach Boy Scouts shooting and Gun Safety.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I respect your right to believe as you do. I just don't happen to agree.
    That's fine. Disagreement can be good. But if we're talking about policy making, we need to make sure we meet all the requirements before we restrict what citizens can do.

None of my arguments should be confused as not believing in gun safety training. I was taught at the age of 5. My wife and future children will be taught gun safety and respect. But the requirements set by the governement are either nominal (e.g. Ohio where even trainers there say that the requirement is insufficient see the 2nd video above) in addition to being a deterrent (e.g. LTCH applications skyrocketed when the state fees were removed), or literally an undue of civilians (again in the second video).

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Having shot a Glock 18 before (with a stock), I can tell you it would be sending shots into the ceiling (or the wall if held gangster style) right away without a stock. It was hard enough to control it with the stock. I can't imaging trying to stay on target. The thing has a cyclic rate of around 1000, and makes a happy little rainbow of brass as it runs out of ammo in about a second.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    When I start hearing about crimes committed with full auto Glocks....I still probably won't be concerned.

We had them almost daily last summer. We'd get a shots fired call and find 30-90 cases on the ground and nobody hit (although usually some houses and/or vehicles were).

To answer the original question... no. If you haven't been getting into regular shoot outs with the local ne'er-do-wells, I don't know why you would worry about it now.

Automatic weapons should be as easy to buy as any other firearm... and any other firearm should be as easy to buy as getting a candy bar from the gas station.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Having shot a Glock 18 before (with a stock), I can tell you it would be sending shots into the ceiling (or the wall if held gangster style) right away without a stock. It was hard enough to control it with the stock. I can't imaging trying to stay on target. The thing has a cycling rate of around 1000, and makes a happy little rainbow of brass as it runs out of ammo in about a second.
    These guys seem to have it figured out:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

When did constraining law-abiding people EVER affect criminals? And yeah, FUDD would be appropriate...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom