• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Girlfriend’s EDC is a 43X with the double stack mod. Currently has Hornady critical defense 115 grain.
    The 19x has the same and have a 19 coming but going critical duty 135 +P for those.
    Stick with the 115 for the 43x or something else? Obviously don’t want +p for a short barrel. Have a sub compact Springfield XD with 147 t series in it.

Thought about posting this in the ammo section but that seems more for just reloading.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While shot placement overrides about anything. I really like the non plus p 124 HST. Or the Hornady 135 plus p Critical Duty. They do what it is supposed to in about any barrel length.

That said she will probably live through the night with the 115 and Hornady is a great round again as long as the hits are there.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    She is really accurate and fast on follow up shots so was curious on what people thought could be better. I obviously don’t think it’s a bad round for a 43x… just curious is all

While shot placement overrides about anything. I really like the non plus p 124 HST. Or the Hornady 135 plus p Critical Duty. They do what it is supposed to in about any barrel length.

That said she will probably live through the night with the 115 and Hornady is a great round again as long as the hits are there.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    She is really accurate and fast on follow up shots so was curious on what people thought could be better. I obviously don’t think it’s a bad round for a 43x… just curious is all
    All of the quality rounds are good however I know of several agencies that run 124 HST and they have dropped a lot of BG’s and when I carry a 9mm I run 124 HST or 135 Critical Duty plus p

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    124 gr HST passed the entirety of the FBI protocols from short barrel through SMG barrel, it's relatively solid across a variety of velocities. They aren't alone in that regard, but if you want to run a cartridge in multiple barrel lengths that's proven, pretty cost effective, and widely available that's where I'd start.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    124 gr HST passed the entirety of the FBI protocols from short barrel through SMG barrel, it's relatively solid across a variety of velocities. They aren't alone in that regard, but if you want to run a cartridge in multiple barrel lengths that's proven, pretty cost effective, and widely available that's where I'd start.
    How did the 147gr HST do short barrel through SMG?
    That's what I use. Standard pressure. Shortest barrel I have is 3" then 4", 4.5", 16"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How did the 147gr HST do short barrel through SMG?
    That's what I use. Standard pressure. Shortest barrel I have is 3" then 4", 4.5", 16"

The +P version was marketing driven and the fps gain was less than box-to-box inconsistencies, but otherwise they were fine in either standard flavor or +P. They don't really gain anything from a 16" barrel and are actually a bit down on velocity. Still within the envelope they are designed for, though, just an interesting aside.

I don't remember what barrel length the flip from acceleration to deceleration takes place, but at some point it's just not enough powder to take advantage of any more tube. The bullet is running out of 'oomph' before it exits then being slowed by drag in the barrel as it's no longer being accelerated by the expanding gas behind it. I suspect a reasonably fast burning powder as well, helping develop 'oomph' in short barrels but hampering gains from longer barrels.

And, again, I'm sure there are other 9mm loads do just as well. Just happen to have had more exposure to HST test results when I tracked this sort of thing more closely.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The +P version was marketing driven and the fps gain was less than box-to-box inconsistencies, but otherwise they were fine in either standard flavor or +P. They don't really gain anything from a 16" barrel and are actually a bit down on velocity. Still within the envelope they are designed for, though, just an interesting aside.

I don't remember what barrel length the flip from acceleration to deceleration takes place, but at some point it's just not enough powder to take advantage of any more tube. The bullet is running out of 'oomph' before it exits then being slowed by drag in the barrel as it's no longer being accelerated by the expanding gas behind it. I suspect a reasonably fast burning powder as well, helping develop 'oomph' in short barrels but hampering gains from longer barrels.

And, again, I'm sure there are other 9mm loads do just as well. Just happen to have had more exposure to HST test results when I tracked this sort of thing more closely.
    So for Carbine stay with 124gr.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's such an insignificant difference, I'd say whichever one your gun likes better or whichever you happen to have on hand. Not something I'd dump whatever you currently have to go to the other, regardless of which direction.
    Thanks BBI.
    My Carbine likes 147gr HST, XTP, and coated FN hard cast. I usually use 147gr in all my 9mm firearms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Years ago, when I switched to Glock, BigCraig put me on 147gr HSTs for whatever sized 9mm pistols.

I've received confirmation from various LEO organization studies, on bullet/load performance. To go with bullet performance, for years the favored USPSA loading for 9mm was a 147gr bullet at power factor velocity. Best for soft shooting, light recoil recovery.

All I've ever carried in my G43, G19's and G45 is 147gr HST's. They all shoot to a very similar point of aim with a similar recoil to my hand loaded 147gr power factor competition loads.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I use 147gr HST in 3.1" barrel CM9 and 3.7" barrel P365XL. Tried Critical Defense, Critical Duty and 124gr HST. Defensive ammo is expensive ammo. Figure out what your gun(s), and you, prefer, then buy it in quantity when it is on sale.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I run HST 124 in all of my 9mm handguns, either standard or +P (whatever is on sale). I like Hornady Critical Duty 135 for my carbines/SBR. Wouldn't mind running either in any 9mm that I have, but Critical Duty 135 is probably not the best out of shorter barrels compared to HST.

miketx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2023
    Texas
    I don't have a Glock but a S&W M&P 9mm. I carry hp rounds but don't recall the brand. Don't know how good they are though cause I never had to use it thankfully.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    From Chuck Haggard. I don't know why it didn't all copy in. You can find it on Facebook.

As part of my small guns, aka “Pocket Rockets”, classes I talk about ammo selection and do a short ballistics gel shoot of examples of good and poor choices.
    The @federalpremium 124gr HST has become my preferred 9mm short gun load. It reliably expands, and penetrates more than just enough, through four layer denim/IWBA protocol, even from things like the G43, Kahr PM9, and 9mm LCR.
    I’ve not seen one fail yet.
    Recommended

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

My understanding is that 9mm max's out acceleration somewhere between 10-12" of barrel length, when powder burn burns out and the barrel begins to act as a 'drag' on acceleration, slowing the bullet down???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My understanding is that 9mm max's out acceleration somewhere between 10-12" of barrel length, when powder burn burns out and the barrel begins to act as a 'drag' on acceleration, slowing the bullet down???

That's the mechanism, yes. I just don't recall where the line on barrel length from go faster to no go faster to go slower is, generally.

A quick look at ballistics by the inch shows 16" seems to be the line for most loads across multiple guns, so that's probably a good rule of thumb? I'm not attesting to the validity of their work one way or the other, but have no reason to doubt them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That's the mechanism, yes. I just don't recall where the line on barrel length from go faster to no go faster to go slower is, generally.

A quick look at ballistics by the inch shows 16" seems to be the line for most loads across multiple guns, so that's probably a good rule of thumb? I'm not attesting to the validity of their work one way or the other, but have no reason to doubt them.
    I remember studying out the 357mag, 44mag by watching videos of different barrel lengths, using the same ammunition, and also using ballistics by the inch information. I found those magnum calibers need 7-8" barrels to get their optimal velocity.
    I also tested with my 6.5" 44mag revolver as well, and I found both video and ballistics by the inch to be close enough to get a good idea of the velocity.
    Now if you are using full power Underwood, Buffalo Bore or hand loads that's going to change velocity a lot in those tests.

Top Bottom