• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Is anyone else using the Shield Arms 9-round magazine and steel magazine release in their Glock 43 pistol?
    I just picked up a few magazines and steel magazine release on Saturday and installed them on my Glock 43.
    I'm not huge a fan of 9mm itself, but the smaller pistol set-up fits my grip quite well and is comfortable.
    I'm just curious as to how others like the set-up, how well the magazines perform, etc.?
    Can't wait to get it to a range and try it out! Stippling is a light tree bark application to give better adhesion in the grip.

CL2VL4O.jpg

faI1C8B.jpg

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have not tried the shield arms mags in the 43, but I have several s15 mags for the 43x and mine have all been 100% reliable despite mixed reviews all over the internet.

I hope they work well for you.
    The 43 is my most carried pistol so I look forward to hearing how they function.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have not tried the shield arms mags in the 43, but I have several s15 mags for the 43x and mine have all been 100% reliable despite mixed reviews all over the internet.

I hope they work well for you.
    The 43 is my most carried pistol so I look forward to hearing how they function.
    The last (9th) round loaded real 'stiff' so we'll see how they function when it comes to stripping the first round off as it cycles after the first shot?

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    Is anyone else using the Shield Arms 9-round magazine and steel magazine release in their Glock 43 pistol?
    I just picked up a few magazines and steel magazine release on Saturday and installed them on my Glock 43.
    I'm not huge a fan of 9mm itself, but the smaller pistol set-up fits my grip quite well and is comfortable.
    I'm just curious as to how others like the set-up, how well the magazines perform, etc.?
    Can't wait to get it to a range and try it out! Stippling is a light tree bark application to give better adhesion in the grip.

CL2VL4O.jpg

faI1C8B.jpg
    Question about your stippling or grooving of the grip. Is that something you did yourself or did you pay to have it done? I see you matched the base plates. Very well done. How do you feel that compares to more of the Sandpaper individual dot style stippling? Really do like the looks of it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Question about your stippling or grooving of the grip. Is that something you did yourself or did you pay to have it done? I see you matched the base plates. Very well done. How do you feel that compares to more of the Sandpaper individual dot style stippling? Really do like the looks of it!
    I did it myself...have done a few of these light tree bark stippling grips and love the way they feel like they grip your hand back as you hold on to the grip. It definitely improves grip retention (especially in warmer weather) and stability.
    I've held a few of the 'dot' style stippling jobs and did not like them as much as they felt a bit more 'rough' or 'pointy' (aka, prickly) in places whereas the light tree bark stipple doesn't leave a 'pointy' type feel to it...especially if one wears it IWB or OWB where the grip can rub against the skin.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I took the Shield Arms mags to the range and ran them through several loads, FMJ's and JHP's and only had one (1) round fail to extract out of the magazine and feed into the chamber (a 115 grain FMJ round) and, other than that one hiccup, no issues whatsoever. I tried to get it to do it again, using the same magazine (fully loaded and extracting the first round out of the magazine), and it wouldn't do it.
    Initially, they loaded fairly 'stiff' (ninth round was difficult to get into the magazine) but after a few loadings, it seeming to smooth out a bit on the ninth round going in.
    Overall, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the Shield Arms magazines.

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    I did it myself...have done a few of these light tree bark stippling grips and love the way they feel like they grip your hand back as you hold on to the grip. It definitely improves grip retention (especially in warmer weather) and stability.
    I've held a few of the 'dot' style stippling jobs and did not like them as much as they felt a bit more 'rough' or 'pointy' (aka, prickly) in places whereas the light tree bark stipple doesn't leave a 'pointy' type feel to it...especially if one wears it IWB or OWB where the grip can rub against the skin.
    You did a very nice job on that. Very consistent and even. Not overdone and very tasteful. I like the fact that it is lightly done as well and not overbearing. That's one issue I have with the dot Style is it seems like people or overdoing it and creating issues where the frame gets very dingy and dirty much too easy. Along with screwing up the grip and and general feel. If you don't mind, may I ask what exactly you used to accomplish the work you did?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You did a very nice job on that. Very consistent and even. Not overdone and very tasteful. I like the fact that it is lightly done as well and not overbearing. That's one issue I have with the dot Style is it seems like people or overdoing it and creating issues where the frame gets very dingy and dirty much too easy. Along with screwing up the grip and and general feel. If you don't mind, may I ask what exactly you used to accomplish the work you did?
    I have a stippling set, including soldering iron and multiple tips...but the fine pointed-tip is the one I use, taking care to use a light stroke and not to go too deep, making sure I blend the individual strokes for balance, and give adequate time (aka, not be in a hurry) so as not to make many mistakes, or quickly fix them when I do!
    I tape off the sections I want to stipple, then do a small peripheral area along the top, to get aligned, and then work my way down a side using multiple short strokes, mebbe 1/8" to 1/4", at a time, and then use long strokes, over the top, to blend it all together!
    I also rounded the trigger guard and stippled the front strap on that as well!
    Hope this helps;

Last edited:

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    I have a stippling set, including soldering iron and multiple tips...but the fine pointed-tip is the one I use, taking care to use a light stroke and not to go too deep, making sure I blend the individual strokes for balance, and give adequate time (aka, not be in a hurry) so as not to make many mistakes, or quickly fix them when I do!
    I tape off the sections I want to stipple, then do a small peripheral area along the top, to get aligned, and then work my way down a side using multiple short strokes, mebbe 1/8" to 1/4", at a time, and then use long strokes, over the top, to blend it all together!
    I also rounded the trigger guard and stippled the front strap on that as well!
    Hope this helps;
    Is there a general setting as far as heat that you use? Is it possible to overheat it and actually Scorch the plastic or anything like that? Never tackled it myself so I'm not really sure what to expect on that end.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

CL2VL4O.jpg

faI1C8B.jpg
    Was the installation difficult?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    You did an excellent job!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Is there a general setting as far as heat that you use? Is it possible to overheat it and actually Scorch the plastic or anything like that? Never tackled it myself so I'm not really sure what to expect on that end.
    The key is not to let the heated tip 'rest' on the polymer...always keep the touch both light and moving!
    Initially, I grabbed a used AR grip and practiced on that... several different designs, depths, texturing feels, etc...
    Didn't ruin anything but $5 and considered it an 'investment'! Learned a lot that way!

Top Bottom