• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Am thinking about obtaining a carry gun and considering : glock 42, S&W Shied, and the Ruger LC9. I've pretty much ruled out the Glock since it's only a .380. Underpowered round at best and I don't want to have to inventory a caliber I don't currently have.

Can anyone help compare/contrast the Smith and the Ruger for me based on ownership of both ?

thanks in advance

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Don't discount the 42, just because of it being a .380. With the right defense ammo and a little accuracy on your part, it'll do the job. Another option is a Springfield Armory XDS-9, it's a very small gun, somewhat comparable to the Shield or the Ruger. My EDC is the G42, I love the size, it fits comfortably in my pocket or in a Sneaky Pete holster side carry. But, if and when Glock comes out with a new 9mm compact like the 42, I'll have to switch, just because!

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    The Shield has a much better trigger than the original LC9 and the Shield's design/ergonomics results in considerably less felt recoil in my opinion.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a Shield 9 and a G-42.. Personally I prefer the Shield because of Apex trigger parts and I installed a CT laser on it. Recently got the Ghost connector installed in the 42 and it makes a big difference so I may go with the 42 since it's smaller and very low recoil impulse. As far as the 380 being "underpowered", I've yet to find someone that would offer to catch one to prove how docile the round is. IMHO, with any pistol it's about accuracy and my advice would be to shoot both of them and make your decision based on which you are more accurate with.
    Anyone that knows me knows that I normally carry something full size. I do that not because of caliber but because I found that I'm more accurate with a full size pistol.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Funny you should ask. Last week I purchased the .380 Shield. I'm a S&W kinda guy. Not a big fan of Glocks. Unlike the .40 and the 9 the .380 Bodyguard is a true double action which results in a really long trigger pull. I mean a really long trigger pull. Have I mentioned it's a really long trigger pull? A friend has the Glock 42 and I also shot it at the same time. If I had a choice between the two .380's I would go with the Glock. I've also owned the Ruger and well I for a .380 I would go with the Glock 42 right now. Glock was a little late to the .380 game but they nailed it with the 42. I would go with the Smith over the Ruger and the Glock over them both. Strictly my opinion. If your interested I've got a Bodyguard .380 for sale or trade :)

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a Shield 9 and a G-42.. Personally I prefer the Shield because of Apex trigger parts and I installed a CT laser on it. Recently got the Ghost connector installed in the 42 and it makes a big difference so I may go with the 42 since it's smaller and very low recoil impulse. As far as the 380 being "underpowered", I've yet to find someone that would offer to catch one to prove how docile the round is. IMHO, with any pistol it's about accuracy and my advice would be to shoot both of them and make your decision based on which you are more accurate with.
    Anyone that knows me knows that I normally carry something full size. I do that not because of caliber but because I found that I'm more accurate with a full size pistol.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

+1

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I want to jump in here with some Ruger Luv:wwub:
    I bought a LC9s Pro from in INGOer and, for me, it's the best out of box pistol I have tried.
    The original LC9 trigger is not pretty, it's long and has a weird reset.
    BUT, when Ruger introduced the LC9s (striker fired) pistol, they hit a home run.
    The s has a manual safety and a magazine disconnect, the s Pro does not have those two things.
    The new s trigger is really really nice.
    It's light, positive, smooth and the gun is accurate for me.
    The shield is a great little pistol, but don't count out the s model Rugers.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I have both the 42 and shield in .40 and 9. I like them all but im kind of a recoil junkie so my choice of carry is the 40. The 42 has very little recoil and is great shooting gun right out of the box. The shields are great guns too, but would recommend an apex duty/carry kit. Trigger is gritty out of the box. Never have shot the lc9 or lc9s so no input there.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    If I were looking for an amazing single stack with a great trigger And could pocket carry I'd go PM9. The glock 43 is cool but that's about it as it's just about the same size as a 26. If it was the EXACT same size as the 42 I'd be excited but it's not. I'll be staying with my PM9 or my XDS9 unless I find one for a very good deal.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    IMHO you should try a Springfield XDs as well. I've never fired an LC9 but I have tried both the XDs and the Shield. While I admit that the Shield feels a little better in the hand I turn in significantly better groups with the XDs. I also tried the Sig 938 (which also produced better groups than the Shield, but worse than the XDs). YMMV, but do yourself a favor and try to find a place where you can rent them. If you're not too far from Indy I know that Point Blank in Carmel will have them.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have owned all three and Glock 42 is my choice.Low recoil, very accurate,and carrys just fine in my front pocket with A pocket holster!

Dale1320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Brownsburg
    My wife carries a Ruger LC9S and absolutely loves it. When she goes to the range with me, I too like to talk her into letting me shoot it a few times. I agree with the others on the trigger pull of this little gem. Very smooth and enjoyable to fire. It's comforting, to me at least, to know that if she has to use it, it will perform great. Plus it is very easy to conceal.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Top Bottom