• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Uh.... no. 10mm may be capable of some heat, but not 1000ftlbs of heat, geez.
    In the end it's just a slightly more juicy service cartridge, that all sorts of mythical nonsense has been ascribed to. If you need to shoot heavy deep penetrating bullets into creatures in the woods, it's great.

It's not going to benefit you even 1% against something on 2 legs, but if it makes you feel better, have at it.

The 29 is probably the last thing I'd consider for EDC for 2 reasons. It's the large frame glock which has an obnoxiously wide slide that will be comically uncomfortably to conceal, and you're sacrificing enough barrel length that you're castrating the performance of the 10mm down to that of a 40 or below. So the entire purpose of going for that hot rodded cartridge is out of the window.

Typically 10mm pushes the same bullets 40S&W shoots about 100fps faster. Is that enough to matter? Maybe? But what are you shooting? More energy doesn't equal more better automatically. And buffalo bore, boutique ammo... Yeah, I hope that's what you use for practice because it's going to have a different POI because of the velocity difference. And it's not great for the frame of most guns, while giving you a tiny tiny amount of additional power.

Honestly, if you want to carry a 10mm, just get a 1911 in 10mm, it's going to be the easiest possible format to carry a 10mm. But in all honesty, if you're just after a hotrod you can manage to carry, get a S&W 329PD and call it a day, you'll be looking for lighter loadings rather than trying to hotrod a cartridge to its limit.
    Most I've squeezed out of mine was 777 ft lbs of energy with 155gr XTP HP 1503 fps. No signs of pressure primers looked normal. Best of all no Glock smiles since it was fired in a fully supported 1911 barrel.

1624598857859.png
    Glock Smile

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Most I've squeezed out of mine was 777 ft lbs of energy with 155gr XTP HP 1503 fps. No signs of pressure primers looked normal. Best of all no Glock smiles since it was fired in a fully supported 1911 barrel.

View attachment 145281
    Glock Smile

Another reason the 1911 is the better option.

The only downside is, if you practice with that load and don't spring the gun properly, that frame will have a very short life.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another reason the 1911 is the better option.

The only downside is, if you practice with that load and don't spring the gun properly, that frame will have a very short life.
    We will find out if I have it properly set up soon I would imagine. 1911 has supported chamber that is all I'm saying about it. Unless Glock has improved its barrels full power 10mm rds will fire in them and the brass is junk afterwards. Last one I had was a Glock 20sf which is a Gen 3. Maybe they fixed that issue since what was it 20 years ago the Gen 3 came out?

I'm not saying a 1911 is better all around I'm saying it has a fully supported chamber. If you got your feeling hurt I did not intend to do that just pointing out the obvious. I believe up thread someone was says you'll need to buy a different barrel for the Glock also. I'm just letting him know my experience with Glock 20sf.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    We will find out if I have it properly set up soon I would imagine. 1911 has supported chamber that is all I'm saying about it. Unless Glock has improved its barrels full power 10mm rds will fire in them and the brass is junk afterwards. Last one I had was a Glock 20sf which is a Gen 3. Maybe they fixed that issue since what was it 20 years ago the Gen 3 came out?

I'm not saying a 1911 is better all around I'm saying it has a fully supported chamber. If you got your feeling hurt I did not intend to do that just pointing out the obvious. I believe up thread someone was says you'll need to buy a different barrel for the Glock also. I'm just letting him know my experience with Glock 20sf.

No, I'm just saying any steel frame gun will have a harder time with the pounding a hotrodded cartridge will put on it. Polymer frames are more forgiving of the abuse.

And if you spring a glock a bit higher, it can reduce the smiley a little bit, but if you're a reloader then yeah I'd opt for a KKM barrel or the like. Either way the recoil spring for a properly hot 10mm is about 23-25lbs in a 1911. That can be a bit obnoxious to operate on a regular basis unless you have pretty sharp serrations. But the 1911 makes a MUCH more reasonable CCW than a 45/10mm format glock.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    No, I'm just saying any steel frame gun will have a harder time with the pounding a hotrodded cartridge will put on it. Polymer frames are more forgiving of the abuse.

And if you spring a glock a bit higher, it can reduce the smiley a little bit, but if you're a reloader then yeah I'd opt for a KKM barrel or the like. Either way the recoil spring for a properly hot 10mm is about 23-25lbs in a 1911. That can be a bit obnoxious to operate on a regular basis unless you have pretty sharp serrations. But the 1911 makes a MUCH more reasonable CCW than a 45/10mm format glock.
    1911 is great for nostalgia, but as everyone knows handguns are a compromise in one way or another. In today's world I prefer a lighter CCW with more capacity and that for me is logical.

In the end carry what you want and train with it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I've got a 24lb WC recoil spring in it a 25lb WC main spring, and a WC square bottom firing pin stop. My Glock 20sf I had a 22lb recoil spring in it. I probably should have went with a 24lb for it as well. I'm also using the SHOK-BUFF from WC. A competition shooter at my club recommended them.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

The Glock 29 10mm I carried some years back and still do sometimes, I replaced the OEM barrel with a Storm Lake barrel, which was what was available at the time without having to wait months for.
    It's easier on the brass, plus I saw a test and it gave a little better muzzle velocity too.
    And the one I have is as dependable as the OEM barrel.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    In the end it's just a slightly more juicy service cartridge, that all sorts of mythical nonsense has been ascribed to. If you need to shoot heavy deep penetrating bullets into creatures in the woods, it's great.

It's not going to benefit you even 1% against something on 2 legs, but if it makes you feel better, have at it.

The 29 is probably the last thing I'd consider for EDC for 2 reasons. It's the large frame glock which has an obnoxiously wide slide that will be comically uncomfortably to conceal, and you're sacrificing enough barrel length that you're castrating the performance of the 10mm down to that of a 40 or below. So the entire purpose of going for that hot rodded cartridge is out of the window.

Typically 10mm pushes the same bullets 40S&W shoots about 100fps faster. Is that enough to matter? Maybe? But what are you shooting? More energy doesn't equal more better automatically. And buffalo bore, boutique ammo... Yeah, I hope that's what you use for practice because it's going to have a different POI because of the velocity difference. And it's not great for the frame of most guns, while giving you a tiny tiny amount of additional power.

Honestly, if you want to carry a 10mm, just get a 1911 in 10mm, it's going to be the easiest possible format to carry a 10mm. But in all honesty, if you're just after a hotrod you can manage to carry, get a S&W 329PD and call it a day, you'll be looking for lighter loadings rather than trying to hotrod a cartridge to its limit.
    Very good post... Thank you for the time and info. That pretty much sums it up. Taking all things into consideration it's pretty easy to come to a decision.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I've got a 24lb WC recoil spring in it a 25lb WC main spring, and a WC square bottom firing pin stop. My Glock 20sf I had a 22lb recoil spring in it. I probably should have went with a 24lb for it as well. I'm also using the SHOK-BUFF from WC. A competition shooter at my club recommended them.
    I run WC Shok-buff on everything I can

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

We'll just have to disagree, which is OK with me.

When I carry my Glock 29, yes it's a Glock, is chunky, leaves things to be desired, but I have no trouble concealing it.
    And it's definitely more concealable with more round capacity than an even wider, longer (and MUCH more expensive) S&W 329PD.
    And regardless of statistical averages, in the case of multiple attackers, 6 shots may not be enough.

A .40 SW with the SAME barrel length as the Glock 29 will have it's muzzle velocity shooting the same .40/10mm bullet "castrated" too.
    So if anything, the hotter loaded 10mm round will make up for the shorter barrel of a smaller pistol shooting the same weight bullet to a degree.

Even with the shorter 3.78 inch barrel of the Glock 29, I've seen crono tests of Underwood 155 grain (which I carry) at 1427 fps muzzle velocity.
    155 grain .40 SW with the SAME length barrel doesn't come within 100fps of this.

Each to their own, but I'd rather have the MOST muzzle velocity from a given bullet weight and smaller pistol size I can get.
    Because if I have to shoot through something to hit an attacker, I would like every chance of being successful.
    And even 200fps more muzzle velocity could make a difference.
    YMMV

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Even with the shorter 3.78 inch barrel of the Glock 29, I've seen crono tests of Underwood 155 grain (which I carry) at well into the 1300's fps muzzle velocity.
    155 grains at 1300 fps is 582 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. A Federal HST 155 grain out of a Glock 23 is aroud 1150 fps for around 455 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy, so not exactly a world of difference. I'd rather have the slimmer Glock 23 and extra 3 rounds. I'm not sure muzzle energy really gets you anything against 2 legged predators unless you get up into rifle velocities, which a 10mm is simply not going to do. Neither 9mm nor 40 S&W have any problem penetrating, and when they do, it's about bullet construction and not velocity/muzzle energy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    More energy doesn't equal more better automatically.

You know how cigarettes have a surgeon general's warning? That should be on ammunition boxes. :D

Energy is just the capacity to do work. It doesn't tell you what that work will be. It could be as simple as making the bullet harder to it takes more energy to make it expand. That can be good, soft lead expands easier (needs less energy) but isn't very barrier blind. Once you're into the barrier blind with sufficient penetration range, which *any common duty caliber has available cartridges to meet the requirements of* you're gaining nothing. The chasing of energy numbers leads to some pretty stupid offerings on the market, bullets that can't stay together so they actually penetrate less, etc. But big numbers are impressive, so they sell. Not to institutions that kill a lot of people with handguns, though, which may be telling.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    You know how cigarettes have a surgeon general's warning? That should be on ammunition boxes. :D

Energy is just the capacity to do work. It doesn't tell you what that work will be. It could be as simple as making the bullet harder to it takes more energy to make it expand. That can be good, soft lead expands easier (needs less energy) but isn't very barrier blind. Once you're into the barrier blind with sufficient penetration range, which *any common duty caliber has available cartridges to meet the requirements of* you're gaining nothing. The chasing of energy numbers leads to some pretty stupid offerings on the market, bullets that can't stay together so they actually penetrate less, etc. But big numbers are impressive, so they sell. Not to institutions that kill a lot of people with handguns, though, which may be telling.
    Man I love this website! It's an abundance of info and opinions! AWESOME!!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    155 grains at 1300 fps is 582 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. A Federal HST 155 grain out of a Glock 23 is aroud 1150 fps for around 455 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy, so not exactly a world of difference. I'd rather have the slimmer Glock 23 and extra 3 rounds. I'm not sure muzzle energy really gets you anything against 2 legged predators unless you get up into rifle velocities, which a 10mm is simply not going to do. Neither 9mm nor 40 S&W have any problem penetrating, and when they do, it's about bullet construction and not velocity/muzzle energy.
    I did make a mistake in the muzzle velocity.

I went back and looked at the test with a Glock 29 and Underwood 155 grain bullets.
    It had been some time since I saw it and I remembered it WRONG (I will go back and correct my post).
    It actually crono tested with a 3 shot average of 1427fps muzzle velocity.
    Which is an energy of 700+ foot pounds of energy.

And with the Glock 23 having a longer barrel. the Glock 29 with the shorter barrel is still 270+ fps higher muzzle velocity, and 245 Foot Pounds more per shot.
    Which means more to me than two more shots in the standard magazine.

As to concealability, for me the Glock 23 is no more concealable than the Glock 29.
    I got both out and tested it to be sure I remember right.

In fact, the Glock 29 being a little shorter in length and height, fits in my pocket a little better as far as sticking out, and the 1/10th of an inch thicker G29 makes little difference for me.

Again, we'll just have to disagree.
    LET me add, my main point is a Glock 29 is a credible and capable choice for a concealed weapon.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Yep, 100%, which is why I said that energy is really only a benefit on large animals.

If you're aiming for deep penetration with hard casts, that energy just keeps compounding into better and better results. But a 2 legged target doesn't need that kind of penetration, so all the extra work the bullet is capable of will just be wasted out the back side.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    We'll just have to disagree, which is OK with me.

When I carry my Glock 29, yes it's a Glock, is chunky, leaves things to be desired, but I have no trouble concealing it.
    And it's definitely more concealable with more round capacity than an even wider, longer (and MUCH more expensive) S&W 329PD.
    And regardless of statistical averages, in the case of multiple attackers, 6 shots may not be enough.

A .40 SW with the SAME barrel length as the Glock 29 will have it's muzzle velocity shooting the same .40/10mm bullet "castrated" too.
    So if anything, the hotter loaded 10mm round will make up for the shorter barrel of a smaller pistol shooting the same weight bullet to a degree.

Even with the shorter 3.78 inch barrel of the Glock 29, I've seen crono tests of Underwood 155 grain (which I carry) at 1427 fps muzzle velocity.
    155 grain .40 SW with the SAME length barrel doesn't come within 100fps of this.

Each to their own, but I'd rather have the MOST muzzle velocity from a given bullet weight and smaller pistol size I can get.
    Because if I have to shoot through something to hit an attacker, I would like every chance of being successful.
    And even 200fps more muzzle velocity could make a difference.
    YMMV

Have you tested it on barriers and in some mediums?
    That bullet was designed for a 40S&W velocities and has a very soft core. I would be surprised if it survived barriers or met minimum penetration standards.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep, 100%, which is why I said that energy is really only a benefit on large animals.

If you're aiming for deep penetration with hard casts, that energy just keeps compounding into better and better results. But a 2 legged target doesn't need that kind of penetration, so all the extra work the bullet is capable of will just be wasted out the back side.
    It's just me.
    I've always preferred and had more faith in high velocity rounds from the beginning going back into the 70's when I first learned to shoot with a .357 Magnum 4" Barrel.

So it's not surprising that today having moved away from revolvers for the most part, my favorite semi-auto defensive loads today are hot loaded .357 Sig and 10mm.
    You're free to have other preferences.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a G29sf 8 to 10 years ago and it was a neat gun. I ended up selling it when I did the math and it didn't add up for me. It was thicker than my G23, held less ammo, was harder to shoot well with full power ammo and and offered no real advantage that I could see. At the time, no bullets were designed for those energy levels that were commonly available and the .40 bullets tended to break up when over driven.

As neat as it was, it just didn't make sense for me to carry it when I liked the G23 more and shot it better. Bullet technology has changed over the years but you still don't see 10mm optimized bullets much.

Top Bottom