• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes it is ! I have had conversions barrels for G35, 22, 23, & 32 and have only swapped out the barrel and mag... have never had the first malfunction ! I know many do recommend swappping out the ejector for added reliability though...

Last I knew, A Lone Wolf barrel runs about $100.00 new. Be sure to buy a CONVERSION barrel for a G23/G32 and NOT a 9mm barrel for a G19... They are different and the latter would not work...

You will also need a 9mm mag... If you want a flush fitting mag, you'd want the G19 mag... Any of the Glock 9mm mags would work except the G26...

You didn't ask, but you could also run a G32 barrel ( .357 ) in it without switching a thing , including the mag.... :D

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There are multiple manufacturers that make .40-9mm conversion barrels for Glocks. You would have to use 9mm mags and sometimes you have to swap out to a 9mm extractor for 100% reliability.

Check out Lone Wolf and Storm Lake

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Is this for defensive carry, or just for range use?

If for defensive carry, you'd need to change the extractor and ejector and use a 9mm conversion barrel and standard 9mm magazines.

If it's just to shoot cheaper 9mm ammo in your 40 for range use, you can get by with just a conversion barrel and standard 9mm mags. Actually, I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my 23 that has been 100% reliable with every 9mm load I have tried, so some people say you don't even need the 9mm specific extractor and ejector.

A conversion barrel is about $120 - $150 or so. Mags are $20 each or so, depending on where you find them. Glock parts are cheap if you feel the need to change the extractor and trigger assembly/ejector. You could set it all up for less than $200, easy.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Storm lake carries the conversion barrels, they work great from what I hear.

Glockmeister.com has them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The reason folks are saying that you need a CONVERSION barrel:

The diameter of the hole in the slide on the .40S&W gun is larger diameter than the 9mm version...

The conversion barrel will have the same external dimensions as the factory barrel and, therefore, fit correctly in a .40 slide. The same will not be the case with the slightly smaller external dimensions of the 9mm barrel.

-J-

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The reason folks are saying that you need a CONVERSION barrel:

The diameter of the hole in the slide on the .40S&W gun is larger diameter than the 9mm version...

The conversion barrel will have the same external dimensions as the factory barrel and, therefore, fit correctly in a .40 slide. The same will not be the case with the slightly smaller external dimensions of the 9mm barrel.

-J-

And a loose rattling barrel might adversely affect accuracy. :oldwise:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And a loose rattling barrel might adversely affect accuracy. :oldwise:

could be.

Or it could be that it just wouldn't lock up properly...or act right upon recoil. :D

We all know that Glocks are all just ticking time bombs. No need to further tempt fate, ya know?

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    If for defensive carry, you'd need to change the extractor and ejector and use a 9mm conversion barrel and standard 9mm magazines.
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I used a conversion barrel in my 23 for awhile, and while mine was pretty reliable, I would never suggest carrying with that combination. The breechface for .40 is larger than that for 9mm, which means the extractor may slip off the case. If you are going to carry 9mm, get a G19 slide and ejector. Otherwise, just the conversion barrel and mags should be reliable enough for range use.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I used a conversion barrel in my 23 for awhile, and while mine was pretty reliable, I would never suggest carrying with that combination. The breechface for .40 is larger than that for 9mm, which means the extractor may slip off the case. If you are going to carry 9mm, get a G19 slide and ejector. Otherwise, just the conversion barrel and mags should be reliable enough for range use.

That's probably right. I wouldn't carry anything for defensive use but a gun manufactured in the particular caliber that I want, but you probably could get away with it. Depends on how much of a gambler one is. :)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    OK We have got to lay this to rest.
    From what I understand, the conversion barrel is bored ever so slightly off center.
    It does not affect the point of impact since the whole bore is off center from one end to the other.
    What that does is put the extractor FIRMLY into the case because the center of the bore is in the same relationship to the extractor.
    The barrel companies have tested this to death
    There is no benefit whatsoever from putting a 9mm extractor in a G23.
    It actually does not even make sense, because the claw on the extractor is not any bigger for a 9mm than for a 40.
    If anything the 40 extractor is bigger.

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Even though you can shoot 9mm in a G23 with a conversion barrel, I am not a fan of doing so. To be honest, I really dont see the need.

You will definitely take a reliability hit and therefore the practice is NOT recommended for duty/self defense use. You would probably have some court liability issues as well in the case of a self defense incident. I wouldn't recommend doing it for competition either for a number of reasons. With all that said, ammo costs are similar between 9mm and .40 and if you know where to get ammo it's not going to make much difference.

In the long run, it's much more ideal to just purchase a G19 OR buy the parts you need to ACTUALLY convert your G23 to 9mm. You can switch back and forth in a matter of 60 seconds by having the extra 9mm slide and ejector/trigger housing.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Even though you can shoot 9mm in a G23 with a conversion barrel, I am not a fan of doing so. To be honest, I really dont see the need.

You will definitely take a reliability hit and therefore the practice is NOT recommended for duty/self defense use. You would probably have some court liability issues as well in the case of a self defense incident. I wouldn't recommend doing it for competition either for a number of reasons. With all that said, ammo costs are similar between 9mm and .40 and if you know where to get ammo it's not going to make much difference.

In the long run, it's much more ideal to just purchase a G19 OR buy the parts you need to ACTUALLY convert your G23 to 9mm. You can switch back and forth in a matter of 60 seconds by having the extra 9mm slide and ejector/trigger housing.

Say what? :dunno:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel in my Glock 23. I have only had it on the range once. Had 1 failure to extract in 50 rounds. Fine for range use but not for carry. Overall the barrel works good and is accurate. Well worth the investment to be able to shoot another caliber.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    OK We have got to lay this to rest.
    From what I understand, the conversion barrel is bored ever so slightly off center.
    It does not affect the point of impact since the whole bore is off center from one end to the other.
    What that does is put the extractor FIRMLY into the case because the center of the bore is in the same relationship to the extractor.
    The barrel companies have tested this to death
    There is no benefit whatsoever from putting a 9mm extractor in a G23.
    It actually does not even make sense, because the claw on the extractor is not any bigger for a 9mm than for a 40.
    If anything the 40 extractor is bigger.
    ? Did you mean to quote me? I never said put a 9mm extractor in; what I did say is use a G19 SLIDE, which will have the correct breechface for 9mm. I did use a 9mm barrel in a G23, and even though it may be designed to be as reliable as possible with the G23 parts, I did have a double feed or two as a result of a breechface that was too large for 9mm.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I say just do it. I put a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion in my 35 and love it. The cost is a tad over $100 and takes all of 30 seconds to put the new barrel in. Surely, you've blown $100 on dumber stuff haven't you? I know I have.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The breechface for .40 is larger than that for 9mm, which means the extractor may slip off the case.
    This is the part I took exception to.

I don't disagree with a new slide and barrel.
    However, with a conversion barrel made specifically for a 40 to 9mm, the bore of the barrel should be off center toward the extractor enough to make up the difference. The claw of the extractor should not slip off because of the difference in sizes.

Hey, I agree with the points that have been made about conversions.
    You are taking a barrel that is not actually fitted to a gun and trying to make it work.
    Things happen that no one expected.
    Conversions can be very reliable and can be not so reliable.
    But there are a lot of variables and the 40 being larger than the 9mm always gets the blame.
    When, actually, the designers accounted for the difference in size of the two rounds.
    That's all.
    No offense intended.

Top Bottom