• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I did a little looking for the number of LEOs killed and how, here is what I found.

During 2007, for the 10th year in a row, more law enforcement officers died in traffic-related incidents than in shootings.

This is only auto or gun, more than this died each year. :(

2006 auto 74 shot 54
    2007 auto 83 shot 68
    2008 auto 71 shot 39
    2009 auto 51 shot 49
    2010 auto 72 shot 61

So it looks like they need to stop pulling people over on the side of the road so they will be safe.

All this can be found here.
    National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Latest Memorial Fund Research Bulletin

I don't agree with the interaction, but your statistic are misleading, because they don't tell the whole story.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The OP reminds me of a case a few years back in my neck o' the woods. (Grandpa story following...)

Trooper stops a vehicle late at night for erratic driving. Pulls driver over. Finds baggies full of oxycodone, hydrocodone and adderal in the center console. Then the driver admits has an unlicensed handgun under the driver's seat. Loaded as I recall.

Pat down and cuffs.

Trooper seizes drugs. Locks vehicle, with handgun still under seat, and leaves vehicle at the side of the road. Driver off to jail and booked, charged with three counts possession of a controlled substance and possession of handgun w/o license.

Guess what evidence was never, ever recovered before trial? Guess what charge was dismissed before trial? :rolleyes:

Everyone was polite, defendant and the trooper. +1 to both

Fortunately there were no BB guns involved, or 6-year-old girls present.
    :coffee:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How are they misleading?

The stats don't take into effect how many officers are shot, only those that have been killed. With the introduction of body armor, better tactics, and advances in medicine that number would be much higher if those things didn't exist. Kinda like how far less soldiers have been killed overseas, in the sandbox, in comparison to similar sample of soldiers in Vietnam.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    How are they misleading?
    Also, some cities are MUCH more likely to get shot at that others. The stats don't list that. Some departments will never have a shooting or an officer shot. I have had a couple of friends killed by gun fire here and several wounded and many more shot at...some were hit but their vests stopped it and some missed.

Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    I'm just curious as to what road the OP was driving on. Was it a narrow curvy one that is impossible to navigate without crossing center line? Threadjack in 3,2,1...... Last time I took the back way from West Point to Riverside , I almost ran over a Trooper. I rounded a blind curve, to find a car in the middle of the road with it's lights off. When I swerved to go around it, I saw a frightened man in uniform, standing next to the drivers door, urinating in public. After the initial shock wore off, I had to chuckle.

I was on 300E between Brookston and Monticello. Not curvy at all pretty much a straight rd the whole time.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The reps and PMs I have received with people calling you a moron leads me to believe that I am not alone. If Reps and PM's from faceless avatars on the internet make you feel loved and part of a group, I will try to give you more attention so you can get more reps.

Instead of saying this:

Why wouldn't he mention the fact that he wasn't in uniform because the "cop" was a kid at the time? Wow, you finally figured it out AFTER everyone told you. Pure genius at work here. Sorry, I am not as easily impressed as your Avatar buddies were.

You were young enough to think BB gun fights are fun but old enough to smoke pot and drink beer? I never said I did any of that, I said it was the 70's. When was the last time you heard of a donkey show in Indiana?
    This is why you are not a cop or a rocket scientist, by the time you ever solved a mystery of any kind, the serial killer would be retired and his grandkids doing it in his place.

My post was directed right at Ryan, not you. Did you even notice his mention of Carroll County in his avatar? Based on previous pots I am going to have to say no you didn't.

The armchair LEO bashing is always a riot. Most of the "Avatar People" who bash in here, in real life would **** their pants if the LEO pointed an ink pen at them. The OP had a positive experience with an LEO. Most in here don't know what a really bad one looks like. Bad LEO's don't tend to hang out in public forums like this one, where they can get bashed.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Which part of the stop warrants a +1? The warning?

Did you actually cross the center line twice?

My thought exactly.

Realizing that you were not intoxicated, most officers would have simply given you a verbal warning, and allowed you to be on your way. It looks to me that your ordeal involved a prolonged detention, an undue investigation of your legally owned firearm, and an embarrassing perp walk outside of your vehicle... All of this because you have a state issued LTCH.

I have been pulled over a total of three times while carrying a firearm. In all three interactions, I informed the officer that I had my firearm while handing over my LTCH and license, and I never once had to exit my vehicle or hand over my firearm. The end result of these interactions was two warnings and one ticket, and a cordial interaction with each officer.

I am not in the habit of bashing cops, as my grandfather, uncle and son are cops. Nothing that the officer did in this interaction deserves a bashing, but nothing the officer did deserves a pat on the back either. (As described by the OP)

+1 the ISP officer if you feel the need, but +1 would not be my reaction.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The reps and PMs I have received with people calling you a moron leads me to believe that I am not alone.
    PS Between you and your friends, probably 2 million posts in a GUN related web site and you still don't know what a skip shot is?

Hint: If you google it, I am not talking about Water Polo or video games.

Second hint: Spend less time posting and more time shooting.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    Tonight on my way home I was traveling down a back county rd when lights came on behind me. I pull over to the shoulder roll down my window keeping both hands on the wheel since my EDC is tucked half under the arm rest of my truck. State officer comes up and asks for my license, of course it's under my military ID and my carry license. He asked if I had my weapon on me where I informed him with my hands on the wheel again where it was located. He asked me to step out and go stand by the tailgate. Once he retrieved my weapon he asked for my registration and went to his car. A few min later he came back with a warning saying they were pulling over everyone who could be drinking and driving, I had crossed the center line twice, handed me back my pistol and magazine. The whole encounter with him was as professional as I have ever seen. After some of the things I have seen on here I was a little worried but he acted as if was nothing at all. So again thank you ISP for your professionalism!

If I am not mistaken there once was a group formed in Germany that traveled the land. They were a very professional lot who would also stop people who could be doing something wrong.Often they would ask people for their papers, and even retrieved their weapons.
    Yes they had many professional encounters with many people from different lands. They helped lots of people with transportation on trains to places were they could camp.Some of these people were a little worried but they were guided into cattle cars by men who acted as if it were nothing at all.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So did he hand back the round that was in the chamber? As you said it was unloaded when you got it back and I'm assuming you keep your magazine full. How did that conversation go, here's your legally owned and carried firearm that i have unloaded along with your mag and oh yeah.... your +1?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    PS Between you and your friends, probably 2 million posts in a GUN related web site and you still don't know what a skip shot is?

Hint: If you google it, I am not talking about Water Polo or video games.

Second hint: Spend less time posting and more time shooting.

I never said I didn't know what a skip shot is. I give you mad props for you BB skillz though.

I shot one once so its personal. He was Carroll, now he is Cass (or Logan) all the same to me.

It is not like he was in uniform.

LOL, you shot a ****ing KID, not an officer. Just because he became an officer later in life doesn't mean a damn thing.:n00b:

Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    So did he hand back the round that was in the chamber? As you said it was unloaded when you got it back and I'm assuming you keep your magazine full. How did that conversation go, here's your legally owned and carried firearm that i have unloaded along with your mag and oh yeah.... your +1?

Actually as an Infantry guy I have never keep a full magazine in the 17 years I have been in, I have a 10 round magazine with 9 +1 in the chamber, when he handed it back all 10 were in the mag.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I guess I don't really see the issue. Yes he removed it from my truck, of which I don't mind I see it as a safety call on the officer. Then he returned to me unloaded. Do you hand your weapon to anyone loaded? First thing you do is remove the magazine and clear it prior to letting someone handle it. So why would an officer do anything less?

If the LEO had you step back to your tailgate, why was there a need for him to go into your vehicle to retrieve your weapon? If all they were doing was checking for DUI's?

Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    If the LEO had you step back to your tailgate, why was there a need for him to go into your vehicle to retrieve your weapon? If all they were doing was checking for DUI's?

I will take a guess at why. Because he didn't make me stand outside of my vehicle while running my info on the side of a narrow road in the middle of the night, which I would have been slightly upset about regardless of how flat the land is or how bright his lights are I would rather be inside my vehicle than exposed to the potential of some other idiot drinking and driving or texting or who knows what and crushing me between two vehicles.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I will take a guess at why. Because he didn't make me stand outside of my vehicle while running my info on the side of a narrow road in the middle of the night, which I would have been slightly upset about regardless of how flat the land is or how bright his lights are I would rather be inside my vehicle than exposed to the potential of some other idiot drinking and driving or texting or who knows what and crushing me between two vehicles.

Why couldn't he have you sit in the back of his vehicle?

If he was that worried about "safety" he could have waited to pull you over when there was a safer place to stop.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Personally I'm kinda torn both ways with an officer taking your firearm during a stop. I served as a Police Officer in Ohio but I don't know if Indiana views a Traffic stop the same way Ohio does so maybe a LEO can help tell me if Indiana is the same.

In Ohio a traffic stop is consider to be an "Arrest". You allegedly broke a law and now you are being summons into court to answer for what you did. Granted most traffic violations you don't serve jail time for but it technically still a crime. Since when do Police Officers let someone keep a weapon that has just committed a crime? In a situation like this, I really don't see an issue with an Officer taking the weapon for "Officer Safety". Especially as angry as some people get after getting a citation.

On the other hand, if an Officer wants to take your firearm so he can "run the numbers to see if it's stolen" without probable cause is WRONG. Just because you have a firearm on you is NOT probable cause to run the numbers to see if it's stolen.

10-32 calls aka Man with a Gun is another time Police Officers should not take a firearm from a person. The Officer has no probable cause the person with a firearm has broken any laws just because he is carrying a firearm(assuming you are not someplace where it is illegal to carry). Police don't stop every person driving a car to check if the operator is properly license and insured. Why should they be stopping people carrying a gun? Cars kill more people than guns. Owning and carrying a firearm is a RIGHT where as being able to drive is a PRIVGLIGE. I just beleive a License to Carry a Handgun is NOT a license to be detained and searched.

Top Bottom