• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    Tonight on my way home I was traveling down a back county rd when lights came on behind me. I pull over to the shoulder roll down my window keeping both hands on the wheel since my EDC is tucked half under the arm rest of my truck. State officer comes up and asks for my license, of course it's under my military ID and my carry license. He asked if I had my weapon on me where I informed him with my hands on the wheel again where it was located. He asked me to step out and go stand by the tailgate. Once he retrieved my weapon he asked for my registration and went to his car. A few min later he came back with a warning saying they were pulling over everyone who could be drinking and driving, I had crossed the center line twice, handed me back my pistol and magazine. The whole encounter with him was as professional as I have ever seen. After some of the things I have seen on here I was a little worried but he acted as if was nothing at all. So again thank you ISP for your professionalism!

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Polite, but took your legally owned personal property from you, altered it, then gave it back. But he was polite...... hmmmm. I dunno. I guess all is well that ends well, and maybe it is legal (?), but I don't think I like it.

Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    I guess I don't really see the issue. Yes he removed it from my truck, of which I don't mind I see it as a safety call on the officer. Then he returned to me unloaded. Do you hand your weapon to anyone loaded? First thing you do is remove the magazine and clear it prior to letting someone handle it. So why would an officer do anything less?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Yeah, I'm wondering if we're obligated to inform law enforcement if we are carrying. I did when stopped for speeding by the ISP on Hwy 62 near Jeffersonville and went through essentially the same treatment with my Ruger SP101 - but he made me unload the revolver and give him my bullets first and then the gun (the other difference is that I got a well deserved speeding ticket). At a subsequent stop I did not reveal that there was a pistol in my auto. (This was before I learned that going near the speed limit resulted in limited interaction with the law).

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I guess I don't really see the issue. Yes he removed it from my truck, of which I don't mind I see it as a safety call on the officer. Then he returned to me unloaded. Do you hand your weapon to anyone loaded? First thing you do is remove the magazine and clear it prior to letting someone handle it. So why would an officer do anything less?

Personally, I would rather the officer take my identification, proof of insurance, and LTCH (since you informed him), and then go back to his car and do his business and come back and return my paperwork. Pulling a loaded handgun out of a vehicle or off of my person on the side of a road doesn't sound very safe to me. Clearing that loaded weapon on the side of the road or in his cruiser sounds even less safe.

Some folks are perfectly fine being disarmed during stops. I'm just not one of them.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Sure mom, Uncle Chester is a nice guy. He touches me sometimes, but he is always polite when he does it.

^^Would you give props if someone was violated in any other way?

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Yeah, I'm wondering if we're obligated to inform law enforcement if we are carrying. I did when stopped for speeding by the ISP on Hwy 62 near Jeffersonville and went through essentially the same treatment with my Ruger SP101 - but he made me unload the revolver and give him my bullets first and then the gun (the other difference is that I got a well deserved speeding ticket). At a subsequent stop I did not reveal that there was a pistol in my auto. (This was before I learned that going near the speed limit resulted in limited interaction with the law).

In the State of Indiana, we have no duty to inform like some other states.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Tonight on my way home I was traveling down a back county rd when lights came on behind me. I pull over to the shoulder roll down my window keeping both hands on the wheel since my EDC is tucked half under the arm rest of my truck. State officer comes up and asks for my license, of course it's under my military ID and my carry license. He asked if I had my weapon on me where I informed him with my hands on the wheel again where it was located. He asked me to step out and go stand by the tailgate. Once he retrieved my weapon he asked for my registration and went to his car. A few min later he came back with a warning saying they were pulling over everyone who could be drinking and driving, I had crossed the center line twice, handed me back my pistol and magazine. The whole encounter with him was as professional as I have ever seen. After some of the things I have seen on here I was a little worried but he acted as if was nothing at all. So again thank you ISP for your professionalism!
    Crossed the center line twice? How long was he following you? Did he do any field sobriety tests or ask if you had been drinking (or using controlled substances)?
    He simply took your weapon, went to his commission and then returned, and magically knew you weren't impaired, because?

They're pulling over everyone who "could" be drinking and driving?

Smell test... (not the odor of impurities commonly associated with alcoholic beverages)?

On what basis did he seize your firearm? :dunno:

Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    I wouldn't hand my primary defense weapon to anyone, but that's just me.

So your at the range, someone or even your buddy shooting next to you asks to see the difference between A pistol vs. B pistol your going to tell him ask someone else? I see people on here recommending that exact thing all the time when "which gun should I get" topic comes up.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    So your at the range, someone or even your buddy shooting next to you asks to see the difference between A pistol vs. B pistol your going to tell him ask someone else? I see people on here recommending that exact thing all the time when "which gun should I get" topic comes up.

Not wanting to give you a hard time, but that is not the real point here????

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I'm at the range, I'm not firing my primary defense weapon. I usually carry a USP. If I'm shooting that, I'll carry a different gun to the range.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Same old thing, everyone bit...s about law enforcement. Does the cop know you? I dont know you, I wont trust you with a gun till I do know you and have seen your gun handling abilities. It is officer saftey, if you dont like it, dont get pulled over, dont criticize till youve walked in thier shoes. And if you thinks it is not officer saftey ask one of the ISP officers who lost one of thier own outside Wabash a few years ago, stopping on US 24 checking on what was believed to be a stranded motorist. Flame away but I have been on both sides! And yes there are cops that dont have the best gun handling practices either, but at the time you are detained and it is thier rules.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    double-facepalm.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So, I have to assume you're trustworthy? That pesky fourth amendment. An officer can seize my weapon if he feels I'm dangerous. IC 35-47-14 is very clear on when he can take my weapon without a warrant.

Top Bottom