• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Alright, let me get this straight. 1) Girl w/ no arms or legs tries out for cheerleading. 2) Said girl with no arms or legs doesn;t get cheerleading spot. 3) Armless/legless girl and family upset that she did nto make the team. 4) Armless/legless girl and family suing school distract. Right on these facts.

You don't get it, you really don't. The parents did NOT want to sue nor make a big deal about it. But when the third year went by and she failed, all they asked was the criteria to make the team.

True, she could not jump, but did you notice that she had taken 10 YEARS of dancing lessons? She was giving 100% of what she had and ALL she wanted to do was CONTRIBUTE.

Have you ever heard of the "Make a Wish Foundation"? Think of it like that.

What harm would it be to let her be a part of the team, to cheer, to ask the crowd to cheer? Don't most teams have 'honorary' teams members that their 'special' fellow classmates can be involved in?

And in the case of 10 members with 15 trying out, would the 11th spot being given to the 'special' person **** the parents off of the other 4? I say GOOD because if it did they have no humanity.

I am really shocked at some of these replies..

My daughter did not make the squad this year, she was heartbroken but she got over it and moved on. But I bet you one thing, if my daughter had made it and she was asked to give her spot up for this girl, she would have gladly done so.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Seems like a girl with no arms or legs would be very aware that life is not always fair. and she expects cheerleader tryouts to be fair :dunno:

Its not about being fair, it about being kind to your fellow human being that was not dealt as good a hand as you were. Sometimes in life we make special exceptions to rules that were made for the grand majority of us.

It called being human.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Its not about being fair, it about being kind to your fellow human being that was not dealt as good a hand as you were. Sometimes in life we make special exceptions to rules that were made for the grand majority of us.

***Sits back and waits for terrible analogies trying to prove this statement wrong***

It called being human.

Apparently this is a tough pill to swallow for some.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    No, your fat ass can go join a gym and quit eating so much...What can this girl join to grow some arms and legs?

Will power can fix you
    Actually anyone who has met me wouldn't call me fat. I was just using that as an example. Edited this part.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Seems like a girl with no arms or legs would be very aware that life is not always fair. and she expects cheerleader tryouts to be fair :dunno:

The nerve of her parents to teach her the desire to achieve. They should have just set her in the corner and put a lamp shade on her. To me, it's not always about the final result, it's also abut the effort put into it. This girl didn't have the mindset that she could just show up to tryouts and get a sympathy spot on the team. She tried to the best of her ability to earn a spot. I have more respect for a less talented person who gives it 110% every time than a more talented person who does just enough to be on top.

I don't think anyone understands better that life isn't fair than this girl. Many things we take for granted are a major struggle for her. I guess she deserves rotting teeth because she can't brush them herself. It's not fair that someone else would have to bathe her either.

Would everyone feel the same way about the airborne soldier who lost his leg in combat and fought to get back on jump status? Should he he have just been told to shut up and sit in the corner with his lamp shade on?

I'm the most impatient son of a ***** you ever have the opportunity to meet. But I have all the patience in the world to deal with the handicapped. The nerve of places like walmart to put paraplegics as door greeters and pay them the same as those who do more. I'll gladly wait the extra few minutes to have them struggle to put the return sticker on my item.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011

It called being human.
    I couln't agree with this more. What happened to doing something because it's the right thing, not because someone will sue you if you don't? I'm astounded that the school doesn't want to have this girl on the squad.

As far as the post asking "what happens when she wants to be a cop", if that's the case, I'd hope there would be a position in dispatch for her. Or maybe we'd all rather just complain about having one more person to support through entitlements.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Congratulations, bro!:yesway:

BTW, what does that have to do with my last post concerning you equating over-eating to a girl that was born without arms or legs?
    And what was the point to your comment, grow up. Everyone has an opinion. And the Big Labowski Movie sucked big time. 6 foot 5 and 255, I did not know they can stack crap that high.Girls like this shoudn't be cheerleading.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    And what was the point to your comment, grow up. Everyone has an opinion. And the Big Labowski Movie sucked big time. 6 foot 5 and 255, I did not know they can stack crap that high.Girls like this shoudn't be cheerleading.

My comment was to point out how ridiculous you sound trying to equate eating yourself into obesity to a girl that was born without limbs.

BTW, your PM calling me **** wasn't enough? I guess I can't blame you for not wanting to keep all that cleverness a secret.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Obviously this can be an emotional argument because we all (or most of us) feel sorry for the little girl. I just have a problem with people suing all the time to force their point of view on others. So if another couple of disabled people decide they want to be on the squad, we have to let them on as well. At some point we will just drop the whole program because of costs and potential liability. Make no mistake about it, accidents happen, disabled people are usually easily injured and her parents have already shown they are litigious.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Yes, I feel sorry for her and I saw the heartwarming videos of the exceptions to the rules. I still say she doesn’t belong on the squad. And just because one group makes an exception doesn’t mean everyone has to or that the exception is the correct thing to do.

I am also looking at the fact that cheer leading is a sport. As such, there are competitions and scholarships out there for those that excel. However, any team (squad) is only as good as its weakest link. Guess the girls at this school should just forget about the types of routines that get noticed by scouts so one person can feel good about themselves.

Alright, let’s just make her and “honorary” member, give her a uniform, and let her be on the sidelines. Until some football player gets tackled into her chair and they both end up in the hospital because she couldn’t get out of the way. Can we all SCREAM lawsuit? And the public outcry; “Putting that poor little girl in danger like that! The humanity!” How fast will that coach be blacklisted? Any guess?

And we are overlooking the most OBVIOUS and compelling reason for her not to be on the team. Maybe she isn’t any good! Cheerleading also requires a projection and a rhythm, she could have neither. Don’t give me the she’s taken dance classes as a defense to this either. I grew up with a girl who tried to make our softball team 4 years straight in school. She went to every off-season training her parents could afford/find. She played rec ball every summer. And she was terrible. I don’t just mean bad, I mean horrible. She just wasn’t capable.

No is an answer. None of us like to hear it, but sometimes it is the answer. Kids don’t make teams, for whatever reasons. People fail and we don’t always get what we want. It is what it is. I feel for this girl and I admire her spirit. But she needs to accept no. “Fair” is a place with pigs and horses.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    As a person that may have a little more insight into this girls situation (since I'm a paraplygic) I have to say that she should be held to the same standards of the rest of the squad. If she can't do the moves she shouldn't do the moves. But, that in no way means she can't participate with the squad in other ways. I would love to join the military, but unfortunately I can't. Doesnt mean I can't send care packages to men overseas, donate to wounded warriors, etc. I played football from age 5-17 when i was hurt and when i got out of the hospital i couldn't play anymore, but it didnt stop me from being at every practice and every game being there for my team. Being devoted to my team mentally even after a life changing event i was given "Team Captain" award. I'm not tooting my own horn here, I'm just stating that there is still a lot that young lady can do for the squad besides doing flips and what not. We had a young man named robbie on our football team that had downs syndrome. since he couldnt play on the field he became one of our team managers, but we always considered him as a vital asset to our team as our quarterback

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As a person that may have a little more insight into this girls situation (since I'm a paraplygic) I have to say that she should be held to the same standards of the rest of the squad. If she can't do the moves she shouldn't do the moves. But, that in no way means she can't participate with the squad in other ways. I would love to join the military, but unfortunately I can't. Doesnt mean I can't send care packages to men overseas, donate to wounded warriors, etc. I played football from age 5-17 when i was hurt and when i got out of the hospital i couldn't play anymore, but it didnt stop me from being at every practice and every game being there for my team. Being devoted to my team mentally even after a life changing event i was given "Team Captain" award. I'm not tooting my own horn here, I'm just stating that there is still a lot that young lady can do for the squad besides doing flips and what not. We had a young man named robbie on our football team that had downs syndrome. since he couldnt play on the field he became one of our team managers, but we always considered him as a vital asset to our team as our quarterback

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why that can't be the case for this little girl.

Great post, BTW.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    It called being human.

Apparently this is a tough pill to swallow for some.

you're right. humans taste terrible.

truthfully, i am glad she got to try out, and i would be happy to see her get an "honorary" position so she can be there to support the team at games, competitions, etc. i don't feel that some other girl should lose out on a spot to make room for this girl.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana

BEST POST OF THREAD CANDIDATE!:ingo:

Top Bottom