• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    People need to get over the all things equal crap. There are things I cannot do. Not because I'm a girl, but because of my size, stature, strength, even age (that's a hard one to admit). There are men my size that cannot do the same things. As I tell my son, be happy with who you are, do the best with what you've got, and enjoy what makes each of us different.

^^^^^ This. She can't do what is required, so why should she get to be on the team. Sure she could be motivational on a sideline, but so could just about anyone else.

Regardless of what anyone or thing may tell you, we are all in fact very unequal. Shame on her parents for letting her think that the world will bend to her wants.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    She's not asking to be on the team. She's asking to be the waterboy. Are feet and hands required to "cheer"?

"Cheerleading is a physical activity, sometimes a competitive sport, based on organized routines, usually ranging from one to three minutes, which contain the components of tumbling, dance, jumps, cheers, and stunting to direct spectators of events to cheer on sports teams at games or to participate in competitions."

I'd say so, yes. And she is indeed asking to be on the cheerleading "team." It's just often called a "squad."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    What will society do when she decides she wants to be a cop?

There is only one thing to do:

robocop.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To me, it depends on her motivation. Does she have the attitude that everyone needs to accommodate her or is this just a way for her to show her independence? I think the picture with her driving her wheel chair and holding her books with her other arm and chin shows that she's independent and doesn't want people to cater to her. Without knowing her attitude, how can we judge this situation?

I have very little sympathy or empathy but the disabled ate a group of people who touch my heart. Especially those who try to make the most of their lives and refuse to let their disabilities to hold them back. Should the midget doctor not be allowed into medical school because she can't see over the table? Should this kid not aspire to be a baseball, hockey player, golfer, etc because he has no legs?

29833e1b.jpg

9e120429.jpg

6cb402bd.jpg

7b0e923b.jpg

I would challenge that most abled body people suffer more disability than this girl or boy does.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    To me, it depends on her motivation... Should this kid not aspire to be a baseball, hockey player, golfer, etc because he has no legs?

I'm not sure I can really agree on this. Obviously, the boy whose photos you showed can walk, run, jump, etc with his prostheses. The girl in the OP story, it appears, is wheelchair bound.

If that boy could not stand at all, if he could not use a prosthesis, would you still think it appropriate that he be encouraged to dream big and shoot for being a baseball player?

I just think there are limits. The ADA says something about making "reasonable" accommodations. It appears that the school has done that with this youg lady to accommodate her disability so she can participate in marching band. But since jumping is a KEY part of being a cheerleader, how can anyone consider the school's decision to be unreasonable? I just don't get it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Most schools Cheerleaders don't support the teams they are primarily a competitive sport now.

A sport where all team members are required to do tumbling skills as part of the score. With no arms or legs she could not perform the gymnastics required in competition. I am guessing that is why the coaches did not put her on the team. I believe that cheerleaders now just "Support" school teams out of tradition and as practice for competition.

As I have stated before, if the criteria to be a cheerleader requires you to do a front flip and you can't, you don't really have room to argue...But if she's just wanting to be the equivalent of a cheerleader water-girl and have a uniform just so she can feel a part of something, I just don't see why anyone wouldn't want her on the team for inspiration.

I highly doubt any opposing coaches are going to complain when the armless/legless girl doesn't compete...Well, at least not the ones with souls.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't think this girl has the expectation that this gig will earn her a spot on the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. We lambaste able bodied welfare queens for not using their God given bodies to earn their keep. So now we lambaste those who had the misfortune of being born disabled for daring to try to do more than their bodies allow. This is a freakin high school cheer squad, not the tryouts for a Britney Spears dance team.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have never seen someone cheer without at least shaking the pompoms. Jumping around also seems pretty common.

So are we going to keep another child from achieving her dream of being a cheerleader because we feel sorry for this child? Most teams only have a certain number of spots.

I thought of this as being the ONLY reason to not let her join the squad. It would not be fair to the one booted. SO, you make a SPECIAL position, and let the girl excel. When you get to the competitions, she sits out but IS there to support her team. Is is treating someone special? You bet and after reading the story, I would be glad to do it. Its high school folks!

Aww c'mon man. Nothing wrong with having a voice for the team. What your comparing is different. I don't think the kid is stepping out of bounds on this.

Well put, she just wants to be part of the group, I dont expect her to do somersaults or something.

I have very little sympathy or empathy but the disabled ate a group of people who touch my heart. Especially those who try to make the most of their lives and refuse to let their disabilities to hold them back. Should the midget doctor not be allowed into medical school because she can't see over the table? Should this kid not aspire to be a baseball, hockey player, golfer, etc because he has no legs?

I would challenge that most abled body people suffer more disability than this girl or boy does.

Precisely, and that is why she should be on the team. They can make special cheers just for her and I would bet she would motivate much more than the 'regulars'. I have seen a many of high school games and I would want her there as a fan and as a parent. Parent? Well it would be one hell of a lesson for the other kids on how to deal with this during the rest of their lives.

As I have stated before, if the criteria to be a cheerleader requires you to do a front flip and you can't, you don't really have room to argue...But if she's just wanting to be the equivalent of a cheerleader water-girl and have a uniform just so she can feel a part of something, I just don't see why anyone wouldn't want her on the team for inspiration.

I highly doubt any opposing coaches are going to complain when the armless/legless girl doesn't compete...Well, at least not the ones with souls.

You nailed it! :+1:

I don't think this girl has the expectation that this gig will earn her a spot on the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. We lambaste able bodied welfare queens for not using their God given bodies to earn their keep. So now we lambaste those who had the misfortune of being born disabled for daring to try to do more than their bodies allow. This is a freakin high school cheer squad, not the tryouts for a Britney Spears dance team.

Man that was great and to the point....:+1:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Alright, let me get this straight. 1) Girl w/ no arms or legs tries out for cheerleading. 2) Said girl with no arms or legs doesn;t get cheerleading spot. 3) Armless/legless girl and family upset that she did nto make the team. 4) Armless/legless girl and family suing school distract. Right on these facts. If that's the case, I'm gonna try out for the NFL and WHEN I don't get accepted, I'm gonna sue them becuase their try outs are unfair because I have a handicap of over eating, therfor I am over weight. Being overweight is considered a handicap. Will I win? Please discuss

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I had to describe the American Dream in my own words, one way would be refusing to be contained by the box of limitations the world wants to put you in. This girl appears to be the epitome of it to me. She could say woe is me, I can't do it and let everyone else take care of her or she could strive to achieve more than can be expected of her.

Let's assume there are 10 spots on this squad and 15 tried out including her. She didn't beat out the top 10 girls along with 4 others. Would it be special treatment to allow her to be the 11th girl? Yes. Would it be fair to the other 4 girls who didn't make the team? No. But if making her the 11th girl is that terrible to the other 4 girls, parents, and school, then I suggest they need a heart check. I mean what's the worst that can happen? They make an exception for her, they have to make an exception for every other legless and armless girl?

To me, special treatment would be setting the bar of expectations lower for her than everyone else. Would we tell her she doesn't have to do homework or tests because she can't write? Any perceived special treatment would never make up for her disability. If given the choice, I'm sure this girl would much rather have the arms and legs to earn her spot on the squad than to receive a sympathy spot. Everyone deserves dignity.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Alright, let me get this straight. 1) Girl w/ no arms or legs tries out for cheerleading. 2) Said girl with no arms or legs doesn;t get cheerleading spot. 3) Armless/legless girl and family upset that she did nto make the team. 4) Armless/legless girl and family suing school distract. Right on these facts. If that's the case, I'm gonna try out for the NFL and WHEN I don't get accepted, I'm gonna sue them becuase their try outs are unfair because I have a handicap of over eating, therfor I am over weight. Being overweight is considered a handicap. Will I win? Please discuss

Are you really equating over eating to being born with no arms or legs? If so, she's 1 million times the person the over eater could ever hope to be.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If that's the case, I'm gonna try out for the NFL and WHEN I don't get accepted, I'm gonna sue them becuase their try outs are unfair because I have a handicap of over eating, therfor I am over weight. Being overweight is considered a handicap. Will I win? Please discuss

No, your fat ass can go join a gym and quit eating so much...What can this girl join to grow some arms and legs?

Will power can fix you...Juilia Sullivan? Not so much.

Geez, I just don't see the big deal in giving this girl a uniform and letting her sit on the sidelines with the other cheerleaders...Being born with no arms or legs would be HORRIBLE, why not let her have a bit of happiness? She's just trying to be a part of something for Christ's sake.

It looks like this school needs to take a page out of Greece Athena HS's book and show even the slightest bit of compassion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/23/earlyshow/main1339324.shtml

Last edited:
    Top Bottom