• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    guys I grew up in southern Ill. moved to Indy about 15 years ago. I finally convinced my wife that to bring some of the guns I had from my childhood home at least a few of them. couple of questions though?
    i am not sure if the guns were registered in my name or my dads cause I got them when i was a teenager so do i need to take them to a FFL to do a transfer if the are in his name? is there any way to check who they were registered to.

also I know i am going to inherit about 40+ guns plus the ones I still have over there someday (hopefully a long time from now) what will I need to do then?

thanks
    catfish

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is my understanding (at least in IN), guns may be gifted or sold to anybody but those whom are legally prohibited from owning/possessing them without any paper work.

There are others than have the intricacies memorized better than me and will probably be along shortly.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I believe to be completely legal, your Dad would have to either bring or ship the guns to your Indiana FFL, and then the Indiana FFL will do the form and NCIS check.

That being said, Indiana doesn't have any firearms registration. If you just brought the firearms home, or your Dad visited and left them behind, nobody would know any different. Do what ever you feel that you need to do. I am not telling you to break the law, just what the laws say as I understand them.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Maybe this will help?

Inheriting Guns/Estate Questions:

• When a gun owner dies, the “heir or legatee” is not immediately in illegal possession if they do not have a license. Chapter 140, § 129 gives a 180 day exemption. By the end of 180 days, the person in charge of the estate should have either:
      1. Transfer the firearms to a dealer
      2. Transfer the firearms to a person who has the appropriate FID/LTC
      3. Or, applied for an extension of the time period to the chief of police
    • If the deceased had a MA license: It appears that an FA-10 could be filled out during this 180 day period, with the deceased person’s information as the seller, and the new owner as the buyer. The executor/executrix should sign [her name] for the estate of [deceased’s name].
    • If it has been longer than 180 days, or the deceased did not have a current LTC, then the sales must go through a licensed dealer.
    • If the inheritor is out of state, then have the executor/executrix ship the guns to a licensed dealer in that state OR have the inheritor pick them up directly.
    • Inherited guns still need to be registered with the state! Inheriting Across State Lines: If a MA resident with an LTC/FID inherits guns from a deceased person out of state, they may go directly and pick up those guns (provided it is lawful for them to possess those guns in that state as a non-resident). Although the federal government prohibits private transfers across state lines, it does make an exception for “direct bequest or interstate succession.” This is especially handy when we are talking about a person inheriting handguns that may not be “MA compliant”. Inherited guns still need to be registered on an FA-10.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    +1^
    "That being said, Indiana doesn't have any firearms registration. If you just brought the firearms home, or your Dad visited and left them behind, nobody would know any different. Do what ever you feel that you need to do. I am not telling you to break the law, just what the laws say as I understand them." _________________

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Lots of misinformation in this thread. There is no gun registration in Indiana. All your father has to do is hand you the gun and tell you its yours.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Lots of misinformation in this thread. There is no gun registration in Indiana. All your father has to do is hand you the gun and tell you its yours.

I believe if his Father is still in Illinois, and that's the way I read it, it is supposed to go through an FFL. If the father is in Indiana, your correct, you just go get the guns.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, your guns are your guns and require no 3rd party intervention. Doesn't matter who they might be registered to in another state. Feel free to bring them home.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    In Illinois, if you transfer to a private individual (no FFL), you must record their FOID #, observe the 24 or 72 hour waiting period, and keep a record of the transfer for ten years. So if the guns are all over ten years old, who's to know? You could take the position that you brought your guns to Indiana when you moved here over ten years ago.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I believe if his Father is still in Illinois, and that's the way I read it, it is supposed to go through an FFL. If the father is in Indiana, your correct, you just go get the guns.
    I completely missed that. Apologies.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If they're YOUR guns...and they're in IL, you go get them and bring them home. Or have someone bring them to you.

If they're your dad's guns, to be legal, you're supposed to have them transferred to you via form 4473. ALL gun transfers are supposed to go through a FFL if the owners are in differing states.

-J-

Top Bottom