• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No freedom of speech in Germany.

They sure do love them some authoritarianism.

In my experience, Germans simply have a "followers" ideology. They essentially think, "if the government passes it, don't argue, obey." The only backlash I've ever seen concerning a law, was when those clowns at the Reichstag tried to pass a smoking ban. Germans LOVE their cigarettes, and they shut that **** down.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Holocaust denial is a crime in many European countries, not just Germany.

I'm all for free speech and I think those laws shouldn't be in place.

At the same time you have to understand how it feels when you had family members deported in concentration camps, many of which never came back, and someone writes a book saying it never happened.

People should be allowed to publish books that make them look like heartless *******s.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Germany takes the holocaust very seriously. All the memorials are free to tour and they encourage it. Their opinion is never again will their citizens be able to say "but we didn't know!"

we rip on them but live in a country with protected classes

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Germany takes the holocaust very seriously. All the memorials are free to tour and they encourage it. Their opinion is never again will their citizens be able to say "but we didn't know!"

we rip on them but live in a country with protected classes

Good point. We have our own "off limits" topics and issues.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    After the horrific things that happened there, and the people that excused it as, "We didn't know", or "I just did what I was told", they might be a bit touchy about it as they try to collectively make sure it NEVER happens again.
    Sort of a collective guilt.

As for the Deniers, amazing how so many servicemen came back that had witnessed it, yet never made a "deathbed confession" about it being fake.
    So much easier to deny with those witnesses being dead.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    After the horrific things that happened there, and the people that excused it as, "We didn't know", or "I just did what I was told", they might be a bit touchy about it as they try to collectively make sure it NEVER happens again.
    Sort of a collective guilt.

As for the Deniers, amazing how so many servicemen came back that had witnessed it, yet never made a "deathbed confession" about it being fake.
    So much easier to deny with those witnesses being dead.

A deceased member of my church liberated one of the death camps. I'm not sure which one, though. He was so horrified by what he saw, he very rarely mentioned anything about it. I think I heard him mention one time he had liberated a camp. I asked him some questions, but he told me he didn't want to talk about it as it caused him nightmares when he dug those memories up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I need to go back. I remember enjoying Switzerland much more.

Depends on where you are, I imagine. Baden and Bavaria are awesome for old school German culture, and the land is breathtaking. The further north, the more industrial you get. Berlin is a very liberal town, but tons of WW2 and Cold War gems to be found, and obviously the food is the best. You'll also run into LOTS of American GIs (formerly), guys from WW2 getting one last look, guys stationed in Berlin at the height of the Cold War (easy to spot because theyre loud and obnoxious to German sensibilities), and current deployed young GIs who just drink and chase girls. Most are happy to have another American to talk to.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    BTW, if anybody finds themselves in Berlin, and like Caribbean food, drop me a line. You'll eat at my brother's place for free. And if you want, he'll give you a tour of the cities least known, but eye opening historical spots. He knows history as well as I do.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Depends on where you are, I imagine. Baden and Bavaria are awesome for old school German culture, and the land is breathtaking. The further north, the more industrial you get. Berlin is a very liberal town, but tons of WW2 and Cold War gems to be found, and obviously the food is the best. You'll also run into LOTS of American GIs (formerly), guys from WW2 getting one last look, guys stationed in Berlin at the height of the Cold War (easy to spot because theyre loud and obnoxious to German sensibilities), and current deployed young GIs who just drink and chase girls. Most are happy to have another American to talk to.

Yeah, I'd like to go back and just run around in the south sampling food. I spent a few days in Heidelberg, and I agree on the scenery. But I had just come from Lucerne. From that short experience, the people were nicer, the history was richer, and the scenery was incomparable. But you've seen a lot more than I have, I know. So I'll have to go back to get a better feel for it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    BTW, if anybody finds themselves in Berlin, and like Caribbean food, drop me a line. You'll eat at my brother's place for free. And if you want, he'll give you a tour of the cities least known, but eye opening historical spots. He knows history as well as I do.

Youre such a jerk.

I'm not known for the quality of my puns.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks Kut....

That's a real offer. I had several people take me up on it. They love the food, and love the tour. You typically can't go around asking for Hitler's bunker location and not offend people. But if you want to see the parking lot, lol, my brother will show you. It's a small scamper from the Reichstag. There are also old Nazi buildings, flak towers, bunkers, still floating around. Even the old Luftwaffe headquarters (now the Air Ministry Building) is still there.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I've been to Germany several times, never to Berlin.
    Maybe I can plan a road trip! It's only a 11 hours drive. :):

Top Bottom