• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    A Russian Capture is an honest k98. They have a history all their own. To each his own.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

A bringback with non matching bolt goes for around $700 and a matching 1K or more. Gotta have deap pockets for K98's and you have to be careful as they are being faked because of the profit. The rifle in the first post looks legit except for the stock being so light so I would check to see if it has been sanded or refinished. Even then, I would want to inspect it personally.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    not afraid of the price of a nice one, its finding one that bubba has not sanded or polished. I think the show down in Kentucky at the end of the month will be my best bet. thanks for the info.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    not afraid of the price of a nice one, its finding one that bubba has not sanded or polished. I think the show down in Kentucky at the end of the month will be my best bet. thanks for the info.

I found a duffel cut DOT 44 where everything matched including the stock but the front band had been humped. Someone stamped the band to match the rifle. To relieve that error, I found an unstamped period band to replace it. Also, it had been lightly sanded at one time. Still a nice rifle and IMHO, matching rifles cycle very smoothly. The sling is German but no one has been able to identify it as it is not a normal sling for a k98.

You have to be careful and know what you are looking at. There are a lot of humped k98s out there.

k98zi8.jpg

I also picked up a matching import DOU 44. The mag floor plate may not be of the rifle but there are other DOU44s with an unmarked floor plate, everything else matches. Some purists poo poo it because it is an import but it is still nice to have a matching k98 just the same though this rifle shows it had a hard life and a lot of use since the crossbolt is set back, a common issue with well used k98s. The last picture shows how crisp the bolt cutout should look if not sanded.

DOU%202_zpsb0x0gpy6.jpg

DOU%201_zpslvlrwoah.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have a pre-war rifle that is all matching and untouched that I found at an auction in Ohio about 2 years ago. The funny part is that I had someone come up to me after the auction and tell me that I was fool for paying $900 for a 98k because they are easy to find for a lot less! I just nodded and ignored him. I was only bidding against some phone bidders, but I had the benefit of being there and actually seeing it while all they had were the crappy auction photos.
    View attachment 35590 View attachment 35591 View attachment 35592 View attachment 35593

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a pre-war rifle that is all matching and untouched that I found at an auction in Ohio about 2 years ago. The funny part is that I had someone come up to me after the auction and tell me that I was fool for paying $900 for a 98k because they are easy to find for a lot less! I just nodded and ignored him. I was only bidding against some phone bidders, but I had the benefit of being there and actually seeing it while all they had were the crappy auction photos.
    View attachment 35590 View attachment 35591 View attachment 35592 View attachment 35593

Dang, you did well. An early transition rifle and fairly hard to find which someone will spend more than that for. Army (Heer) marked stock.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Buyer beware, there are a crapload of fakes on the market. Most matching non-RC K98k's run around $1100-$1200. I have a RC K98k, a non matching K98k with Chinese branding on the stock, and this little gem I picked up for $250 from a guy who found it in his rental after the tenant moved out. It's worth about $1200 as it has a more rare hardwood stock.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Humped k98s are not honest k98s. My apologies if you have one. They look good but have no collector value if that is the desire.

I was being sarcastic.

I have a '43 bnz Russian Capture and a '41 Turk. I bought them both at Bradis really cheap.

TurkPostCleaning01BNZandKALEwBAYO_zps1f93995a.jpg

Attachments

• TurkPostCleaning01BNZandKALEwBAYO_zps1f93995a.jpg
      TurkPostCleaning01BNZandKALEwBAYO_zps1f93995a.jpg
      103.5 KB · Views: 2

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Speaking of humped rifles. I picked up this Yugo M48bo that someone tried to pass off as a Steyr K98. Got if for a Yugo price and it is a nice rifle and I kind of picked it up because of the silly humping. Hard to say why you buy something sometimes.

M48-4_zpsvxsvv7h8.jpg

Top Bottom