• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I haven't seen the series, but I have read the book. IMO, it was "OK" - nothing more, nothing less. But then, I haven't served in the Corps so maybe I'm missing some of the context.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    We watched the series and enjoyed it. I was a bit surprised that HBO was showing it since it didn't come off (to me) as pure anti-military anti-Bush, the way so much Hollywood stuff is.

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    I thought the HBO series sucked a bit. Not even close to a series like band of brothers

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    How about comparing it to the movie Jarhead? better worse?

I would like to know this too. I think Jarhead (from what I have talked to Gulf War 1 vets) is a more accurate representation. People will say it was a terrible war movie, but I disagree. Its an accurate portrayal of a modern army's war. Its not gung-ho action, its realistic in that not everyone hits the **** and not everyone is SOF.

Hell, I'd even watch a documentary of the truck drivers in Iraq right after the second war simmered to a low boil. Those IEDs are some scary stuff to think about....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would like to know this too. I think Jarhead (from what I have talked to Gulf War 1 vets) is a more accurate representation. People will say it was a terrible war movie, but I disagree. Its an accurate portrayal of a modern army's war. Its not gung-ho action, its realistic in that not everyone hits the **** and not everyone is SOF.

Hell, I'd even watch a documentary of the truck drivers in Iraq right after the second war simmered to a low boil. Those IEDs are some scary stuff to think about....

DH has it right in that Jarhead is more of a documentary than an actual action movie that a lot of people seem to see it as. If you watch it understanding this it is a much better movie. In the Army we have a badge that is awarded to an Infantryman that has engaged the enemy in battle It is refered to as a "CIB" (Combat Infantry Badge). IF you can get most of the guys to cool their jets and ask them what it really means they will tell you "Combat Is Boring".

IED's are F*#KING UNNERVING! Imagine driving along on the same road that you have been riding across for god knows how many days or times and all of a sudden BOOM! OH don't forget you are hopped up on caffeine and stims to keep you awake cause who knows how long you have been awake staring at either sand or concrete barriers. :twocents: :D

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I thought Jarhead was pretty accurate, except for all the homo-erotic stuff. It captured the essence and general attitude of modern day Marines, but, I can say I personally never participated in or witnessed all the quasi-homosexual grab-assery portrayed in the flick.

Honest!

But then again, I was with a communications unit (pogue) in the Gulf War, not a grunt unit. So, who's to say? ;)

Generation Kill was accurate in its portrayal of the general essence of Marines as well...probably more so than Jarhead, in my opinion. The series portrayed Recon Marines, who tended, in my limited dealings with them, to be quite different in many ways, to the average Joe Marine.

I'm no expert by any means. I just know what I experienced and observed.

Your mileage may vary.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Sgt. Rodolfo 'Rudy' Reyes played himself in the movie and helped run the actors thru a mini boot camp. The making of was pretty cool. I liked it alot. I never served, but thought it was a good show.

Top Bottom