• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Did a search to avoid a double post but came up empty. Closest I saw was this from 2018.

Anyway, apparently, Judge Sedia (IN Superior Court) is allowing Gary to proceed with a suit that may expose hundreds of thousands of gun owners personal info.

The suit is the City of Gary may move forward on its public nuisance claim based upon the unlawful sales of firearms that have, indeed, harmed Gary.

More here: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/i...-hundreds-of-thousands-of-indiana-gun-owners/

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Saw this Judge's ruling in an Ammoland article -- at this point affects Cabela's and Bass Pro. Cabela's has already turned over 200,000 4473's to plaintiffs which includes Brady which wrote the lawsuit for Gary, IN. Many thousands more are expected from Bass Pro and they're not done demanding more 4473s from more retailers. I expect Rural King to get hit with a subpoena. Guy Relford talked about it on his Monday Gun Day segment on WIBC (Hammer and Nigel show).

I fully expect Brady and their minions will DOX everyone with ALL the 4473 information they get their hands on if nothing stops them from doing so -- which would include gun buyer Social Security Numbers -- to publish who owns guns and where they live -- putting huge robbery and burglary targets on their backs. This is what occurred in the New York publication of gun owners. This is a BIG DEAL.

Ammoland Article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/12/personal-information-of-thousands-of-indiana-gun-owners-at-risk-for-public-disclosure/

Guy Relford on WIBC Hammer and Nigel Monday night, 18 Dec. (starts at approx. 34:25 into the show):

Lake County Superior Court where this occurred - is occurring:
    https://lakecounty.in.gov/departments/civil-div-1

V-e-r-y--L-o-n-g Case Summary in the Lake County Trial Court (Case Number 45D01-1211-CT-000233):
    https://public.courts.in.gov/mycase...yc3pFcV9hZUtEZmtVQXpVbUk3eFdHLU1qUUhkazgxIn19

I'm hoping this goes up to the state supreme court.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Why did Cabelas comply before the appeals were exhausted?
    You'd have to call Cabela's and ask. My prediction: they won't tell you why. IMHO, the reality: it was easier and less expensive than paying a team of expensive attorneys to fight it. Cabela's and Bass Pro have not been very strong 2A supporters and they're unwilling to pay the cost of fighting it. Only Cabela's can tell you the real answer which I'm certain they won't. All we can do is connect the dots as best possible.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Saw this Judge's ruling in an Ammoland article -- at this point affects Cabela's and Bass Pro. Cabela's has already turned over 200,000 4473's to plaintiffs which includes Brady which wrote the lawsuit for Gary, IN.
    I read the article, but I am interested in the source for what is written there.

Anyone here have a primary source for the statement that Cabelas has already turned over 200,000 4473s?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    How could buyer Social Security numbers be published if none were provided on 4473's?
    I thought SS cannot be disclosed to the public because of the likelihood that those individuals could be exposed to fraud??

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's been a while since I was involved with 4473s, but isn't that info given the same confidentiality status as tax records? I remember my local ATF guys saying to never give it to anybody besides ATF.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How could buyer Social Security numbers be published if none were provided on 4473's?
    I thought SS cannot be disclosed to the public because of the likelihood that those individuals could be exposed to fraud??

I would think that if Gary let SS numbers and names get out they could be sued by people who had their identities stolen.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Guy interviewed Chris Lee from NSSF today while subbing for Hammer and/or Nigel. 20 Dec show, 37 minute mark begins the discussion, interview starts at 40 minute mark.

Sounds like legislation coming this session.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The 4473 has a space for providing your SSAN -- voluntarily -- but it helps immensely in preventing a denial based upon the NICS using numerous algorithms to find a match -- including "sound-alike" names. The SSAN is definitive. Thus many will provide the SSAN believing it will never be divulged publicly. Well -- that just went out the window.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I read the article, but I am interested in the source for what is written there.

Anyone here have a primary source for the statement that Cabelas has already turned over 200,000 4473s?
    For that you'd have to contact the article's author -- Lee Williams. He's a regular contributor. I would surmise it's from court documents filed during the wrangling over quashing the subpoena -- or inside information from Cabela's about the number of transactions (4473s). I don't have the subscriptions to access every court filing. Law firms can pay it and make it part of their fee structure. I'm just me and can't afford it.

Information about Lee Williams -- article author.

https://www.ammoland.com/author/lee-williams/

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Guy interviewed Chris Lee from NSSF today while subbing for Hammer and/or Nigel. 20 Dec show, 37 minute mark begins the discussion, interview starts at 40 minute mark.

Sounds like legislation coming this session.

I listened to the WIBC 20 Dec Hammer & Nigel livestream -- and the NSSF interview was at the top of the 2nd hour of the show. The WIBC YouTube livestream includes the commercials -- whereas the audio stream linked to by KellyInAvon doesn't.

@HoughMade You may also want to contact Chris Lee of the NSSF who is their rep for Indiana and is -- from the interview with Guy Relford -- knowledgeable about the litigation and how many 4473 purchase records are involved. He stated over 200,000 from Hammond, IN Cabela's. I presume you know how to contact and discuss it with Guy Relford.

Chris Lee LinkedIn Page:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/christopher-lee-ndmsm/

Chis links to another article about this BIG DEAL on his LinkedIn page -- on The Truth About Guns:
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/indiana-judges-order-exposes-personal-information-of-hundreds-of-thousands-of-indiana-gun-owners/

This should give you several leads to pursue -- I'd go for Chris Lee of the NSSF first -- followed by Guy Relford.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom