Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    :(

Saw them in Wichita in 1995 (Gary, Leon Wilkinson and Billy Powell were with the band) and more recently at Deer Creek. Gary was the last original member of the band that pioneered Southern Rock. Their double-live album One More From the Road... I had it on 8-Track.

RIP Gary.

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    Proud member of Skynyrd Nation here for longer than I care to remember. While this wasn't totally unexpected, it still hurts nonetheless. Here's hoping Gary is having a cold one with Ronnie, Steve, Cassie, Allen, Leon, Billy and the rest up in rock and roll heaven.

Fly on Free Bird, dreams do come true.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I always thought when I heard a skynyrd song on the radio what Van Zant or Rossington or Collins would have said if someone told them in 1973 that fellas....They will still be playing your songs in the year 2023. I think they would have laughed. But I'm glad they still do.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was just out of boot camp when Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane went down.
    That was an incredible loss.
    I enjoyed much of Johnny Van Zant in .38special but I really liked the Rossington Collins band.
    So many treasures lost.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Long time fan of the band here. As a kid I always slept with a radio on and I can still remember hearing the announcement on WLS late at night about the crash. I was 10 years old.

I saw them on the 1987 reunion tour and that still ranks high among some of the best live shows I’ve seen.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I still remember riding in my dads truck when the guy on the radio announced the plane crash, I would have been 12. I remember they specifically mentioned Ronnie Van Zants name, but I don’t know if they said he had died, not sure if that would have been the same day it happened or maybe the following morning.

Top Bottom