• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Why can't I grow corn? It grows, it looks beautiful but... it's chewy as all get out, NOT sweet...just blah. A couple plants a month ago had some issues with the corn so I got rid of those stalks. But the remaining look great, but don't taste it.
    Someone PLEASE explain this...It's driving me nuts. I was REALLY looking forward to sweet corn this year, and I'm getting Jipped.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What variety are you planting? How much are you planting? How are you planting it (rows, blocks etc...)? Are you feeding it? What are you feeding it?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I'm not trying to insult you but it's a question that has to be asked:

You are growing SWEET corn right...not FIELD corn?

I'm not 100% sure what the difference is but I know it's not sweet. I've tried it a long time ago, it sucks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Personally I pass on growing sweet corn as it is next to impossible to keep coons out of it and it is pretty cheap at the local farmers market. I focus more on bell peppers and tomatos. Putting out grapes next year.:)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are planting more than one variety there can be problems (su+ and se)

Last edited:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I plant white sweet corn as it has a bit more sugar and flavor to me. I assume your ears are filling out OK? If not make sure you don't have the plants too close. If the corn is chewy it sounds like either field corn or the corn is too dry. The kernels should be plump, if they start to wrinkle they are on their way to drying out.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Are the raccoons hitting it hard? If the raccoons won't eat it, that may tell you something!

Do you know your soil PH?

Where did you get the seeds from?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    It's Organic Sweet Corn. Seeds were bought Online. Planted 4 short rows (equals out to about 45 stalks.) Haven't fed it anything. As far as I can tell the 'coons are not hitting it. I was told to wait until the silk starts turning brown before I pick it. Maybe THAT is the issue. Haven't fed my garden anything.
    I know corn is cheap but I was also experimenting with basket weaving and such out of the husks. It's a trial and error run this year. First big garden.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sounds like you let it start drying out if you allowed the silk to start turning...

I'll see if I can turn up some research from Purdue on Organic Corn/Gardening if you would like...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The seeds are fine, the soil may not be, and picked early or late affects the taste. Do a little testing now, and you'll be ready for next year. If the raccoons eat it all, you know you had a sweet crop!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    dont let the silk turn brown before picking it.

Have to disagree a bit here. I followed that rule with my crop this year and it wasn't ready for pickin'. Kernels were still white (and, no, it's not a white kernel corn) and not completely developed. I've decided that the ideal time is when the tips just start turning.

I wouldn't let 'coons be an indicator either. We've got both opossums and raccoons in our neighborhood and neither have bothered my garden one bit. I've seen the tracks of a cat, but neither hide nor hair of the other two.

If it's any consolation, RM, I can't seem to get it right either. Seems I can't get the timing right: too early, too late. On the off chance I *do* get it right, it's already been chosen by the damn earworm as dinner. While this is my first big garden year, I've had fairly good luck with everything else ('cepting the onions). But that corn is kicking my butt.

Here's hoping my second planting does better.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Have to disagree a bit here. I followed that rule with my crop this year and it wasn't ready for pickin'. Kernels were still white (and, no, it's not a white kernel corn) and not completely developed. I've decided that the ideal time is when the tips just start turning.

I wouldn't let 'coons be an indicator either. We've got both opossums and raccoons in our neighborhood and neither have bothered my garden one bit. I've seen the tracks of a cat, but neither hide nor hair of the other two.

If it's any consolation, RM, I can't seem to get it right either. Seems I can't get the timing right: too early, too late. On the off chance I *do* get it right, it's already been chosen by the damn earworm as dinner. While this is my first big garden year, I've had fairly good luck with everything else ('cepting the onions). But that corn is kicking my butt.

Here's hoping my second planting does better.

Me too, with everything else. I have enough of everything else to feed a small village (Or hours of canning). :rolleyes: Boo to our corn 88. I really liked the idea of having fresh sweet corn! Next year...we'll get it. That is, if I even try corn next year because so far...it's just wasted space I could have planted something else in. ugh.

Did you get any ears that were affected by some issue that caused it to almost explode? I think the kernels were full of mold or something. Only a few ears though. It was just plain gross.
    You should play around with the husks. Learning lots of cool things there!!

To the people that mentioned Field Corn...Isn't hominy/grits made from field corn? Anybody do this? I know I could search how...I don't want to. lol My search-fu is crap!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Keep in mind that corn is a fairly heavy feeder. If you are planting in less than fertile soil, you will need to fertilize with a relatively high nitrogen fertilizer. Feeding vs. not feeding makes a huge difference. Also, I wouldn't necessarily trust seed bought online unless it is from a known and reputable source. There are plenty of trust worthy sources for organic seed (Ferry Morse, Botanical Interests, Sutton's come to mind) and most can be found locally as well.

That mold you speak of, is it a big firm black mass growing out of the kernels? If it is, it is a delicacy in some cultures, though I wouldn't eat it....

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Keep in mind that corn is a fairly heavy feeder. If you are planting in less than fertile soil, you will need to fertilize with a relatively high nitrogen fertilizer. Feeding vs. not feeding makes a huge difference. Also, I wouldn't necessarily trust seed bought online unless it is from a known and reputable source. There are plenty of trust worthy sources for organic seed (Ferry Morse, Botanical Interests, Sutton's come to mind) and most can be found locally as well.

That mold you speak of, is it a big firm black mass growing out of the kernels? If it is, it is a delicacy in some cultures, though I wouldn't eat it....

I'll have to look through my logs to find the brand of seeds I got. But I'm pretty sure it was a reputable company. I'll research more into feeding, next year.

And yes...it's the black moldy crap. NO WAY I'd eat it either. The look alone grossed me out. shudder.

Thanks!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    OT Tip: next year plant two rows a week until you get the total number of rows you want. This extends your picking season, so you can always pick at the peak. And if you pick the first two rows too early/late, you can adjust for the rest of the rows.

P.S. this was a very good year for corn -- rain, heat, rain, heat

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you are planting more than one variety there can be problems (su+ and se)
    :dunno: I can't think of any problems that would cause... can you enlighten me?

To the OP, I'll just give you a basic run-down here.

Background: We've (my family) been growing and selling sweet-corn as a side business for nearly 2 decades now. People come from all around (sometimes they drive 20+ miles) for our corn and we pride ourselves on the quality; we have a pretty good reputation for our corn.

Picking: Different people like to eat their corn at different stages but this is a basic rundown of when to pick, the signs to look for etc.

Basically as corn matures enzymes inside the kernel turn the sugars to starches. So the longer the corn goes, the less sweet it will be, but the more filling it is (starches are filling). This process even continues after picking, so if you pick corn and let it sit in your fridge for a week it won't be as sweet as fresh picked. That is why corn bought from the store is never as sweet as fresh from the patch. To stop the enzymes the corn must be cooked. This is why you blanch corn prior to freezing it if you want to store it; it stops the conversion process.

Back to when to pick it. You can pick the corn at anytime. You could pick it and eat it when it has tiny little kernels that won't amount to much. It should be really sweet that way but you'd have to eat a few dozen to get much. If you still like the corn sweet, but want it more filling, wait until the kernels are just filled out. A good sign to look for is when the little bump on the kernel left by the silk attachment point has disappeared. Granted, different varieties will show this at different times, but this is a general guide. Another guideline is to press your fingernail to a kernel until it bursts and look at what come out. If its a slightly milky looking substance and the kernel broke relatively easy then you're at the optimal time IMHO. If the fluid is more like a thick gel and it took a lot of pressure to break the kernel then you've waited too long to pick. The corn is still edible, but not as sweet. To make it better I would suggest you blanch it, cut it off the cob, add a bit of sugar to sweeten it up, and then serve as if it was canned/frozen corn.

After quite some time of picking corn, you will be able to judge if the corn is ready just by looking and feeling the ear of corn (while still on the stalk). When I was still living at home and helping pick corn we would do it purely by looking at the ear of corn on the stalk. It just takes practice. Ultimately, what would be best for you is to try the corn at several different stages and see what you like best. When you find out what stage you like it best at, look, feel, and observe the ear on the stalk, the look of the kernels etc and remember that. Then, keep a good eye on your corn patch the next year so you'll know when to pick it.

Fertilization: Corn LOVES nitrogen, almost to the point that if you aren't adding any sort of nitrogen to your garden the spring before you plant, and adding it throughout the season, you're not going to get good corn. On the farm we apply granular fertilizer in the fall, a liquid starter fertilizer (contains 10% N) in the spring while planting, and then we apply a liquid 28% nitrogen fertilizer twice while the corn is growing. Corn LOVES nitrogen... that's all I have to say about that.

If you have any questions, ask, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Top Bottom