• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We cut and ate all the asparagus that was up before the cold mornings. Hoping that worked.

The fruit trees were starting to bud, so I hope I will still have peaches this year

Reactions: Mij

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    We cut and ate all the asparagus that was up before the cold mornings. Hoping that worked.

The fruit trees were starting to bud, so I hope I will still have peaches this year
    Do ya spray your fruit trees? I just started laster year but didn't seem to do much

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have some electric fence questions, if anyone knows?

I use a 10 mile AC electric fence charger with 5 strands of poly/aluminum fence wire. Fenced garden area approx 40' X 85'. This year I restrung the bottom fence wire to galvanized hard electric fence wire. I'm trying to solve errant weeds sneaking up and burning through the bottom poly wire. Also hoping to run the bottom wire noticeably closer to the uneven ground in an effort to keep out the smaller critters that have figured out the taller gaps.

Got any idea how much more power draw I'll have with the "weed burner" bottom wire arcing on weeds? What about the years old fence charger? Is it hard on the charger to have frequent arcing?

TIA :ingo:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I cut about 2 lbs the afternoon before the cold snap, olive oil, sea salt and parmesan at the end of broiling. this year should be a good year for tasty asparagus in my garden.
    I think my peach trees will be ok, my pears haven't bloomed yet.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Anyone know how to deal with asparagus Beatles?
    I've never had to deal with them, but the extension websites always have useful info.

Here are some tips that range from hand picking beetles to insecticide use.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Compost to the raised beds and tilling to the row crop areas.
    Raspberries planted again. Hope for better luck. Grapes ready tonight and more blueberries.

Onions this week with potatoes and peas (hope I get a nice little snow pea crop.

Attachments

• 995FABC8-7C1F-4771-9278-8263CD211894.jpeg
      995FABC8-7C1F-4771-9278-8263CD211894.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 3

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm located in your area. Last year was the first year and they were bad. I probably smashed and drowned a thousand.
    Wow, i didn't have anything like that. If i see any kind of beetle, i smash what i can. I first noticed them years back when we lived at the property next door. I had mini roses along the fence and those bugs were alway eating the flowers before and after they opened up. I looked for some spay but didn't find anything. I hate using any kind of chemical. I did start using grubx stuff mainly because the grubs were destroying my strawberries. I don't know sure if using grubx eliminating the beetles, but i have noticed less on the asparagus and virtually no grubs in strawberries.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wow, i didn't have anything like that. If i see any kind of beetle, i smash what i can. I first noticed them years back when we lived at the property next door. I had mini roses along the fence and those bugs were alway eating the flowers before and after they opened up. I looked for some spay but didn't find anything. I hate using any kind of chemical. I did start using grubx stuff mainly because the grubs were destroying my strawberries. I don't know sure if using grubx eliminating the beetles, but i have noticed less on the asparagus and virtually no grubs in strawberries.
    I started using neem oil last year. Jury is still out, but it'll never be as good as a dusting with sevin. Hate to kill everything though.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I started using neem oil last year. Jury is still out, but it'll never be as good as a dusting with sevin. Hate to kill everything though.
    My buddy uses seven every now and then, but is like me with trying to be 100% organic. Weird thing is, i have no problems with the garden out back. I don't think i even pulled a mator worm off last year.

Edit: isn't the neem oil the stuff used for tomato worm that mskes them think they have eaten and starve to death??

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My buddy uses seven every now and then, but is like me with trying to be 100% organic. Weird thing is, i have no problems with the garden out back. I don't think i even pulled a mator worm off last year.

Edit: isn't the neem oil the stuff used for tomato worm that mskes them think they have eaten and starve to death??
    I don't know about it with tomato worms. I rarely get them and when I do, they get plucked and put in the fly-thru bird feeder.

It is supposed to jack up the lifecycle activities of insects, which includes feeding and reproducing. You're supposed to use it everyday in the early morning and in the late evening so pollinators don't get into it, but I regularly miss my windows to apply it due to work/family commitments. That might be part of my reason for being underwhelmed.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We use neem oil and it didn't seem to do much on these asparagus beetles.

I was tempted to use sevin last year on them but decided against it. I thought cleaning it up good before winter would work because they wouldn't have a place to winter over. I'm sure the mild winter didn't help, but they are already present.

Maybe I'll dust it now that everything is cut back again. :dunno:

Top Bottom