• ...and so much more!
  • dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I was in Gander Mountain the other day looking to see if I could find some .380's with no luck. I asked if they had any and they said "No we only get a few boxes when they come in, and then their gone." Then I saw a guy buy a gun from them and after his purchase he was asked how much ammo he would like to buy. They said they had .380's,9mm,.40,etc. and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The guy asked how much they had and they said as many as he wanted because he bought a gun from them. Doesn't seem right. Are there anymore gun shops doing this?? Just wandering.:xmad:

Last edited:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    A lot of gun stores are doing it. Hard to sell a gun if you can't sell them ammo to go with it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have not personally witnessed this, but have read other threads with similar posts.

I can't hardly blame the dealers, as it is harder to sell guns without being able to offer some ammo to go with it.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I just don't think they should turn a customer away and lie to them. I understand if they keep a few boxes per gun but all of it is not right.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just don't think they should turn a customer away and lie to them. I understand if they keep a few boxes per gun but all of it is not right.

I have to agree, they should not lie. What the sales person should have done is tell you that, "yes we have some, but it is currently being saved for our customers that are buying firearms". We will have more in on Thursday.

But if they did that, how many customers do think would be understanding and not get irate?
    It's too bad that it has come to this, but as it has been discussed in numerous threads, the ammo "flippers" are part of the problem.
    I have not looked, but there may be some in the classifieds, but most likely more than retail.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    The prices at the distributors are still around the same as they were, it's just plain gouging.

Say what you want about Wal-Mart but if they increased prices, it was passed on from the manufacturer level.

I'm also not impressed by what the LGS's have to offer. Now when they get stuff in, it's all Tacticool stuff. Maybe I'm at max for my tacticool stuff, and would like to browse for other types of firearms.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was told by a Gander employee to stop in on Thursday morning if I wanted ammo. I went past there before opening time and there was a line of guys wanting to get dibs on ammo. This is silly. I went on my way. If we keep voting in the same kind of leadership that is disgracing our country currently, we will be lining up like that for a chance at a bowl of soup.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A perfectly understandable policy on the store's part, but they should have been upfront with you about it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was told by a Gander employee to stop in on Thursday morning if I wanted ammo. I went past there before opening time and there was a line of guys wanting to get dibs on ammo. This is silly. I went on my way. If we keep voting in the same kind of leadership that is disgracing our country currently, we will be lining up like that for a chance at a bowl of soup.
    Either that or there will be "soup flippers" buying up all the Campbell's and Progresso as soon as it's delivered to the grocery stores and selling it for 300% markup in the classifieds... Hmmm... I wonder if the "soupbroker.com" or "soupslist.com" domain names are taken yet...

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI

Would you have rather he said "ya, we got some, but I'm not going to sell it to you"

Me thinks you would start a thread complaining about that too...

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I fear things like this are the new "normal."

Ammo is never going to return as long as this stampeding after every box of 9mm and .22 continues. I would have imagined things would have calmed by now...... I was wrong.

And in the news I see New Jersey and California passing stricter gun control; while that may not be us today, I still think it affects the mood of the entire country.

And who knows when the next exploitable mass tragedy involving a madman and a firearm will occur? It will be played to the hilt again, rest assured, and the panic cycle starts anew. Again.

But hopefully; maybe by fall I can walk into a store and find ammunition without an extended search? Hopefully?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So far I've only seen it with .22.

For what its worth, I've usually been able to find any caliber I want in the Indy area, and at reasonable prices. Indy Trading Post had a ton of ammo in yesterday, .223, 7.62, all common handgun calibers. I didn't "that guy" and suck up the 7.62 since I still have plenty, but they had thousands of rounds.

US Defense Solutions in Greenwood has .22, I think. Beech Grove Firearms does as well, but its pricey there, about $6/box.

Top Bottom