• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They're both virtually identical in size and form factor. One has a slightly different grip angle from the other. They are both reliable. One is a Glock and is easier to get parts and service for (especially after market). The other is an XD and has some safety features that the Glock doesn't (grip safety for example). You'll have a hard time going wrong with either one.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Scutter said it great. Just which ever one you like the best. I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer to this question. I have a XD9sc and it has been trouble free, goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. I am sure a G26 would do the same thing.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd like whichever one I had more experience with. I've had Glocks for a long, long time so I'd edge towards the G26, but my dad was an MP and has been a 1911 guy for years, so he likes the XD..

All in what you like!

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've had Glocks for a long, long time so I'd edge towards the G26

Watch out glass man will be along to label you a....

koolaidergh2.jpg

Koolaid drinker! ;)

Go with the Glock 26, once the XD/XD mags get dirty the gun is FUBAR'd -

XD has a crappy trigger and IMO a needless grip safety. BUT to each his own....

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, I can't change what was issued in the past, well before the XD was available.. my first honorary handgun was a G17, as that's what was issued to the office I worked under and while I wasn't employed by them, I decided that I ought to be carrying the same thing they did..

Looks like I may be moving towards a .40 soon, though..

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've carried a G26 for nearly a year now, I love it. Great little gun, as already mentioned, there's a slew of parts and accessories available for it as it is a Glock. I'm sure there's still quite a few for the XD as well, but likely not as many choices. Some people prefer Glocks over XD's and XD's over Glocks for all sorts of reasons, which either group will likely argue to the death. You really can't go wrong with either gun, that choice will largely be a matter of personal preference. Go somewhere that sells both, see which one is more comfortable to you, that's the most important thing when you're buying a gun. If you're not comfortable with it, there's no point in buying it.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not biased at all! :):

I am biased, but I have owned/fired many models of XDs and Glocks

Glocks worked better for me, so again to each his own -

If the XDs work well for other people - good for them.

ETA: I'd take a look at HK P2000sk AND I know it's not a true subcompact but a Sig P250 might be worth checking out also

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    +1 - shoot them both, too.. I like how a 1911 feels in my hand, but I don't like the way it shoots.. which isn't a reason not to have it, now, don't get me wrong :P

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I have an XDSC9 with some customization from Springfield - combat carry package with XS big dot sights. It is one of a couple of weapons I will never part with. Accurate and reliable. I have never shot a Glock and have no opinion on them. The XD is a beauty.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I have an XD9sc and love it. I shot both the glock and the springfield before making my purchase and the springfield just "felt better" in my hands than the glock. Also, I'm a big guy and have big hands and the grip on the glock was just too darn short for me to grip effectively. With the short mags in the XD my pinky still doesnt fit on the grip, but at least it can grip the bottom of the magazine.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go g26, seem to be able to find them super cheap.

Mine goes everywhere with me and is easily concealable for me.

10rd mags with +2 mag extensions(which are really +3's in 9mm if you use the newer style) so 13 + 1 rds in a subcompact. Good firepower vs size of weapon.

Bad:
    the grip sucks if you use just the 10rd mags with no extension. I could hardly hold it like that.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I shot Scutter's SC-XD, and Spasmo's G26 at Atterbury last summer.
    Both should be fine. The Glock feels less top heavy. but other than that they're pretty similar. Since I carry a G19. I'll likely get a 26 to carry as a BUG sometime later.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I shot Scutter's SC-XD, and Spasmo's G26 at Atterbury last summer.
    Both should be fine. The Glock feels less top heavy. but other than that they're pretty similar. Since I carry a G19. I'll likely get a 26 to carry as a BUG sometime later.

the top heavy feeling and the unpleasant snap made me get rid of my xd40sc, for a g33.....to me personally, for the same money, go with the g26. You'll be happy

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    XD has a crappy trigger and IMO a needless grip safety. BUT to each his own....

I would disagree with the assessment that the grip safety is extraneous.

Since the XD is at full cock, a sear failure (bump or drop) could lead to an AD if the firing pin block also failed, thus the grip safety.

Whether the Glock would AD from a bump, and if there is enough energy from its half-cocked stiker to light the primer, I don't know (assuming the firing pin block also failed).

In the safety business (I used to design electronic controls for gas appliances, where failure could mean you house or RV blows up) we talk about "two fault tolerance" meaning if any two components fail is it still safe? This is especially critical when the failure is "dormant" meaning that from the outside looking you can't tell that the failure has occued and the device seems to be operating normally.

(Which is why I wonder if the half cocked sticker on the glock is drop safe in the absense of the firing pin block safety, it would seem the that the half-cocked striker is the backup safety to the firing pin block, just as the XD grip safety is the backup to the firing pin block safety.)

In both the Glock and the XD the failure of the firing pin block has the potential to be a dormant failure (i.e. the gun will still run without it). The XD has a fully cocked striker and without the grip safety we are one failure away (the pistol being dropped) from and AD.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I won't argue that the XD is slightly more top-heavy than the Glock, but the grip angle makes it much more comfortable for me. As for the grip safety, I'm not really sure why it's an issue for people. It requires exactly no work to disengage. It's completely unobtrusive.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As for the grip safety, I'm not really sure why it's an issue for people. It requires exactly no work to disengage. It's completely unobtrusive.

Not completely; I've failed to activate the grip safety on a number of occasions when handling XDs at the shop. Every time it happens, I can't help but think "That could've gotten me killed on the street."

I also have several philosophical issues with grip safeties in general, but this may not be the appropriate thread for that rant. ;)

Glocks just work better for me on several levels (yes, I've shot the XDs; even owned one very briefly), so my choice would be (and is) the G26/27.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not completely; I've failed to activate the grip safety on a number of occasions when handling XDs at the shop. Every time it happens, I can't help but think "That could've gotten me killed on the street."

I also have several philosophical issues with grip safeties in general, but this may not be the appropriate thread for that rant. ;)

Interesting. I've never had mine fail to disengage for me, but in all fairness, you probably handle a lot more XD's than I do. I just have my own. Definitely something to think about.

Top Bottom