• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Oh I see what you did there... sorry I didn't read the original Glock 14 post. Just disregard my last post. Thanks!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ok, I don't know much about glocks, but I've taken a couple for test drives recently and am contemplating giving them a try for competition use. I admit I'm slow, but amongst all the noise on here I'm having trouble drawing a conclusion on the gen 4 changes. In a nutshell, are the gen 4s 9mms, with the changes/updates in place, generally considered at least as reliable/durable as the gen 3s? Is it the consensus that the kinks have been worked out? Any evidence out there from shooters who've already put 10k+ through one yet?
    Thanks,
    -rvb

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    RVB, I don't know of anyone yet who's put that many 9mm rounds downrange yet in a Gen4 with the newer recoil spring it it. I will assume that the newer guns will have this change in place and Team Glock will put them through their own tests.

Either way, I know Jaeger an others are already making custom captured guide rods:
    JAGER PRODUCTS INC

but Sevigny and Vogel pretty much run them stock, with the exception of changing a couple of springs to suit them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    RVB, I don't know of anyone yet who's put that many 9mm rounds downrange yet in a Gen4 with the newer recoil spring it it.

I was going to type that I find that surprising, but maybe not since the 34s have not yet been changed and that's what most of the competition crowd is using.

Hopefully we know more before winter....

-rvb

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    glocks having a problem...hard to believe...but now there just like all others...things can happen...nice to know not all is perfect....I was wondrering....

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    About 700 rounds with my G17 4th Gen, and no problems to report. All factory parts. All brands of ammo: Blazers, Winchesters, Federals, and Remingtons.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have one of the early Gen4 17's with the "too heavy" recoil spring ass'y. Just called Glock and their quote was they "gambled" on using the same spring for the .40 S&W and 9mm, and were very happy to send out the new part for me. Top-notch customer service, for sure.

FYI, I was told the new Gen4 9mm-specific part has "02" stamped on it if anyone wants to check theirs out.

THEMACHINE1975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    I have about 300 Rds. through my 17 Gen 4, 2 FTF on the first mag full of Winchester White Box, flawless from there on out. It's just like any other heavier springed handgun, if you have the slighest limp wrist, weak grip, or poor grip technique, then it may FTF. I have a Springfield TRP that FTF's in the hands of a couple friends of mine, as well as my Glock 21SF and 17 Gen 4. I have never had a problem once with the TRP or 21SF, and like I said, none after initial break-in with the 17 Gen 4. The best thing about the 17 Gen 4 is that it feels like a Pea Shooter as far as recoil. Plus, it is common knowledge that Glock has offered to sned old Dual Spring Guide Rods to any Gen 4 owner with issues with the new style Guide Rod.

I get very irritated with people who get all snotty about Glock issues. If it wasn't for their super reliable reputation, then it wouldn't be the target of scrutiny and sarcasm. No one ever attacks the guy with the Taurus Semi-Auto, because past issue with their product has been very prevalent. But when you have a Glock mishap, it seems some joker wants to make a big deal out of it and try to rub your face in it. Before I owned Glocks, I was a Glock Hater. Then I grew up, bought 4 of them in a row. Couldn't be happier.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I get very irritated with people who get all snotty about Glock issues. If it wasn't for their super reliable reputation, then it wouldn't be the target of scrutiny and sarcasm. No one ever attacks the guy with the Taurus Semi-Auto, because past issue with their product has been very prevalent. But when you have a Glock mishap, it seems some joker wants to make a big deal out of it and try to rub your face in it. Before I owned Glocks, I was a Glock Hater. Then I grew up, bought 4 of them in a row. Couldn't be happier.

Best first post ever! :D

:yesway:

:+1:

Top Bottom