• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yes, they have leeway in what they can carry, and many may carry a 1911, but I'm not seeing any evidence that those are issued, specifically a double stack para, a gun that is not known for reliability.

Sorry, I had misspoke, I was not aware of what they were issued, just what they carried. My apologies on the misunderstanding. Granted, this was also between 2005-08, so, not sure what they were actually issued then. Just remember working with them, and the US Marshals a time or two, and everytime I was impressed with their professionalism, and their work ethics. Worked with a couple other agencies that I wont mention, but they made me glad that I never ended up trying to work with them, cause I about lost hair trying to DEAL with them, and they were on my side.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    May have been a few guys following the lead of the FBI HRT, who as I recall issued Les Bear customized double stack paras for a couple years in the lay 90's before they got sick of them jamming and replaced them with single stack Springfield's. That is the only agency I know of that issued them, and they didn't do it for long.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, but none of them work, because they weren't designed that way.[/quot

I have owned several double stack Para's and still have 2. They are among my favorite shooters. Both run just fine. I have 20 rd. mags for them as well. They are a real hoot and have as yet caused no issue. I have heard of folks having issue with these pieces but it usually works out to be owner operator error of some kind. Where are you getting your info. Just curious.

I find that if you like something you will stick with it no matter what. I have owned 1 1911 that did cause me some problems. It was a cheap piece and I ran a "zillion" rds. through it and a lot of those were +P. Turns out it did not stand up to the beating I administered to it and it failed. My fault. Lesson learned as you get what you pay for.
    Every other 1911 I have owned has been a joy to shoot. Every piece of plastic I have owned has been a hoot to shoot as well. I just like my steel.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tried?

Yeah, I "tried" a 1911. It's a good thing someone designed a better pistol. I'm not a target shooter, and that's all 1911s are good for. It lacks considerably as a defensive and combat weapon, IMHO.

You seem to be a bit miffed with the 1911. Yes, no one weapon covers all aspects of everyone's needs and or expectations. I have plastic and it functions well as designed it is just not what I like to shoot all the time. The triggers suck compared to the 1911. That is fact, not fiction. Yes, the triggers can be worked over and made better but even then they do not measure up to the "Target shooter" as you describe it. With all of the combat the target guns (really) have seen how can you say they are lacking. I have 2 uncles that would disagree with that statement with extreme prejudice. Round count...be a good shot for Christ sake. High maintenance, a myth brought on by well worn or worn out military pieces being handed out and not living up to expectations. Too heavy, maybe but wear some suspenders or loose some weight.
    As stated before, if you like something you will stay with it and defend your choice. A very good friend is a Glock armorer. He carries 2 of them most times. He knows them inside and out. he is a really good shot with them as would be expected. His "Favorite" hand gun, yeah, a 1911. They are akin to Harley's as you just want to work on them. It is the desire of the tinkerer.
    And the final thing, Glocks are a bit homely, Yes.
    No flame throwers or hate slinging. We all have our favorite's and we spend our time, money and efforts in and on those pieces.
    One more bit if I may, no one has designed a "Better" pistol at least not yet. That is JMHO......enjoy.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You seem to be a bit miffed with the 1911. Yes, no one weapon covers all aspects of everyone's needs and or expectations. I have plastic and it functions well as designed it is just not what I like to shoot all the time. The triggers suck compared to the 1911. That is fact, not fiction. Yes, the triggers can be worked over and made better but even then they do not measure up to the "Target shooter" as you describe it. With all of the combat the target guns (really) have seen how can you say they are lacking. I have 2 uncles that would disagree with that statement with extreme prejudice. Round count...be a good shot for Christ sake. High maintenance, a myth brought on by well worn or worn out military pieces being handed out and not living up to expectations. Too heavy, maybe but wear some suspenders or loose some weight.
    As stated before, if you like something you will stay with it and defend your choice. A very good friend is a Glock armorer. He carries 2 of them most times. He knows them inside and out. he is a really good shot with them as would be expected. His "Favorite" hand gun, yeah, a 1911. They are akin to Harley's as you just want to work on them. It is the desire of the tinkerer.
    And the final thing, Glocks are a bit homely, Yes.
    No flame throwers or hate slinging. We all have our favorite's and we spend our time, money and efforts in and on those pieces.
    One more bit if I may, no one has designed a "Better" pistol at least not yet. That is JMHO......enjoy.

Good points. I disagree, though. I hate working on 1911s. I really don't like SA pistols at all. I would love the 1911 if it was DAO, and had a tilting barrel breech lock. The overall design, cosmetically, is beautiful. However, it's what's inside that matters most to me. I shoot much better with my Glock than anything I've ever shot. A 1911 at the same level as a Glock would cost over $1000.

I guess it also doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the .45 ACP, and most 1911s are chambered in it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Kawtech87 must be drinking some good kool-aid

Same kind I'm drinking. :rockwoot: I'll keep my CZ, you guys fight about your pesky little "Glicks" and "1191's" or whatever.

:D :yesway: A :cheers: with the CZ :koolaid: My friend. My P-01 is my favorite pistol.

Dont get me wrong though I own 2 1911s and a Glock 19 also.

(how else did you think I know CZ is better than both? ;))

Given the choice between only my Colt 1911 or my Glock for a SHTF scenario, then I must admit, I would take my Glock ONLY bc I have 3, 33rnd mags and 3 15rnd mags loaded and ready to go.

In any other scenario the 1911 is my choice between the two.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Good points. I disagree, though. I hate working on 1911s. I really don't like SA pistols at all. I would love the 1911 if it was DAO, and had a tilting barrel breech lock. The overall design, cosmetically, is beautiful. However, it's what's inside that matters most to me. I shoot much better with my Glock than anything I've ever shot. A 1911 at the same level as a Glock would cost over $1000.

I guess it also doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the .45 ACP, and most 1911s are chambered in it.

I have seen some 1911s chambered in other calibers, as well as I had read about a 1911 that was DAO, and was in i believe either 9 or 38 Super. They have others out there, and they are still 1911s, just not the one and only 45. Granted, if I remember correctly, the DAO 1911 was still just under a 1k, but its been awhile since I have read that gun mag, and as most of my literature is still in storage waiting my next move. :twocents: Just like most the other "modern" pistols out there, if you want something, there is a group of others out there will be interested in it as well.
    Here is a 9mm Kimber that is about what we talked about, although its a lot smaller, more like a concealed,
    Kimber America | Solo 9 mm Pistols

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

First Glock I was involved with was chambered in .40 and I was amazed at how easily it came back on point with the lack of secondary recoil from the slide hitting the stop. The lighter slide offered up so much more control. It was a pleasant piece to shoot. The next one was 9mm and it just never ever got my adrenaline up when shooting it. I have never been a fan of the 9mm and before anyone throws a brick at me, I do not want to be shot by one either. It is just not for me. Again, what we like or do not like. The triggers are not for me either. I understand the DA over SA and agree to a point.
    My daughter has latched onto the .40 as her significant other has a .40 as well. The one ammo thing. She does well with it but if my Springer Trophy is out and available, she snags it up and I do not see it again until it is time to clean the guns.
    All that aside I must be a recoil junky. I do very well with the recoil and apparently love it. My DOA H&K USP (.45 ACP) has the same trigger as the glock and it takes a few mags for me to get on point with it. To much take up for my rock ape shooting style.
    I started with a 1911 at 12 and after shooting them for 50 years, well, Nuff said.
    Run what ya brung, just run it well.....................:draw:

Last edited:

potbelly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Wow 12 pages of discussion. You guys sure are passionate about this one. Both are damn fine weapons. I just can't choose one over the other.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wow 12 pages of discussion. You guys sure are passionate about this one. Both are damn fine weapons. I just can't choose one over the other.

Then choose CZ or Sig and side step the whole damned argument. You could also throw S&W M&P in there or SA XDM but to me all plastic striker guns are lumped in with Glock as that is what they are all trying to be anyway.

Its a pointless argument where no one on either side ever really gains or looses ground.

Kinda like an OC vs CC thread.

I love my 1911, I also love my Glock. I dont get the argument as both are, as Potbelly said, damn fine weapons.

:ingo:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is why I stick fairly close to Springfield and it's offerings (5). I know what to expect from them. A few Para's for the high cap thing, a glock...an H&K...a Taurus 24/7 tactical (say what you will but this is an OK gun) 2 Sigs (Kawtech I admit it) Some neat wheel guns and so on. They all run like they should.

scouter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    I've waded through 12 pages of 1911 v Glock and you guys still didn't get it right. Remember WHEEL GUNS ARE REAL GUNS. S&W revolvers work every time. Really I'd go with steel and wood any day but a Glock ain't bad

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I'll see your Glock, and raise you a set of KNUCKLES! Metal > Plastic.

M1911A1-Knuckles-1911-Pistol.jpg

Top Bottom