• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I want a fun gun for the range, I have done multiple 10/22 tactical conversions and I have liked them, just want something different.

I have been looking into the M&P 15-22 and have found the MOE version for under $500 out the door. At the same time I don't know if I could justify $500 on that when I could put $500 into a 10/22 and maybe get more out of it.

If I go the 10/22 route it will not be a tactical conversion, but more of a target rifle.

What do you guys/gals think? Is a 15-22 worth $500 for some cheap ammo range time or would you go for an accurate range gun in a precision 10/22?

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    thumperdogg,
    I have personally shot the 15-22 and it is a fun shooter. If you can afford to shell out the $500 for a new one or maybe find a used one, it is worth the money. They are accurate and seem to be pretty reliable shooters. I shot a couple hundred rounds through one and absolutely loved it. If you can justify it, I would say go for it. Hope this helps.

Cash is not the issue, value is. I love the 22 platform for a million and a half reasons! I always buy the big caliber rifles and shoot them until they make me go broke, so I want a 22 so I can buy a few brick of Federal and satisfy my urge whenever! I have just never shot a 15-22 and didn't know how much better it is than a Mossberg look a like (tons I am sure) 10/22's have always been good to me, but I want something different and I feel like the 15-22 is it!

Thanks for the good perspective, it frees my mind a little!

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Both

I have had both the 15-22 and the 10/22. The Ruger platform is the only one that continually stays in my possession. I had 2 of the 15-22's and while fun to shoot I was just never as happy with them as I am with my Ruger's.

The one nice thing about the 15-22 is that if you own an AR and have a specific trigger in it then you can install the same trigger into the 15-22. You can make it close to your AR but it will never weigh or feel the same.

The 10/22 gives you a lot more option on what or how you want the gun to look like.

You could not pay me enough to even consider buying one of the Mossberg Tactical .22's :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Both

I have both. Wouldn't get rid of other. I do lean more toward the 10/22 though. I have a stock 10/22 with just the stock upgraded.
    I am looking at getting a fully customized one later this year. Probably would never do that with the 15-22.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    10/22 hands down.

I've owned both and the 10/22 stays in the stable while the 15-22 went bye bye. The 15-22 just felt too much like a toy to me while my 10/22 was one of my project guns that turned into a minute of a gnats As* shooter.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Im a big fan of the 10/22!
    You can pretty much build just about anything you could imagine out of one!
    From a tactical plinker, to a bench gun they are nothing but reliable and fun!

I guess it all depends how deep your wallet is when it comes to customizing, but my vote...10/22!

dnewton3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Indy area
    I have both, and like them very much.

I had a recent issue with the M&P15-22 bolt; apparently not alone on this either ...
    The extractor, pin and spring fell out. Don't know where or when, but you'll discover this in short order because extraction will become very spotty and you'll get a lot of stove-pipe, FTE, etc. I was ouside when it happend, so there is zero hope of finding the parts in the grass/weeds.

The upside is that S&W has agreed to warrant the parts; great.
    The downside is that I have to send the entire rifle back, trusting FedEX to find my house TWICE (once to send the shipping label; once to return the rifle) and I live in the middle of nowhere ...
    Why I cannot send only the bolt back is beyond me.

The 15-22 has been flawless up to this point and one of my very favorite guns to shoot. I've got probably 35k rounds through it (we shoot .22 a LOT due to cost). It's more accurate out of the box, and has that enjoyable "black gun" look/feel.
    The 10-22 has been very reliable. The aftermarket support for this gun is beyond comprehension; if you cannot find a part, you're not looking hard enough.

Can't go wrong with either, except for the bolt issue with the M&P, and it does not happen to all guns; just some of them.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have a MOE 15-22 and two 10/22s (one set up as a target gun and one is waiting on an M1 carbine stock and accessories). I'm going to be no help whatsoever because I love them all. I probably put more rounds through the 15-22 on a normal basis, but that's kind of the nature of a wannabe AR as opposed to a target gun though. Don't plan on getting rid of any of them. I like the 15-22 better than the AR style 10/22s though. Guess it comes down to whether you wanna go tactical again or want to go target.

See, I told you that I wouldn't beany help.

Top Bottom