• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    That's right. Sign up for both days on April 16th and 17th, and you can take your centerfire to Atterbury on Sunday and shoot AQTs at full distance. Camp Atterbury is an active training facility so there are a few caveats,

- Attendees must not carry side arms or have sidearms in their possession.
    - All attendees must send their name, date of birth, and address to IN@Appleseedinfo.org one week in advance to participate. Information will be provided to security at the main gate.
    - Attendees must sign up for two days, April 16th and 17th 2011, and must attend the Saturday event prior to attending Sunday at Atterbury. No requirement on which Saturday event they attend.
    - There is a limit to the number of vehicles on the range line. Participants must be prepared to carry their rifle, mat, and ammunition when needed.
    - This is a active military installation and military training takes precedence over all other activities. This event can be canceled as late as April 15th at 2pm. Local SBs will know Saturday morning if the event is canceled.
 A alternate date of May 22nd 2011 has been scheduled.
    - Bacon provided for Riflemen...

This will be a trial run, and if successful, we will see more full distance shoots on the Atterbury range. Let's fill the lines across Indiana and if you have a M1, M1a, AR, or any other centerfire, this is your chance to see what you and your rifle are capable of.

Watch the schedule!

YHJ

Bubba

Expert
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    We're gonna hit what? At how far?!
    IMG_20101117_144806.jpg

YES WE CAN!

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Is the "V" ring 4MOA?

Nope. Well, rather, it would be 4 MOA at 125 yards, as it's a 5 inch circle. But we're not shooting at 125 yards. :D

For Stage 1, standing at 100 yards, the V is a little more than 4 MOA. For Stage 2, transition to seated at 200 yards, it's less.

The secret: 1 MOA = 1 inch per 100 yards

Uh oh - have I given too much away already? :):

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    You guys really should merge all these Atterbury threads (for April 17th) ... I'm getting confused trying to figure out where I'm posting my questions. :n00b:

Got a few more questions for you ... Indianapolis is one hour ahead of NWI, correct? How far west does that time change go? What about Cloverdale where I am doing my Sat (April 16) shoot? Thanks.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    You guys really should merge all these Atterbury threads (for April 17th) ... I'm getting confused trying to figure out where I'm posting my questions. :n00b:

Got a few more questions for you ... Indianapolis is one hour ahead of NWI, correct? How far west does that time change go? What about Cloverdale where I am doing my Sat (April 16) shoot? Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion - we just wanna make sure EVERYBODY knows about it. :D

Indianapolis and Cloverdale are both on EST - one hour ahead of the bulk of NWI.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks ... trying to get all my ducks in a row (scheduling, equipment, transport, lodging, etc.). I don't want any surprises.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Does it make sense to use a Bolt Action for this event?
    Bolt actions are great. It may take a little more practice to do everything you need to in the time limit, but it comes down to how familiar you are with your rifle. A rifle with a removable magazine is more critical than semi-auto versus bolt-action. I've seen someone shoot rifleman on a full distance AQT with a bolt action.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    More questions about Sunday....

What will the requirements be for movement between firing lines? Rifles slung? cased? Can I assume that this will be military style where you eat whenever and wherever you can ... the shooting must go on? Will you (instructors) need spotting scopes/binoculars?

I know that "no sidearms in your possession" means while at the shoot and walking about (at a minimum). How about locked in your vehicle before arrival?

WRWIII

Plinker
    Apr 25, 2008
    LOFS
    I will be posting a recommended list of preparations for this event before the weekend is out. One thing on that list is that your centerfire rifle be zeroed for 25 meters, or even better, for 200 yds. However, any KNOWN zero for the rifle/ammo combination will be useful if an opportunity doesn't exist for zeroing between now and then.

To answer the immediate questions:

Rifles will move in the same manner that they do at any Appleseed event, cleared and cased, if no case, then muzzle up. The back of my truck will be cleared out as well for assistance in moving both equipment and people.

There will be a designated time for lunch and history. Please bring what you need for food as leaving base for lunch will not be the best option.

Camp Atterbury's policy is that you are not to bring firearms on base. It is up to you to follow that policy. For civilian activities on the ranges, an exception is made for the firearms intended for the activities.

- Bill 3

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    WildDuce, I can bring an extra rifle hard case if it helps (or prevents you having to buy one just for the event). I'll be at Atlanta on Sat. and Atterbury on Sun. If you want to borrow it it would be BEST to get it to you prior so you are not handling your rifle outside of the case at the range. I could meet you prior to entering the base.

WRWIII

Plinker
    Apr 25, 2008
    LOFS
    I could meet you prior to entering the base.

Please keep in mind that the physical border begins approx. 950 yds west of Route 31 on Old Hospital Rd. (E 800 S) Well before you turn in to the gate.

I'm might be stating the obvious here but .......

- Bill 3

Top Bottom