• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Yes, that's how it was described in the course description. Shotgunners have to adapt sometimes to make it through a stage in 30 seconds. Since shotgun magazines are ON the gun, it would be very time consuming to load from an empty gun. As long as every shooter does it the same way, then we're alright.

I see. Thanks for the info.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Is that a challenge????? :D

That's a noon in the town square challenge....

DSCN0218.jpg

Irishcs05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Carmel
    Course consistency

Yes, that's how it was described in the course description. Shotgunners have to adapt sometimes to make it through a stage in 30 seconds. Since shotgun magazines are ON the gun, it would be very time consuming to load from an empty gun. As long as every shooter does it the same way, then we're alright.

I shot shotgun that night and loaded the shotgun upon the start signal to complete the stage as described. If shotgun shooters are not required to load upon the signal on similar stages in the future it should be noted in the course description to make sure it's consistent among all groups (just like .22's that won't drop the poppers.)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I shot shotgun that night and loaded the shotgun upon the start signal to complete the stage as described. If shotgun shooters are not required to load upon the signal on similar stages in the future it should be noted in the course description to make sure it's consistent among all groups (just like .22's that won't drop the poppers.)

I agree and will bring this up before the next shoot.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not to steal any of Nick's thunder or any shotgunner at FNS but did you guys start with an empty gun at stage one? I got to break out my zombie smashing 870 next month!
    We have done that in the past. 15 seconds of loading 3 seconds of shooting. Or a stage with 12 shots or more, you are doing some loading.

Personally, I would like to see a single stage shotgun and/or carbine side match in the middle. Shoot the normal FNS course and at some point stroll over and shoot the optional shotgun stage.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shotgun / PCR Side Match

We have done that in the past. 15 seconds of loading 3 seconds of shooting. Or a stage with 12 shots or more, you are doing some loading.

Personally, I would like to see a single stage shotgun and/or carbine side match in the middle. Shoot the normal FNS course and at some point stroll over and shoot the optional shotgun stage.

Zoub,
    We've tried having side matches in the past, but the idea never really took root. We can't slow down the existing FNS match, or we'll limit the number of participants. When we tried to have the side match after FNS, we didn't get much participation and the match drug on later than we'd like. After that, we decided not to have a side match in order to focus on making the existing FNS match as good as possible.
    It's not a bad idea at all, but I think it would be better to have a match focused on shotgun or PCR specifically, rather than trying to make FNS all things to all people. If we had enough volunteer support from people outside the existing FNS match directors / range officers, this might be a possibility. It would be a good thing to discuss at the next MCFG board meeting if you would like to pursue it.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If there was availability and interest, I'd participate in a Tues, Wed, Thurs night Shotgun Steel match. I don't even have a usable scattergun or the knowledge to use one effectively. However, I'd be more than happy to bring a pile of ammo and willingness to learn.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Zoub,
    We've tried having side matches in the past, but the idea never really took root. We can't slow down the existing FNS match, or we'll limit the number of participants. When we tried to have the side match after FNS, we didn't get much participation and the match drug on later than we'd like. After that, we decided not to have a side match in order to focus on making the existing FNS match as good as possible.
    It's not a bad idea at all, but I think it would be better to have a match focused on shotgun or PCR specifically, rather than trying to make FNS all things to all people. If we had enough volunteer support from people outside the existing FNS match directors / range officers, this might be a possibility. It would be a good thing to discuss at the next MCFG board meeting if you would like to pursue it.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck
    I work a fairly weird schedule right now, but when is the next board meeting? I would happy to come talk about it. FYI I am not a member.

Let me toss out a brief idea of what I was thinking for FNS so you can hear what I am thinking, keeping in mind this is the internet so it is a one way dialogue here.

Priority one, keep FNS moving, I agree on that.

Position it in the center of the range. A single stage, shooter shoots it once. This helps prevent any bottle neck. Shooter comes over and signs up to shoot when he or she can, no squads. There is plenty of down time per shooter at FNS. The goal is to offer people an opportunity to shoot it. I doubt the majority would shoot it but you never know. 1 person could RO it, just like running a trap pad.

From a shotugn perspective, a person can bring a single box of ammo and get through it. Walk over and use their own shotgun or even borrow one of my 870's or a gun or two provided by other sources like tacticalshotgunner.com.

PCR, bring your own. That is more involved.

Again, my thought is to keep it simple, no bottleneck for FNS, provide opportunity for shooters to try shotgun without a full on course of fire. I coud RO it alone. If the interest grew from there, then see what comes next.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If there was availability and interest, I'd participate in a Tues, Wed, Thurs night Shotgun Steel match. I don't even have a usable scattergun or the knowledge to use one effectively. However, I'd be more than happy to bring a pile of ammo and willingness to learn.
    Martinsville club, we do some great shotgun practice there on our own. I meant to mention that too you last FNS. Pretty soon we will be having the first annual "Ghandi Hope and Change Peace Shoot"

That reminds me, I need to get some rebar and head to a friends house.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I work a fairly weird schedule right now, but when is the next board meeting? I would happy to come talk about it. FYI I am not a member.

Let me toss out a brief idea of what I was thinking for FNS so you can hear what I am thinking, keeping in mind this is the internet so it is a one way dialogue here.

Priority one, keep FNS moving, I agree on that.

Position it in the center of the range. A single stage, shooter shoots it once. This helps prevent any bottle neck. Shooter comes over and signs up to shoot when he or she can, no squads. There is plenty of down time per shooter at FNS. The goal is to offer people an opportunity to shoot it. I doubt the majority would shoot it but you never know. 1 person could RO it, just like running a trap pad.

From a shotugn perspective, a person can bring a single box of ammo and get through it. Walk over and use their own shotgun or even borrow one of my 870's or a gun or two provided by other sources like tacticalshotgunner.com.

PCR, bring your own. That is more involved.

Again, my thought is to keep it simple, no bottleneck for FNS, provide opportunity for shooters to try shotgun without a full on course of fire. I coud RO it alone. If the interest grew from there, then see what comes next.

Zoub,
    Let's talk about this at the next FNS match so that I can visualize what you're saying. Have a good month, and I'll see you then.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I don't want to change FNS maybe just better descriptions on stages that involve loading before you start you could just give example like shotguns start with tube full and chamber open. And .22s just hit plate do not have to knock over. My group had .22 in it and we agreed that on the plate rack the plates had to fall, but by the time we got to the poppers we had changed that rule. This could give our group an advantage if noone else did this. I know there are no prizes and it is all in fun and good training but we should standerdize the rules a little. By the way I will R O if needed, just ask.

Top Bottom