• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can you freeze Mre's without hurting them?

I see the lower the temperature they are stored at, the longer they will last, but can they be frozen?

I was thinking of sealing them in a large, airtight ammo can, and storing them in the garage.

Good or bad idea?

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I don't know about freezing them but just keeping them in a cool dry place is fine. I keep mine stored in a box in the garage and they have all been fine. Just don't put them in the attic or on the dashboard of your truck and they should be fine. They were made for the extra long shelf life.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't know about freezing them but just keeping them in a cool dry place is fine. I keep mine stored in a box in the garage and they have all been fine. Just don't put them in the attic or on the dashboard of your truck and they should be fine. They were made for the extra long shelf life.

My garage is DETACHED, and UNHEATED!

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    If it gets smoking hot in the summer I wouldn't recommend it but now that I think of it I would imagine that mine have froze a couple times cause they were in a detached garage and it was not heated. Never hurt any of them though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If it gets smoking hot in the summer I wouldn't recommend it but now that I think of it I would imagine that mine have froze a couple times cause they were in a detached garage and it was not heated. Never hurt any of them though.

That's what I wanted to hear! I can bring them back in the house after winter
    I just thought the cooler temps. would be better for them.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I've had a few mre's that were frozen before. It didn't seem to hurt me or them. They tasted a little different. If I'm not mistaken they don't have much if any water in them. It's part of what keeps them so fresh for so long.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had a few mre's that were frozen before. It didn't seem to hurt me or them. They tasted a little different. If I'm not mistaken they don't have much if any water in them. It's part of what keeps them so fresh for so long.

Good to hear.

My only experience has been with C-Rations. I know, that kinda dates me.
    I don't care!

I ate some C-rations back in 1978 that were canned (according to the date stamp on the cans) back in 1954!

They weren't TOO bad, but I don't know how they were stored?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i think they actually reccomend against freezing them but if you are not trying to make them last super long i wouldnt see a problem... heat is way more of an enemy... i would just be concerned about the integrety of the packaging if the freeze and then get moved or something of that line

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Can you freeze Mre's without hurting them?

I see the lower the temperature they are stored at, the longer they will last, but can they be frozen?

I was thinking of sealing them in a large, airtight ammo can, and storing them in the garage.

Good or bad idea?

MREs are the zombies of the food world. Freeze them, burn them, shoot them... you just can't kill them and make them suitable to eat.

Top Bottom